Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Okay, mow if Eddie is ready, let's really try to confuse him!! Once you get the rock casting down and run out of rock types to copy, (as if that is possible) I have found some other things to copy. Eddie lives in an area that has a lot of pine trees with real course knobby bark. I picked up several bags of them thinking they look a lot like eroded limestone outcroppings when turned sideways. The bark itself turned out to be hard to get to the color I wanted. From there I went into making latex castings that I do like. You will find that the bark is made up of lots of small layers. These look like the layers of sediment laid down on the lake bottoms when the rocks were formed. I do like Mike and wet the bark and then go through waiting for several layers of latex to dry and then peel it off for the mold. Really quite easy and cheap to do with an unlimited variety of forms and sizes to make. If you gather up 8-10 to coat at a time you can get quite a bunch in a short time. The rocks then come out with the layers already built in ready to stain. One trick to make them easier to use is to wedge the rock bark or whatever you use for the master into something like the bottom of a shoe box. This leaves half the rock sticking up and you can coat up, over, and around the rock making a 1/2 inch edge around the master which holds the latex form in shape attached to the box for filling with plaster when it is finished. Works as a cheap, ready made holder as such. Richard
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I bought some more WS rock molds and cast some more rocks with hydrocal. I put them in place with some Liquid Nails, then used some more plastercloth to work the edges into the existing base. Then more tan base paint over the rocks. I thinned the tan paint down with water to a 50/50 mix to make it flow into the crevices of the rocks better. I'm concentrating on the valley walls right now, will work on the river bed after the slopes are done.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I bought some more WS rock molds and cast some more rocks with hydrocal. I put them in place with some Liquid Nails, then used some more plastercloth to work the edges into the existing base. Then more tan base paint over the rocks. I thinned the tan paint down with water to a 50/50 mix to make it flow into the crevices of the rocks better. I'm concentrating on the valley walls right now, will work on the river bed after the slopes are done.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
It is coming nicely. How many different molds are you working with?
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31247 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
It is coming nicely. How many different molds are you working with?
Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Ed, those look they were alot faster to make then the method Mike and I were talking about. My guy at the LHS builds layouts for folks and uses plaster to attach them to scenery and just feathers that into the hillside or whatever and then the coloring will be the same as it is the same thing. I was hoping in one your next couple progress shots could you add something to get a sense of scale of your project? And don't be trying to fool us with one of those huge pennies, thanks Pat.

Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Ed, those look they were alot faster to make then the method Mike and I were talking about. My guy at the LHS builds layouts for folks and uses plaster to attach them to scenery and just feathers that into the hillside or whatever and then the coloring will be the same as it is the same thing. I was hoping in one your next couple progress shots could you add something to get a sense of scale of your project? And don't be trying to fool us with one of those huge pennies, thanks Pat.

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Eddie, you're at the stage now where this whole scene will really start to come to life. A little color to the rock castings.... a little greenery and dirt..... some trees...... pretty soon you've got a beautiful scene that makes a great backdrop the the locos and rolling stock![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Eddie, you're at the stage now where this whole scene will really start to come to life. A little color to the rock castings.... a little greenery and dirt..... some trees...... pretty soon you've got a beautiful scene that makes a great backdrop the the locos and rolling stock![:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Good job Eddie. [:-thumbu] It's not at all difficult to visualize how great the scene is gonna look with greenery, water and that super bridge. Looking forward to seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Good job Eddie. [:-thumbu] It's not at all difficult to visualize how great the scene is gonna look with greenery, water and that super bridge. Looking forward to seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm looking forward to getting on with green stuff now.

Bruce - I'm using 4 different molds right now, which gives a good variation. I turned some of the castings upside down when I applied them so the repitition wouldn't be as noticeable. I'll try to disguise it further with some lichen and such.

Belg - No big pennies, but each section of the bridge span is 15" long and there are 3 of them, so it's 45" from one abutement to the other. Pretty wide expanse across there.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm looking forward to getting on with green stuff now.

Bruce - I'm using 4 different molds right now, which gives a good variation. I turned some of the castings upside down when I applied them so the repitition wouldn't be as noticeable. I'll try to disguise it further with some lichen and such.

Belg - No big pennies, but each section of the bridge span is 15" long and there are 3 of them, so it's 45" from one abutement to the other. Pretty wide expanse across there.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've done anything with this river scenery.[:-bigeyes] Talk about a slacker! [:-ashamed] Tonight I got ambitious and decided to paint in the background (pic below). I did it kinda loose and vague so it won't detract from the scenery that'll be in front of it.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  11:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've done anything with this river scenery.[:-bigeyes] Talk about a slacker! [:-ashamed] Tonight I got ambitious and decided to paint in the background (pic below). I did it kinda loose and vague so it won't detract from the scenery that'll be in front of it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000