Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The Fall of the RF&W, the rise of the EC&W....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  01:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Progress report 31/3/2005

Base benchwork is done waiting for joists. Backdrop panels installed. They are attached with Liquid Nails and the temporary screw holes have been filled. Just a bit of sanding to be done then the backdrop painting can begin (first layer that is).

Now a question. I am installing 2 coved corners. What do you guys use for the curvy bits - I was thinking cardboard?

Photos to come - they HAVE been taken, just gotta reduce the size for upload.

Cheers

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Piccy time! At last.....

Views on my "room in a room":

My "wall unit" tops & bottoms":

Benchwork pre joists being installed:

The last shot above shows the "gap" that I have to fill with something removable/swingable for entry purposes. Haven't decided what yet.

I have actually pretty much finished this bit now (aside from the "bridging the gap" bit). All backdrop panels have now been installed and the screw holes have been filled. They are now ready for sanding. All joists will be cut tomorrow and basically laid in place ready for fixing to the L-girders.

Thats it for now. more pics as I slowly go along.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Piccy time! At last.....

Views on my "room in a room":

My "wall unit" tops & bottoms":

Benchwork pre joists being installed:

The last shot above shows the "gap" that I have to fill with something removable/swingable for entry purposes. Haven't decided what yet.

I have actually pretty much finished this bit now (aside from the "bridging the gap" bit). All backdrop panels have now been installed and the screw holes have been filled. They are now ready for sanding. All joists will be cut tomorrow and basically laid in place ready for fixing to the L-girders.

Thats it for now. more pics as I slowly go along.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Bruce, it looks like you're moving quickly on this! Way to go![:-thumbu]

I wish my benchwork (and carpentry in general) looked half as "professional" as yours. Very nice!

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Bruce, it looks like you're moving quickly on this! Way to go![:-thumbu]

I wish my benchwork (and carpentry in general) looked half as "professional" as yours. Very nice!

Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:14:03 AM  Show Profile
I second Mike's comments. The benchwork looks great. As for the corner bits, I believe masonite is the material of choice. or linoleum. or large sheet styrene.

I did mine with the foamcore but I didn't curve the corners. Next time I'll use something like the masonite stuff.

The pictures lood good and I'm looking forward to future updates.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:14:03 AM  Show Profile
I second Mike's comments. The benchwork looks great. As for the corner bits, I believe masonite is the material of choice. or linoleum. or large sheet styrene.

I did mine with the foamcore but I didn't curve the corners. Next time I'll use something like the masonite stuff.

The pictures lood good and I'm looking forward to future updates.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Very, very nice, Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. As to the coved corners, on a previous layout, I used a material called Upson Board, a sort of hardboard made of pressed paper, and is usually sold in full service building supply companies. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, is 1/8 inch thick, very flexible for corners, and takes paint nicely. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if it's available in your neck of the world, but there's probably something similar.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Very, very nice, Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. As to the coved corners, on a previous layout, I used a material called Upson Board, a sort of hardboard made of pressed paper, and is usually sold in full service building supply companies. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, is 1/8 inch thick, very flexible for corners, and takes paint nicely. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if it's available in your neck of the world, but there's probably something similar.
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Thanks Guys, for all the kind words...

This is the second round of benchwork for the EC&W - the first lot wasn't quite level so I ripped it out :)

The curvy bits in the corners are on a 12" diamater which is pretty small. I have some 3mm MDF but it won't go down that small and I can't seem to find any masonite or MDF smaller than 3mm. But I will look into lino and any equivilent we have for Upson board. Maybe a visit to an art supply store will yield some results.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Thanks Guys, for all the kind words...

This is the second round of benchwork for the EC&W - the first lot wasn't quite level so I ripped it out :)

The curvy bits in the corners are on a 12" diamater which is pretty small. I have some 3mm MDF but it won't go down that small and I can't seem to find any masonite or MDF smaller than 3mm. But I will look into lino and any equivilent we have for Upson board. Maybe a visit to an art supply store will yield some results.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
22793 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Very nice looking benchwork Bruce. Thanks for the pics and I'll be looking for more.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
22793 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Very nice looking benchwork Bruce. Thanks for the pics and I'll be looking for more.
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Howdy all, time for another update with more pics.

The first 3 show the overall view with all the joists installed all ready for sub roadbed. Before I go cutting wood, I am doing a complete mockup with old TV/fridge boxes. The angled joists in shot 2 are for Elk Creek and where the associated bridges corss over it.

The next pics are various pics of my lift out section. The locating mechanism was inspired by Dutchman's post and follows his construction closely. I just have to get some decent Sash fastners as the ones I bought don't do a good job:

The liftout itself. Hopefully this will be sceniced to match the rest :)

This is the lift out in place:

These are the "socket" and "plug" bits on the benchwork and liftout respectively:

And finally, the liftout in place showing the fit. Latches yet to be installed.

I still have to do the corners for the backdrop but now have a plan. The curve supports will be cut out of 1x10 pine and glued into the corners with liquid nails. Then either 3mm MDF or 4mm Luan Ply will be curved to fit and screwed and liquid nailed in place. The curved fillers will then be sanded to seamlessly fit against the rest of the backdrop. Pics of this hopefully later in the week.

Going to play with my cardboard sub roadbed tomorrow to get things right before cutting...

See ya
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Howdy all, time for another update with more pics.

The first 3 show the overall view with all the joists installed all ready for sub roadbed. Before I go cutting wood, I am doing a complete mockup with old TV/fridge boxes. The angled joists in shot 2 are for Elk Creek and where the associated bridges corss over it.

The next pics are various pics of my lift out section. The locating mechanism was inspired by Dutchman's post and follows his construction closely. I just have to get some decent Sash fastners as the ones I bought don't do a good job:

The liftout itself. Hopefully this will be sceniced to match the rest :)

This is the lift out in place:

These are the "socket" and "plug" bits on the benchwork and liftout respectively:

And finally, the liftout in place showing the fit. Latches yet to be installed.

I still have to do the corners for the backdrop but now have a plan. The curve supports will be cut out of 1x10 pine and glued into the corners with liquid nails. Then either 3mm MDF or 4mm Luan Ply will be curved to fit and screwed and liquid nailed in place. The curved fillers will then be sanded to seamlessly fit against the rest of the backdrop. Pics of this hopefully later in the week.

Going to play with my cardboard sub roadbed tomorrow to get things right before cutting...

See ya
Bruce

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000