Prototype Interchange Tracks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slimrails

USA
7533 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Railroads had interchange tracks at various locations. One was in my old hometown of Hawthorne, NJ. The NYS&W crossed over the top of the Erie, but had an interchange track that went across to a small yard where it met the Erie. Here cars would get dropped off and unloaded or picked up by either road. I'm designing a similar idea into my layout allowing my other motive power to make guest appearances. Does anyone else have an interchange track on their layouts? What about real life interchange?

Edited by - slimrails on 04/15/2005 08:24:37 AM

George D

USA
11219 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile
Russ,

Our club layout has two interchange tracks plus a car ferry. They add a lot to operations since they are "wild cards" in that you can spot any kind of car or load on the track since it's going to a fictitious industry in a distant town. Combine that with a hidden staging yard or another interchange and you can have all kinds of freight car movements without needing to build specific industries on your layout.

George
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11219 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile
Russ,

Our club layout has two interchange tracks plus a car ferry. They add a lot to operations since they are "wild cards" in that you can spot any kind of car or load on the track since it's going to a fictitious industry in a distant town. Combine that with a hidden staging yard or another interchange and you can have all kinds of freight car movements without needing to build specific industries on your layout.

George
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5239 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  09:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
A little different from what you described, Russ....

I will have a classification yard that is a terminating point for my Lehigh Valley and Wyoming Valley trains. They will interchange there.

But, the closer scenario to what you described is what I am planning for my coal mine. The mine will have its own switcher to shuttle cars to and from an interchange track with the Wyoming Valley.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5239 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  09:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
A little different from what you described, Russ....

I will have a classification yard that is a terminating point for my Lehigh Valley and Wyoming Valley trains. They will interchange there.

But, the closer scenario to what you described is what I am planning for my coal mine. The mine will have its own switcher to shuttle cars to and from an interchange track with the Wyoming Valley.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2125 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile
The L&WS has a two staging yard representing the Central of Georgia and Georgia Southern. One track is for inbound cars, the other is for outbound. Before the operating session I put the needed cars on the inbound track and remove the cars from the outbound. Works just fine. I guess that makes it a "manually interactive visible staging system." OK, fiddle yard.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2125 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile
The L&WS has a two staging yard representing the Central of Georgia and Georgia Southern. One track is for inbound cars, the other is for outbound. Before the operating session I put the needed cars on the inbound track and remove the cars from the outbound. Works just fine. I guess that makes it a "manually interactive visible staging system." OK, fiddle yard.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Some type of interchange would seem to be needed for any but the simplest railroad. Something of the nature of log to mill or mine to crusher would not need an interchange but it would be a really strange railroad that could survive shipping only from and to industries on their own route. On my layout I use a simple carcard and waybill system to route the cars. For interchange I have a track to simulate traffic to/from the SLSF interchanging with the MOPAC. At the other end of this branchline I have a through track with small yard where cars can be sorted to go north or south on the main. The interchange track is great for generating traffic of types and size that can not be supported by the industries on the branchline. For instance loads of new cars passing through from St. Louis on the SLSF picked up by the MOPAC to go south. No industries big enough to support it locally but logical in this way. With determined effort it is possible to route the cars so that they wind up in the right spot to turn and go the other way when the carcards are flipped at the end of a cycle. No fiddle yard needed then. A real pain to get adjusted to avoid a crunch of cars requiring an extra to be run but that can add to the operation at some point in thew future. Right now the whole thing is torn down, in boxes and waiting for a new layout to be built. I highly recommend an interchange of some type. Richard
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Some type of interchange would seem to be needed for any but the simplest railroad. Something of the nature of log to mill or mine to crusher would not need an interchange but it would be a really strange railroad that could survive shipping only from and to industries on their own route. On my layout I use a simple carcard and waybill system to route the cars. For interchange I have a track to simulate traffic to/from the SLSF interchanging with the MOPAC. At the other end of this branchline I have a through track with small yard where cars can be sorted to go north or south on the main. The interchange track is great for generating traffic of types and size that can not be supported by the industries on the branchline. For instance loads of new cars passing through from St. Louis on the SLSF picked up by the MOPAC to go south. No industries big enough to support it locally but logical in this way. With determined effort it is possible to route the cars so that they wind up in the right spot to turn and go the other way when the carcards are flipped at the end of a cycle. No fiddle yard needed then. A real pain to get adjusted to avoid a crunch of cars requiring an extra to be run but that can add to the operation at some point in thew future. Right now the whole thing is torn down, in boxes and waiting for a new layout to be built. I highly recommend an interchange of some type. Richard
Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  08:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
Another interesting tidbit of an interchange operation is what road's crews switch it. On a friend's layout we had an interchange with the Frisco and one of those agreements whereby us (MP) and Frisco took 1 year turns operating the interchange but it was always Frisco's turn to justify a little foreign road power and operations on the layout.

Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  08:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
Another interesting tidbit of an interchange operation is what road's crews switch it. On a friend's layout we had an interchange with the Frisco and one of those agreements whereby us (MP) and Frisco took 1 year turns operating the interchange but it was always Frisco's turn to justify a little foreign road power and operations on the layout.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000