Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The Fall of the RF&W, the rise of the EC&W....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Not so long ago a thread was started to document the construction of my HO railroad, the Roaring Fork & Western. The RF&W was going to be a coal hauling road, located in the Appalachian region of W. Va. in the late 40's/early 50's. Today, the RF&W is no longer.

The RF&W was to be constructed in our lounge room after my lovely wife approved the "land" grab. Benchwork for the main yard and the first mainline section went up soon after and sub-roadbed followed. I even got to the stage of getting the roadbed down and a section of ME ties stained and layed.

But before I could lay any rail, we got the opportunity to get another lounge suite from a fellow modeller. The only catch was it woudldn't fit in what was left of the lounge room and a major decision was made to take down my recently erected benchwork. A date and time was set for the pickup of the lounge suite and I went about dismantling my work. Pickup day dawned and I set off to do the pick up but the car decided otherwise and promptly overheated about a third of the way there. So the pickup was cancelled and the following week arranged.

At this point I had dismantled half of the benchwork giving enough room to squeeze the furniture in, so I dismantled the rest over the following few days. Then some bad news. For some reason the lounge suite was given to someone else, as we were informed the night before the new pickup date. So now we had no new lounge suite and I had no railroad. My wife also decided that she liked the extra room back so I negotiated for one end of the room. The final space I got was a total of 6'x12'.

Frustrated that I couldn't resurrect all the benchwork, I decided to construct small key sections of the RF&W for future inclusion of the bigger layout. After visiting a friend who does this with On3 I had a good idea of what I wanted to do.

A week or so passed and I was getting annoyed with the big hole where the RF&W used to be. I had been offered a whole bunch of RR magazines for free as long as I picked them up. The only catch was they were 4 hours away. No problem, just make a family day of it and we drove to Canberra, picked up the mags and drove home (this time with no problems). Scanning through the mags, I came across the Elk Creek & Western - a 5'x10' layout specifically designed for On30. Hmmm I thought, I like that.

Off to the web to research On30. Onto email to hassle my friend in On3. Lots of thinking and consulting the land owner. Finally a decision was made to try On30 out. Everything seem to fit. I had the space, I had at least 3 HO locos I could convert to On30 and I could scratchbuild a few freight cars for my trial. My wife even liked the idea due to the bigger structure side of things - "It's got to be better than the other size you were going to do". On30 won the day!

So begins the era of the Elk Creek & Western. This RR will be my test bed for On30, my turnout construction techniques and a bunch of other things. If I like modelling in this scale, I am going to build the RF&W (when I have a garage to do so) in On30. Yup, I'll have to make it a little bigger but that story will continue at a later date.

For now the EC&W is a pile of timber & L-girders from the RF&W. Additional timber has been purchased and benchwork construction will start within days. All track and turnouts will be handlaid, ties will be stained/painted balsa cut from sheets.

Pics soon, as soon as something starts to actually rise from the ashes. Stay tuned! :)

Cheers

The track plan can be seen in my other thread on On30. You can find that
here
:)

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!

Edited by - racedirector on 02/04/2005 08:47:48 AM

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13309 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Bruce.
Very interesting story about the rise and fall of a railroad.
I have made this new thread a sticky and have unstickied(if there is such a word) the other thread and will let it fall off the page.
Good luck with the new project and I look forward to many new posts as you begin construction.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13309 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Bruce.
Very interesting story about the rise and fall of a railroad.
I have made this new thread a sticky and have unstickied(if there is such a word) the other thread and will let it fall off the page.
Good luck with the new project and I look forward to many new posts as you begin construction.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Thanks John,

much appreciated!

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  08:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Thanks John,

much appreciated!

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Ok, here's a question for you all. How do you go about transferring a printed trackplan to the real thing? If I was to get some big bits of paper, mark out 1' squares and then just take measurements of the little guy to transfer over, would I be in the ball park?

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Ok, here's a question for you all. How do you go about transferring a printed trackplan to the real thing? If I was to get some big bits of paper, mark out 1' squares and then just take measurements of the little guy to transfer over, would I be in the ball park?

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Jim T
Fireman

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  11:02:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by racedirector

Cheers

I would think that would work just fine. What kind of bench work are you going to use for the elevated roadbed?

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jim T
Fireman

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  11:02:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by racedirector

Cheers

I would think that would work just fine. What kind of bench work are you going to use for the elevated roadbed?

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12949 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  2:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Best of luck with your new layout Bruce, looking forward to following your progress.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12949 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  2:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Best of luck with your new layout Bruce, looking forward to following your progress.
Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
If you live near a printing plant esp one that does newspapers, they usually have leftover rolls with too little on them to bother using. They're often called "butt rolls" and most places will give you one if you ask nicely. If possible, ask for the heaviest weight paper they have.

Go to Top of Page

jerryglow
Engine Wiper

309 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryglow's Homepage
If you live near a printing plant esp one that does newspapers, they usually have leftover rolls with too little on them to bother using. They're often called "butt rolls" and most places will give you one if you ask nicely. If possible, ask for the heaviest weight paper they have.

Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm using a roll of brown kraft wrapping paper from Walmart. It's in the mailing/packaging aisle.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

davidray
Engine Wiper

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  5:20:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm using a roll of brown kraft wrapping paper from Walmart. It's in the mailing/packaging aisle.

David Ray
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage
Update for 11 Feb, 2005.

Benchwork is progressing quite well. The actual L-Girder framework is complete waiting for legs. I tried a number of leg assemblies but not being able to attach anything to the walls (rental property) was causing stability problems. Thumbing through some back issues of MRR, I came across the construction article for the Carbondale Central. In that article Malcolm Furlow presented what he called "wall units". After reading the article I decided to use a modified version of these "wall units". Instead of single 1x2 uprights as Malcolm had done, I went with 1x2 L-girders due to my slightly different implementation. Six L-girder uprights will hold the Elk Creek & Western off the floor at 40" to the top of the framework. 3 uprights have been constructed, more next week when I get some more wood. Sorry no camera available at this time but hopefully next week I will have pics to explain what I am doing a little better.

A quick explanation of the uprights for those that do not have access to the article. As I have said above, I created an L-girder 2.4m (8ft) long from 42x19mm lumber (approx 1"x2"). This is the height from floor to ceiling in our lounge room. Screwed on "top" of one end is a 3x4" block of 19x70mm pine (1"x3"). Attached to that is a pad of 6mm cork, 3"x4". This plate sits up against the ceiling. I then shortend the L-grider by 55mm (approx 2"). A hole was then drilled into the end of one 1x2 and a T-nut installed. Into this fits a 2" long, 1/4" carriage bolt. Now place another 1x3 block, 3"x4" on the floor with a small divit in it to accept the carriage bolt head. The L-girder is then held vertically with the cork topped pad on the ceiling and the carriage bolt is wound out until the whole unit is tight between the floor and the ceiling, after making sure it is vertical in both direction (side-to-side, front-to-back). This gives an incredibly strong mounting point for the layout.

This is the stage I am at. 3 more of these to make and install. The backdrop will go up next and then the brackets that will hold the layout up will be installed.
Anyway, hopefully pics to follow.

Cheers
Bruce

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000