Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  12:02:21 AM  Show Profile
I made about 50 trees tonight and started planting some of them in the river area. There are two
basic methods that I used for making them.

(1) The more full looking trees are made with a real twig trunk. I used polyfiber that I had pulled out
very thin and spray-painted black. I then draped it over the trunk and hot-glued it at several points.
I then used hair-spray and sprayed all over it and rolled it in a pan of Woodland Scenics ground foam.
Did two applications of this and a final coat of spray to fix everything in place.
(2) I used a dried flower called "gyp" that I found at a local craft store. Looks kind of like
oversized Baby's Breath plants. I clipped tree sized pieces and stuck them in foam, and then painted the
trunks brown and upper parts green. Then I sprayed hair-spray on them and rolled them in the ground foam,
like the others, doing two applications.

I need to add some undergrowth and such to hide the hot-glue where I set them into the layout.

Closeup of the trees:

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/08/2005 12:05:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Eddie, the trees look very good. I need to get building some of my own.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Eddie, the trees look very good. I need to get building some of my own.
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Dave, I have had the Jack Work article and drawings of that bridge for around 25 years and have always intended to build the bridge "someday." Yours is the first I have seen actually constructed from the article, and it looks great![:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

First of all-- Eddie, your trees are reproducing beautifully! You have a perfect match to your background. Just remember that your foliage will be a little less green underneath your bridges.

Mike-
Maybe we can discuss the Jack Work bridge whilst Eddie spins HIS thread. I was tickled that you, too, were also drawn to Jack's article. There can't be that many of us!

The original article appeared once in MR a long time ago and was then reprinted in Kalmbach's first bridge book. It didn't make the cut to the revised second edition.
I've never heard about anyone else building this thing either.

For those of you who have never seen Jack's model, here it is:

I didn't duplicate Jack's wooden abutments, but opted for stonework. Otherwise, mine's the same.

Jack measured the prototype(s) and drew them with great accuracy. One thing I learned from him is that wood bridges of this type weren't simply butted together, but were "toed in." Note in the picture of my model below that the diagonals are all toed into each other.

There must have been a 'master axe handler' at the disposal of the bridge engineer to perform this kind of precision work.

Jack's article was written in an older style where one would have to read between the lines to compile a materials list. The prototype bridge was built from a vast number of different sizes of lumber. With a lot of research I was able to duplicate all the sizes. If anybody is interested I believe I still have the stripwood list I compiled.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Dave, I have had the Jack Work article and drawings of that bridge for around 25 years and have always intended to build the bridge "someday." Yours is the first I have seen actually constructed from the article, and it looks great![:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

First of all-- Eddie, your trees are reproducing beautifully! You have a perfect match to your background. Just remember that your foliage will be a little less green underneath your bridges.

Mike-
Maybe we can discuss the Jack Work bridge whilst Eddie spins HIS thread. I was tickled that you, too, were also drawn to Jack's article. There can't be that many of us!

The original article appeared once in MR a long time ago and was then reprinted in Kalmbach's first bridge book. It didn't make the cut to the revised second edition.
I've never heard about anyone else building this thing either.

For those of you who have never seen Jack's model, here it is:

I didn't duplicate Jack's wooden abutments, but opted for stonework. Otherwise, mine's the same.

Jack measured the prototype(s) and drew them with great accuracy. One thing I learned from him is that wood bridges of this type weren't simply butted together, but were "toed in." Note in the picture of my model below that the diagonals are all toed into each other.

There must have been a 'master axe handler' at the disposal of the bridge engineer to perform this kind of precision work.

Jack's article was written in an older style where one would have to read between the lines to compile a materials list. The prototype bridge was built from a vast number of different sizes of lumber. With a lot of research I was able to duplicate all the sizes. If anybody is interested I believe I still have the stripwood list I compiled.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Dave - That bridge of yours is really beautiful. Truly a work of art! I have an old Campbell
wood trestle kit in my to-do pile, this makes me want to get it out and do it.

Progress:
I added some ground cover tonight and some foreground trees to the left bank. I'm thinking
I'm getting close to calling this side done - don't want to overdo it. What do you guys think?
I don't want to clutter it up too much in the foreground so that I can't see back to where the
bridge will be.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/09/2005 12:32:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Dave - That bridge of yours is really beautiful. Truly a work of art! I have an old Campbell
wood trestle kit in my to-do pile, this makes me want to get it out and do it.

Progress:
I added some ground cover tonight and some foreground trees to the left bank. I'm thinking
I'm getting close to calling this side done - don't want to overdo it. What do you guys think?
I don't want to clutter it up too much in the foreground so that I can't see back to where the
bridge will be.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/09/2005 12:32:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:46:44 AM  Show Profile
O.k., I couldn't stand it - I had to go down and set the bridge temporarily in place and take a picture.
Here it is. I like the perspective from down below like this.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/09/2005 12:47:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:46:44 AM  Show Profile
O.k., I couldn't stand it - I had to go down and set the bridge temporarily in place and take a picture.
Here it is. I like the perspective from down below like this.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/09/2005 12:47:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:10:05 AM  Show Profile
OK, Eddie, while that bridge is in place, have your little people cross to the right side and have the landscapers begin their work. I agree that the left side can be declaired substantially done. Very nice job indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:10:05 AM  Show Profile
OK, Eddie, while that bridge is in place, have your little people cross to the right side and have the landscapers begin their work. I agree that the left side can be declaired substantially done. Very nice job indeed.
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6492 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  07:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Great angle, Eddie.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6492 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  07:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Great angle, Eddie.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Eddie,

Nice... I had to look twice to see where the scenery stopped and the backdrop began.
Great job of blending the two. Love the angle of the photo shot.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Eddie,

Nice... I had to look twice to see where the scenery stopped and the backdrop began.
Great job of blending the two. Love the angle of the photo shot.

Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000