New Topic  Topic Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

1147 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Here are some basic photos from the Northwest Logging Modelers Convention. These are only a bare minimum of things there was to see. They ran all form and manner of steam and diesel logging equipment all day long on Saturday.

Interior of the vendors hall.

The Roots Of Motive Power Yard on Sat AM, ready for visitors

The Climax and Shay sitting in the repair shed. These along with the Heisler were rolled out of the shed on Sat afternoon. Behind the Shay sits a dissasembeld loco undergoing re-tubing and restoration.

The Clyde tracklayer sitting on a steel heavy duty donkey moving car. there was a demonstration in the late morning showing how this unit worked.

The 2-6-2T under steam coupling to the log car.

This is the Estep diesel yarder...boy was it great to see this baby fired up.

This is a view of the donkeys and yarders on display that were fired up.

A view looking back through the repair shed. The 4 locomotives at right are the Shay, Climax, Heisler, and the 2-6-2. On the left is of course a steam shovel. Along with the locos, this shed was just filled with all manner of tractors, crawlers, cranes, and other assorted equipment.

This is a steam driven Raymond pile driver, that was converted to a loader...as with the other equipment there, they steamed it up and ran it around a bit...it was amazingly quiet.

Marc

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Australia
685 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage
Fantastic set of photos Marc.
Subject and quality.
Wow, that would be fun mess'n about with that stuff.
Thanks for these.
Cheers
Phil
Go to Top of Page

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Australia
685 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage
Fantastic set of photos Marc.
Subject and quality.
Wow, that would be fun mess'n about with that stuff.
Thanks for these.
Cheers
Phil
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31273 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  06:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Marc,
Other than the 2-6-2T, are any of the other engines in shape to fired up?

Edited by - Dutchman on 06/15/2005 06:35:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31273 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  06:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Marc,
Other than the 2-6-2T, are any of the other engines in shape to fired up?

Edited by - Dutchman on 06/15/2005 06:35:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
22862 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  06:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Marc, thanks for the photos. As I was looking at and reading how a lot of the machinary was fired up and running I was thinking what a noisy place it must of been. Then in the last picture you mentioned how quite the pile driver was.

You must of gotten a million new modeling ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
22862 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  06:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Marc, thanks for the photos. As I was looking at and reading how a lot of the machinary was fired up and running I was thinking what a noisy place it must of been. Then in the last picture you mentioned how quite the pile driver was.

You must of gotten a million new modeling ideas.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile
My favorites are the closeup of the Climax and the distance shot of the donkeys and yarder. Both photos really put the size of these things into perspective. Great photos, Marc! Thanks for posting them![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile
My favorites are the closeup of the Climax and the distance shot of the donkeys and yarder. Both photos really put the size of these things into perspective. Great photos, Marc! Thanks for posting them![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Australia
5845 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile
Just brilliant stuff... I'm ready to pack up and move over there.....any cheap board ????

"M" [:-snorkel]
Go to Top of Page

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Australia
5845 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:34:13 AM  Show Profile
Just brilliant stuff... I'm ready to pack up and move over there.....any cheap board ????

"M" [:-snorkel]
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Great pics - looks like a smokin' event .

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Great pics - looks like a smokin' event .

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1147 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  8:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Bruce....Only the 2-6-2 was fired up, (and the diesel switcher) the Shay, Heisler, and Climax, all still need various amounts of work.

Rick...I think after the yarder everything seemed quiet....although I don't think you could've slept to it.

And speaking of smokin....

...here is another photo of the yarder fired up...this image starts to give you an idea of the smoke this think put out....and if you got caught in it, you definitely smelled like it for the rest of the day.[:-bigeyes2]

...and two more of the Ramond, building up steam in the boiler. Note the scale of the small tractor in the one image.

I didn't get any photos of it, but at the same time we were in Willits (pop. +/-5000) there were also some 2000 bikers doing their anual "Redwood Run"...so between the unique small town folk, the hippiies, headshops, bikers and some 100 logging and rr geeks....it was an interesting mix/weekend.

Marc
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1147 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  8:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Bruce....Only the 2-6-2 was fired up, (and the diesel switcher) the Shay, Heisler, and Climax, all still need various amounts of work.

Rick...I think after the yarder everything seemed quiet....although I don't think you could've slept to it.

And speaking of smokin....

...here is another photo of the yarder fired up...this image starts to give you an idea of the smoke this think put out....and if you got caught in it, you definitely smelled like it for the rest of the day.[:-bigeyes2]

...and two more of the Ramond, building up steam in the boiler. Note the scale of the small tractor in the one image.

I didn't get any photos of it, but at the same time we were in Willits (pop. +/-5000) there were also some 2000 bikers doing their anual "Redwood Run"...so between the unique small town folk, the hippiies, headshops, bikers and some 100 logging and rr geeks....it was an interesting mix/weekend.

Marc
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10365 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile
What is a YARDER?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway