Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The Fall of the RF&W, the rise of the EC&W....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Bloody hell, work seems to be getting in the way now. Started a job that has me starting at 1:30pm until late, sometimes 1:00am, six days a week. Only have Friday's now to really get anything done. Last Friday I purchased all the timber I needed and this Friday I intend on getting some more done. Will report back as I progress little by little.

Cheers
Bruce

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Bloody hell, work seems to be getting in the way now. Started a job that has me starting at 1:30pm until late, sometimes 1:00am, six days a week. Only have Friday's now to really get anything done. Last Friday I purchased all the timber I needed and this Friday I intend on getting some more done. Will report back as I progress little by little.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Update 7 March 2005

In between work and dealing with an infected finger, the benchwork is progressing nicely, albeit a little slowly. All the main "wall unit" uprights are complete and the support arms are almost done. I have purchased 3 8'x4' sheets of 6mm MDF for the backdrop and have had them cut into 6 2'x8' panels. These will add additonal structural strength to the "wall unit" uprights. In the next day or so the L-girder benchwork will be fixed on top of the support arms and locked in place. The subroadbed can then begin.

More updates later....

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Update 7 March 2005

In between work and dealing with an infected finger, the benchwork is progressing nicely, albeit a little slowly. All the main "wall unit" uprights are complete and the support arms are almost done. I have purchased 3 8'x4' sheets of 6mm MDF for the backdrop and have had them cut into 6 2'x8' panels. These will add additonal structural strength to the "wall unit" uprights. In the next day or so the L-girder benchwork will be fixed on top of the support arms and locked in place. The subroadbed can then begin.

More updates later....

Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Good to hear the latest update. Looking forward to more.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Good to hear the latest update. Looking forward to more.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  06:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
I am on a roll! All wall unit uprights are up, L-girder benchwork is now on top of the struts. Attaching the L-girders and starting the backdrop panelling is next which will commence tomorrow. Still no pics though sorry, my wife is bringing the work camera home so I can take a few shots.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  06:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
I am on a roll! All wall unit uprights are up, L-girder benchwork is now on top of the struts. Attaching the L-girders and starting the backdrop panelling is next which will commence tomorrow. Still no pics though sorry, my wife is bringing the work camera home so I can take a few shots.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  04:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
No I have not disappeared, just been beavering away at the benchwork. Not happy with my first attempts, I reconfigured things (as well as bought 2 new levels - decent ones this time!) and am almost complete with the very sub base of benchwork.

This time around, I have reconfigured the L-girders by building a 1x3 girder for the "rear" and a 1x2 girder for the "front". They are built into "modules" with each girders facing each other and connected by 1x2's. This unit is then attached directly to the wall units. Of the 4 needed, 3 are in place and are level in all aspects (love them new levels!!! :)). The next section is then attached to the next set of wall units plus bolted to the adjacent "module".

As I quit my job today, I'll have a few more hours available to spend on the layout.

Cheers

Edited by - racedirector on 03/21/2005 04:54:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  04:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
No I have not disappeared, just been beavering away at the benchwork. Not happy with my first attempts, I reconfigured things (as well as bought 2 new levels - decent ones this time!) and am almost complete with the very sub base of benchwork.

This time around, I have reconfigured the L-girders by building a 1x3 girder for the "rear" and a 1x2 girder for the "front". They are built into "modules" with each girders facing each other and connected by 1x2's. This unit is then attached directly to the wall units. Of the 4 needed, 3 are in place and are level in all aspects (love them new levels!!! :)). The next section is then attached to the next set of wall units plus bolted to the adjacent "module".

As I quit my job today, I'll have a few more hours available to spend on the layout.

Cheers

Edited by - racedirector on 03/21/2005 04:54:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like another story there with the job. Hope all is well for you. Progress sounds good and looking forward to more!

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like another story there with the job. Hope all is well for you. Progress sounds good and looking forward to more!

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  06:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Woohoo! Base benchwork is finished! Not before bloody time either :)

Now it is a choice between joists/sub-roadbed or backdrop panels. I am erring on the side of the joists and sub-roadbed because I am looking into halogen lighting solutions and need to find out more about the different beam spreads before I decide how high the backdrop should be. Oh, and the digital camera comes home tomorrow as well so I should have a few shots of the benchwork sooner than later.

For now I will take a 3 or 4 day break while I attend the 7th Annual Australian Narrow Gauge Convention in Albury, NSW over the Easter break. I hope to return with a ton of ideas and some pretty serious motivation.....

David - the job was a pretty basic one and the pay was "ok". The biggest problem was my so called Boss - zero people skills and I had just had enough. He had a go at me one too many times so I quit on the spot. I tell ya, that shut him up quick smart! :) We're Ok though, my wife works full time, mine was just a bit extra.

Cheers
Bruce

Edited by - racedirector on 03/23/2005 06:41:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  06:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Woohoo! Base benchwork is finished! Not before bloody time either :)

Now it is a choice between joists/sub-roadbed or backdrop panels. I am erring on the side of the joists and sub-roadbed because I am looking into halogen lighting solutions and need to find out more about the different beam spreads before I decide how high the backdrop should be. Oh, and the digital camera comes home tomorrow as well so I should have a few shots of the benchwork sooner than later.

For now I will take a 3 or 4 day break while I attend the 7th Annual Australian Narrow Gauge Convention in Albury, NSW over the Easter break. I hope to return with a ton of ideas and some pretty serious motivation.....

David - the job was a pretty basic one and the pay was "ok". The biggest problem was my so called Boss - zero people skills and I had just had enough. He had a go at me one too many times so I quit on the spot. I tell ya, that shut him up quick smart! :) We're Ok though, my wife works full time, mine was just a bit extra.

Cheers
Bruce

Edited by - racedirector on 03/23/2005 06:41:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  01:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Progress report 31/3/2005

Base benchwork is done waiting for joists. Backdrop panels installed. They are attached with Liquid Nails and the temporary screw holes have been filled. Just a bit of sanding to be done then the backdrop painting can begin (first layer that is).

Now a question. I am installing 2 coved corners. What do you guys use for the curvy bits - I was thinking cardboard?

Photos to come - they HAVE been taken, just gotta reduce the size for upload.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000