Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys.

I would like to suggest a new forum topic. I don't know how popular it would be , but it could be very usefull. The topic would be something like, making the run.

This would be a collection of improving the running qualities of various mfg locos. I know there is a ton of stuff on Athearn out there, but it would be nice to have a central palce for all this. Just a thought.

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  09:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
Hi, Ralph.

We already have a forum area set up for discussions like you're suggesting. It's called the "Motive Power Forum" and has two major sub-forum areas for posting topics ("Steamin' on the line" and "Growling Diesels")
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=10
Unfortunately, with only one exception, neither area has drawn much attention in the last two or three years. The exception was last year when a group of Aussie modelers began a series of topics on building steam kits. But even those discussions died out for some reason.

Having said that, I invite you to begin posting topics on improving model loco performance in one of the areas - perhaps the Diesel forum - and see if we can get some activity and interest going again.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Hi, Ralph.

We already have a forum area set up for discussions like you're suggesting. It's called the "Motive Power Forum" and has two major sub-forum areas for posting topics ("Steamin' on the line" and "Growling Diesels")
Unfortunately, with only one exception, neither area has drawn much attention in the last two or three years. The exception was last year when a group of Aussie modelers began a series of topics on building steam kits. But even those discussions died out for some reason.

Having said that, I invite you to begin posting topics on improving model loco performance in one of the areas - perhaps the Diesel forum - and see if we can get some activity and interest going again.

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Hi, Ralph.

Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  6:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Just a word of input on the question of why there is not more going in those forums. Perhaps there are others out there like myself. I looked over the ares mentioned and thought of them as something for those who truly follow an engine of some variety and wanted to discuss the merits of one versus another. Nothing wrong with an interest of that type but just not one for me. I would tend to be more interested in a forum on making them run better but missed that point. Perhaps a rename of these two sections would get more input? Or am I the only one sleeping though the good parts?
Richard
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Just a word of input on the question of why there is not more going in those forums. Perhaps there are others out there like myself. I looked over the ares mentioned and thought of them as something for those who truly follow an engine of some variety and wanted to discuss the merits of one versus another. Nothing wrong with an interest of that type but just not one for me. I would tend to be more interested in a forum on making them run better but missed that point. Perhaps a rename of these two sections would get more input? Or am I the only one sleeping though the good parts?
Richard
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Good point Richard.
I recently purchased a powered RDC by Athearn which is powered with rubber bands and I was going to ask how to change out this arrangement.
I was going to post the question in the HO Forum and not the Motive Power Forum.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Good point Richard.
I recently purchased a powered RDC by Athearn which is powered with rubber bands and I was going to ask how to change out this arrangement.
I was going to post the question in the HO Forum and not the Motive Power Forum.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Good point Richard.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage
Richard, this past winter when we were restructuring RR-L and closing certain forum areas, I thought about combining the two subforums into a single one and renaming it. The idea was discussed with the Moderators, but the big stumbling block was that there is a large number of topics already in both forums (mostly from the first year). Moving all of those topics from one forum area to another was going to require a lot of time on either my part or Joe's. I don't mind spending the time to do it, but back in January and February I had no guarantee that it would be worth the time spent. If the interest is there, in terms of new topics posted and replies, I'll be more than happy to move the old topics and retitle the forum header. The forum description (on the contents page) can also be rewritten to be more descriptive of the new focus and topics. So let's get posting and see what kind of attention it draws....

Alternatively, if no one finds the info contained in the two existing forums to be of value, a whole new forum area can be opened and the old ones closed. Whichever way works best for the membership is the way I want to go.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Richard, this past winter when we were restructuring RR-L and closing certain forum areas, I thought about combining the two subforums into a single one and renaming it. The idea was discussed with the Moderators, but the big stumbling block was that there is a large number of topics already in both forums (mostly from the first year). Moving all of those topics from one forum area to another was going to require a lot of time on either my part or Joe's. I don't mind spending the time to do it, but back in January and February I had no guarantee that it would be worth the time spent. If the interest is there, in terms of new topics posted and replies, I'll be more than happy to move the old topics and retitle the forum header. The forum description (on the contents page) can also be rewritten to be more descriptive of the new focus and topics. So let's get posting and see what kind of attention it draws....

Alternatively, if no one finds the info contained in the two existing forums to be of value, a whole new forum area can be opened and the old ones closed. Whichever way works best for the membership is the way I want to go.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  07:41:28 AM  Show Profile
What prompted me to suggest this was the current article in MRG on repowering an Athearn swithcher with a NWSL repower kit. I would love info like this in heavy doses. I too agree with a possible topic name change. I did not think this is waht that forum was about and pretty much ignored it. My bad.
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

What prompted me to suggest this was the current article in MRG on repowering an Athearn swithcher with a NWSL repower kit. I would love info like this in heavy doses. I too agree with a possible topic name change. I did not think this is waht that forum was about and pretty much ignored it. My bad.
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5482 Posts

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000