Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
I finally decided to get busy on the river area of my layout and begin the scenery construction. As some of you may remember, I posted a pic a few months ago showing the bridge I had completed to go in the scene. Here's a pic of the bridge itself:

I had temporarily installed the bridge so I could continue running, but today I removed it from the scene so I could begin the scenery. Here's a pic of where it will go. You can see I have stapled some cardboard on the sides of the benchwork to keep the scenery undersupport from falling out the sides.

Next, I took some beaded foam I had and cut it into rough shapes to form the main land masses in the river valley. Man, that stuff was bad to work with. Little white beads of foam everywhere. [:-banghead] Thank goodness for shop-vacs though. [:-eyebrows]

Next, I used aluminum screen wire to form the land masses. I stapled one side in place and then crumpled up newspaper to fill in the spaces and stampled the other side in place. You can see on that right side that I ran out of newspaper. So I started looking around. [:-idea] Then I remember that I had a HUGE sack of styrofoam peanuts (eBay) just sitting under the layout. What a perfect use for them! They filled the voids very nicely when I had stapled the screen in place on the bottom and sides. Then I just poured them in. When I stapled the top down tight, it made a very rigid mass.

Next I need to begin laying on the plastercloth. Will post more pics as I progress along.

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Eddie, I'm really looking forward to being able to follow your progress on this. Beginning with the first photos you posted on the forum (getting close to 3 years ago now!), I have been a fan of your layout and the scenes you create!

I like your idea for the foam peanuts. That's one I'm going to remember for the future.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Eddie, I'm really looking forward to being able to follow your progress on this. Beginning with the first photos you posted on the forum (getting close to 3 years ago now!), I have been a fan of your layout and the scenes you create!

I like your idea for the foam peanuts. That's one I'm going to remember for the future.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12926 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  9:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Eddie I never use the white beaded foam for the reason you mention. Like your idea on the "peanuts"! Looking forward to seeing more progress photos.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12926 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  9:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Eddie I never use the white beaded foam for the reason you mention. Like your idea on the "peanuts"! Looking forward to seeing more progress photos.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31162 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
That is a great idea with the packing peanuts. I am looking forward to your updates.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31162 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  10:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Eddie,
That is a great idea with the packing peanuts. I am looking forward to your updates.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  11:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I got the plaster cloth down now, so the land forms are starting to take shape and it's easier to visualize how it's going to look now. The Woodland Scenics plaster cloth is a bit pricey, but sure does make easy, quick work of this.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 03/19/2005 11:25:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  11:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I got the plaster cloth down now, so the land forms are starting to take shape and it's easier to visualize how it's going to look now. The Woodland Scenics plaster cloth is a bit pricey, but sure does make easy, quick work of this.

Edited by - Eddie Landreth on 03/19/2005 11:25:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

jar
New Hire

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  12:45:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth

Have you tried a medical supply house, I use plaster empregnated cloth used for making casts, it's really cheap and you can get it in 100 foot rolls about 3" wide.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

jar
New Hire

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  12:45:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Landreth

Have you tried a medical supply house, I use plaster empregnated cloth used for making casts, it's really cheap and you can get it in 100 foot rolls about 3" wide.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jar

Jim

We're lucky enough to have medical facilities much less supply houses [:-banghead]

Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jar

Jim

We're lucky enough to have medical facilities much less supply houses [:-banghead]

Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Jerry, that is some excellent progress your making there and recycling as well. I remember reading somewhere about someone who took individual peanuts and hot glued them ontop of the base plaster then covered with more plaster cloth to simulate boulders. Pat

Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Jerry, that is some excellent progress your making there and recycling as well. I remember reading somewhere about someone who took individual peanuts and hot glued them ontop of the base plaster then covered with more plaster cloth to simulate boulders. Pat

Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about where to find the plaster cloth, Jim. I look in the yellow pages and see if I can find someone around here with it. Would be a lot cheaper, I would think.

I temporarily placed the bridges back in place to see how they'll look with the land forms. I like it.

I've started experimenting with how I'm going to do the rock work. I took some plaster of paris of mixed it up and globbed it out on some cardboard to experiment. In the below photo, I simply formed it to basic shape and am waiting for it to dry. After that I'll try carving it some to get some more rock like shape to it. Any tips or advice is appreciated. My wife says it looks like a cow pattie. Thanks, hon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000