Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about where to find the plaster cloth, Jim. I look in the yellow pages and see if I can find someone around here with it. Would be a lot cheaper, I would think.

I temporarily placed the bridges back in place to see how they'll look with the land forms. I like it.

I've started experimenting with how I'm going to do the rock work. I took some plaster of paris of mixed it up and globbed it out on some cardboard to experiment. In the below photo, I simply formed it to basic shape and am waiting for it to dry. After that I'll try carving it some to get some more rock like shape to it. Any tips or advice is appreciated. My wife says it looks like a cow pattie. Thanks, hon.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth

I temporarily placed the bridges back in place to see how they'll look with the land forms. I like it.

Eddie, I like it too! Oh, and I can see why your wife said it reminded her of a cow pattie.

Edited by - Dutchman on 03/20/2005 4:43:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth

Eddie, I like it too! Oh, and I can see why your wife said it reminded her of a cow pattie.

Edited by - Dutchman on 03/20/2005 4:43:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  5:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Just don't color it olive brown, Eddie!

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  5:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Just don't color it olive brown, Eddie!

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  6:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, my plaster of paris experiment failed miserably. I tried to carve it after it dried and it was a mess - basically looked like someone scratching on it. So I tried to glob some in place on the layout and carve it there while it was setting up. That looked even worse - it looked like, well....worse than a cow pattie.

I started thinking again. [:-bigeyes] "What makes the best looking structures? Why, wood, of course." I then think "What would make the best looking rocks? Um...real rocks?" So I set off for Home Depot and got some rocks, pebbles, and sand. They come in 50 lb. bags at about $3 a bag, so the price is right. Here's a pic of samples of all 3:

I dumped some out on a piece of cardboard to see how it would all look together and added an HO figure to get an idea of scale. I don't think it looks bad. What do you guys think? I'm thinking that I can hot glue the large ones in place, put the sand down followed by the pebble sized ones, and then use a glue/water mix to set the sand and pebbles in place.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 03/20/2005 6:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  6:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, my plaster of paris experiment failed miserably. I tried to carve it after it dried and it was a mess - basically looked like someone scratching on it. So I tried to glob some in place on the layout and carve it there while it was setting up. That looked even worse - it looked like, well....worse than a cow pattie.

I started thinking again. [:-bigeyes] "What makes the best looking structures? Why, wood, of course." I then think "What would make the best looking rocks? Um...real rocks?" So I set off for Home Depot and got some rocks, pebbles, and sand. They come in 50 lb. bags at about $3 a bag, so the price is right. Here's a pic of samples of all 3:

I dumped some out on a piece of cardboard to see how it would all look together and added an HO figure to get an idea of scale. I don't think it looks bad. What do you guys think? I'm thinking that I can hot glue the large ones in place, put the sand down followed by the pebble sized ones, and then use a glue/water mix to set the sand and pebbles in place.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 03/20/2005 6:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  7:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eddie,
I like the look of the real rocks etc. I think that if you are selective you can create a very believable scene.

I am not sure but maybe Mike who has aquariums can fill you in but I think a pet store that carries aquariums might also carry polished rocks which in a river many are since the water rushing over them tends to polish the rocks.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  7:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eddie,
I like the look of the real rocks etc. I think that if you are selective you can create a very believable scene.

I am not sure but maybe Mike who has aquariums can fill you in but I think a pet store that carries aquariums might also carry polished rocks which in a river many are since the water rushing over them tends to polish the rocks.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:24:41 PM  Show Profile
The base coat of tan colored paint has been applied now.

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  11:24:41 PM  Show Profile
The base coat of tan colored paint has been applied now.

Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10202 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile
RE: Plaster cloth, google PLASTER CLOTH. I came up with a few possibilities.

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?c=46&p=76810
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0053816000000
http://www.dickblick.com/zz335/06/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=2056

Michaels also sells plaster cloth for about $5 a 4" x 10' roll. Bought two rolls last week.

Your work, as usual, is inspiring.

PS: I think your cow is getting too much calcium in her diet!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/21/2005 09:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10202 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile
RE: Plaster cloth, google PLASTER CLOTH. I came up with a few possibilities.

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?c=46&p=76810
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0053816000000
http://www.dickblick.com/zz335/06/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=2056

Michaels also sells plaster cloth for about $5 a 4" x 10' roll. Bought two rolls last week.

Your work, as usual, is inspiring.

PS: I think your cow is getting too much calcium in her diet!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/21/2005 09:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:35:22 AM  Show Profile
Been out of town the past few days in Branson, MO, doing the Silver Dollar City thing with the kids for Spring break. Still mulling over how I want to do these rocks. While driving up there, I looked at a lot of rock formations along the highway, particularly they section of US65 that runs across the AR / MO state line. Looks just like ceiling tile! I'm thinking I'm going to use a mixture of real and fake rocks, with the real ones primarily in the river bed. Will be experimenting some this weekend and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:35:22 AM  Show Profile
Been out of town the past few days in Branson, MO, doing the Silver Dollar City thing with the kids for Spring break. Still mulling over how I want to do these rocks. While driving up there, I looked at a lot of rock formations along the highway, particularly they section of US65 that runs across the AR / MO state line. Looks just like ceiling tile! I'm thinking I'm going to use a mixture of real and fake rocks, with the real ones primarily in the river bed. Will be experimenting some this weekend and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000