Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 4

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25313 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  8:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Well, with less than a week to go, the backshop at the Macopin Lake Railroad is busy getting a reefer ready for its road trip.

Yes, there really was a Macopin Lake Railroad, and it interchanged with the Susquehanna right here in my hometown of West Milford. You can still see the right-of-way in the woods. It really only had two reasons for existing. Carrying passengers up to a hotel on the lake, and carting ice that was cut from the lake back down the mountain. For more info on the railroad, check out this link.

http://www.nyswths.org/macopin.htm

This was my first attempt at making my own decals. I used decal paper from MicroMark. The first few attemps resulted in a blue cloud of expletives floating in the air above my bench. The second time around, I gave the decals three coats of fixative spray, and it gave the decals more substance. The first ones were way too thin.

Well, some weathering, and this car is ready for its long journey.[:-eyebrows]

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

slimrails

USA
7545 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  9:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Bruce...

Does that car get assigned to the Dutchman Ale brewery? Here's my box. I was so busy with the flimsy doors staying in place that I didn't notice the latches are in the wrong position! [:-dunce] Oh, well... It also has a lazy coupler spring on the 'B' end of the car, too. Oh, well...

Russ [:-dopey]

Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7545 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  9:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Bruce...

Does that car get assigned to the Dutchman Ale brewery? Here's my box. I was so busy with the flimsy doors staying in place that I didn't notice the latches are in the wrong position! [:-dunce] Oh, well... It also has a lazy coupler spring on the 'B' end of the car, too. Oh, well...

Russ [:-dopey]

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  12:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Here's the boxcar I finished tonight to use for the interchange:

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  12:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Here's the boxcar I finished tonight to use for the interchange:

Go to Top of Page

TomPM
Fireman

USA
4648 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  12:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
This is the car I will be using.

The car is custom painted and decaled from an Athearn undecorated kit and Walthers decals set.

I need to do some tuning up like replace the 33" with 36" wheels so I can get rid of the washers on the trucks. Also I need to do some touch up weathering with the airbrush.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100
Go to Top of Page

TomPM
Fireman

USA
4648 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  12:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
This is the car I will be using.

The car is custom painted and decaled from an Athearn undecorated kit and Walthers decals set.

I need to do some tuning up like replace the 33" with 36" wheels so I can get rid of the washers on the trucks. Also I need to do some touch up weathering with the airbrush.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7545 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Lookin' real good, guys! [:-thumbu] I'm going to try to reset those [:-censored] doors on my car before Friday.
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7545 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Lookin' real good, guys! [:-thumbu] I'm going to try to reset those [:-censored] doors on my car before Friday.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11270 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  6:32:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm ready to send my boxcar out into the world. I have a pair of club cars that are Athern cars, lettered by Branchline. I assembled the one on the right a few years ago adding A Line metal stirrups and Details West cut levers. The trucks were brush painted with Ceramcoat and the body weathered with chalks. The one on the left I assembled this week with the same details and the thick Athern roof walk was replaced with a Kadee roof walk, which I also changed on the first one. On the new one I also added brake lines and hoses under the car and finished it by weathering it with oil washes.

Well, I forgot that the brake details would restrict the rotation of the trucks.[:-banghead] (Russ, you forgot to mention this when you planted the seed in my brain.) It will probably run on our club layout since we have a minimum radius of 36" on the main lines, but it won't work on most home layouts, so I'm going to send the one on the right to Steve. I probably won't get it in the mail till Friday.

George
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11270 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  6:32:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm ready to send my boxcar out into the world. I have a pair of club cars that are Athern cars, lettered by Branchline. I assembled the one on the right a few years ago adding A Line metal stirrups and Details West cut levers. The trucks were brush painted with Ceramcoat and the body weathered with chalks. The one on the left I assembled this week with the same details and the thick Athern roof walk was replaced with a Kadee roof walk, which I also changed on the first one. On the new one I also added brake lines and hoses under the car and finished it by weathering it with oil washes.

Well, I forgot that the brake details would restrict the rotation of the trucks.[:-banghead] (Russ, you forgot to mention this when you planted the seed in my brain.) It will probably run on our club layout since we have a minimum radius of 36" on the main lines, but it won't work on most home layouts, so I'm going to send the one on the right to Steve. I probably won't get it in the mail till Friday.

George
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  7:27:53 PM  Show Profile
That's no fair, Bruce, . .I want to run Eddie's MOPAC car on my layout! That's a real nice car; can't wait to see pictures of it as it's interchanged.

Allen
NORTHEASTERN PACIFIC RIM INTERCHANGE YARDMASTER

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth
Here's the boxcar I finished tonight to use for the interchange: . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  7:27:53 PM  Show Profile
That's no fair, Bruce, . .I want to run Eddie's MOPAC car on my layout! That's a real nice car; can't wait to see pictures of it as it's interchanged.

Allen
NORTHEASTERN PACIFIC RIM INTERCHANGE YARDMASTER

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth
Here's the boxcar I finished tonight to use for the interchange: . .

Allen
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  7:34:11 PM  Show Profile
All of the cars are really lookin' great! Mine may be the only car right out of the paint shop. Maybe someone will offer to do a little weathering, . .hint, hint.

Allen
NPRI, in the West of course!

quote:
Originally posted by George D

I'm ready to send my boxcar out into the world. . .

Allen
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  7:34:11 PM  Show Profile
All of the cars are really lookin' great! Mine may be the only car right out of the paint shop. Maybe someone will offer to do a little weathering, . .hint, hint.

Allen
NPRI, in the West of course!

quote:

I'm ready to send my boxcar out into the world. . .

Allen
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  7:40:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:

. so I'm going to send the one on the right to Steve. I probably won't get it in the mail till Friday.

Nice looking car, George, I'm looking forward to running it on the layout. [:-thumbu] We'll do some neat photos for you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000