Page: of 14

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:55:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth

Well, I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've done anything with this river scenery.[:-bigeyes]

Eddie, isn't it amazing how two-month chunks of our lives just fly by? I like the background painting. I am sure that it will blend in nicely with the foreground scene.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:55:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Well, I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've done anything with this river scenery.[:-bigeyes]

Eddie, isn't it amazing how two-month chunks of our lives just fly by? I like the background painting. I am sure that it will blend in nicely with the foreground scene.
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  02:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:

I temporarily placed the bridges back in place to see how they'll look with the land forms. I like it.

A couple of years ago I started a similar project. For MANY years I had wanted to build a fascinating wooden bridge from an old Jack Work article. After I had the bridge 90% complete I decided to build a large diorama for it. My friend, MMR Gerry Leone, suggested that I make the bridge removable for practical reasons. I took his advice and worked out the mechanical aspects. I can now easily plop it in and out. However I still haven't settled on the easiest electrical connects/disconnects. Any advice? Here's a shot of my "Jack Work Bridge."

quote:

I've started experimenting with how I'm going to do the rock work. I took some plaster of paris of mixed it up and globbed it out on some cardboard to experiment. I simply formed it to basic shape and am waiting for it to dry. After that I'll try carving it some to get some more rock like shape to it. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

I just love rocks in all their shapes and colors. My best advice is to take a lot of photos in your modeling area. Modeling what you don't know firsthand is doomed to failure.

As a professional artist I think carving is best. Using commercial rubber castings or your own makes little difference. Just keep referencing actual photos. They're all good.

I always let castings set before applying them to the hydrocal shell.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  02:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:

I temporarily placed the bridges back in place to see how they'll look with the land forms. I like it.

A couple of years ago I started a similar project. For MANY years I had wanted to build a fascinating wooden bridge from an old Jack Work article. After I had the bridge 90% complete I decided to build a large diorama for it. My friend, MMR Gerry Leone, suggested that I make the bridge removable for practical reasons. I took his advice and worked out the mechanical aspects. I can now easily plop it in and out. However I still haven't settled on the easiest electrical connects/disconnects. Any advice? Here's a shot of my "Jack Work Bridge."

quote:

I've started experimenting with how I'm going to do the rock work. I took some plaster of paris of mixed it up and globbed it out on some cardboard to experiment. I simply formed it to basic shape and am waiting for it to dry. After that I'll try carving it some to get some more rock like shape to it. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

I just love rocks in all their shapes and colors. My best advice is to take a lot of photos in your modeling area. Modeling what you don't know firsthand is doomed to failure.

As a professional artist I think carving is best. Using commercial rubber castings or your own makes little difference. Just keep referencing actual photos. They're all good.

I always let castings set before applying them to the hydrocal shell.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
Dave an idea for the connections;
I used this for the lights in my engine shop.
Connect the track (in your case) to .025" brass rod - near the ends hide it in the timbers.
Right below the rods insert (protruding below the benchwork)1/16 brass/copper tube.
Solder your track wires to the tubes below the benchwork(I'd do both ends for a total of 4)
A slight kink in the rod will ensure a good connection.
Mj
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
Connect the track (in your case) to .025" brass rod - near the ends hide it in the timbers.
Right below the rods insert (protruding below the benchwork)1/16 brass/copper tube.
Solder your track wires to the tubes below the benchwork(I'd do both ends for a total of 4)
Mj
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:28:20 PM  Show Profile
I got down to work on the base scenery this evening. Below are some pics. A large portion of this area will be
covered with trees, vines, undergrowth, etc., but this will serve as the base scenery. I'm pleased with how it's
turned out so far, although I was literally sweating while doing it, thinking "Do I know what I'm doing???" [:-shake]
I need to add some scenery material to blend the rock castings in with the ground and each other better as well.
I think it's going to be o.k. once I get some more stuff on it and begin building it up. Makes a real contrast
with that right bank, doesn't it? And MikeC, you were right - once I added the green, it seemed to really come
to life.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/05/2005 10:34:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:28:20 PM  Show Profile
I got down to work on the base scenery this evening. Below are some pics. A large portion of this area will be
covered with trees, vines, undergrowth, etc., but this will serve as the base scenery. I'm pleased with how it's
turned out so far, although I was literally sweating while doing it, thinking "Do I know what I'm doing???" [:-shake]
I need to add some scenery material to blend the rock castings in with the ground and each other better as well.
I think it's going to be o.k. once I get some more stuff on it and begin building it up. Makes a real contrast
with that right bank, doesn't it? And MikeC, you were right - once I added the green, it seemed to really come
to life.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/05/2005 10:34:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
It is really starting to come toghether! Please keep those update pictures coming.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:37:15 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
It is really starting to come toghether! Please keep those update pictures coming.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Dave, I have had the Jack Work article and drawings of that bridge for around 25 years and have always intended to build the bridge "someday." Yours is the first I have seen actually constructed from the article, and it looks great![:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Eddie, yes, you do know what you're doing, and you're doing it quite well! The scene is coming together very nicely. It's going to look really neat once everything is in place![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Dave, I have had the Jack Work article and drawings of that bridge for around 25 years and have always intended to build the bridge "someday." Yours is the first I have seen actually constructed from the article, and it looks great![:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Eddie, yes, you do know what you're doing, and you're doing it quite well! The scene is coming together very nicely. It's going to look really neat once everything is in place![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lab-dad

Mj

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking along those lines, but your solution is perfect.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lab-dad

Mj

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking along those lines, but your solution is perfect.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  12:02:21 AM  Show Profile
I made about 50 trees tonight and started planting some of them in the river area. There are two
basic methods that I used for making them.

(1) The more full looking trees are made with a real twig trunk. I used polyfiber that I had pulled out
very thin and spray-painted black. I then draped it over the trunk and hot-glued it at several points.
I then used hair-spray and sprayed all over it and rolled it in a pan of Woodland Scenics ground foam.
Did two applications of this and a final coat of spray to fix everything in place.
(2) I used a dried flower called "gyp" that I found at a local craft store. Looks kind of like
oversized Baby's Breath plants. I clipped tree sized pieces and stuck them in foam, and then painted the
trunks brown and upper parts green. Then I sprayed hair-spray on them and rolled them in the ground foam,
like the others, doing two applications.

I need to add some undergrowth and such to hide the hot-glue where I set them into the layout.

Closeup of the trees:

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 06/08/2005 12:05:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000