Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rick
Administrator

USA
22285 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Bruce, thanks for the pictures. Looks like you had a fun day.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Climax1880
Fireman

USA
1696 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Many thanks for the pix Bruce. I would like to visit RPI and see that layout seeing as how I was raised in that part of the country. John Nerich is one of my favorite authors too. I've read everything that he has written and used a lot of his suggestions. Again, many thanks

Go to Top of Page

Climax1880
Fireman

USA
1696 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Many thanks for the pix Bruce. I would like to visit RPI and see that layout seeing as how I was raised in that part of the country. John Nerich is one of my favorite authors too. I've read everything that he has written and used a lot of his suggestions. Again, many thanks

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Here are the next five pictues from the NEB&W.

There is a lot of "work in progress" on the layout. Here you see a building that is being re-located.

There are a number of elevated roads that cross the tracks, but just run from the edge of the layout to the backdrop. They do a good job of hiding the end of the road at the backdrop with curves and trees.

I think that this is the longest structure on the layout. This station is somewhere between 2' and 3' long! (Wouldn't this be a nice subject for the current Challenge Project!)

This is one of several enging servicing facilities on the layout.

This creamery was the focus of an article in the modeling magazines (as was the Stateline Tunnel).

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Here are the next five pictues from the NEB&W.

There is a lot of "work in progress" on the layout. Here you see a building that is being re-located.

There are a number of elevated roads that cross the tracks, but just run from the edge of the layout to the backdrop. They do a good job of hiding the end of the road at the backdrop with curves and trees.

I think that this is the longest structure on the layout. This station is somewhere between 2' and 3' long! (Wouldn't this be a nice subject for the current Challenge Project!)

This is one of several enging servicing facilities on the layout.

This creamery was the focus of an article in the modeling magazines (as was the Stateline Tunnel).

Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Bruce,

Thanks for posting the pictures. My favorite is the small freight building in your second post. It looks as if you had an enjoyable trip.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Bruce,

Thanks for posting the pictures. My favorite is the small freight building in your second post. It looks as if you had an enjoyable trip.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  7:41:04 PM  Show Profile
One last small town shot before traveling on to Troy.

Every railroad that transported livestock needed rail side pens to allow them out to eat and rest. Also, small covered sheds for farmers to deliver milk to the railroad would exist near small towns.

Troy is the largest city on the layout. The members have gone out of their way to model actual stores, houses, and other structures from pictures of the era. I have been to the layout twice. Both times I heard people exclaim "Oh, look, there is the old --- place!" when they recognized a structure from their youth.

Almost all of the brick structures are styrene covered with Holgate & Reynolds brick sheeting.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  7:41:04 PM  Show Profile
One last small town shot before traveling on to Troy.

Every railroad that transported livestock needed rail side pens to allow them out to eat and rest. Also, small covered sheds for farmers to deliver milk to the railroad would exist near small towns.

Troy is the largest city on the layout. The members have gone out of their way to model actual stores, houses, and other structures from pictures of the era. I have been to the layout twice. Both times I heard people exclaim "Oh, look, there is the old --- place!" when they recognized a structure from their youth.

Almost all of the brick structures are styrene covered with Holgate & Reynolds brick sheeting.

Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7259 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  12:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Bruce,

Thanks for posting the pictures of RPI's Club Layout. I know that it has been a little quiet on our Club forum and I have a stack of files and multiple ideas ready to go. My major problem is finding time to write and post. So, I greatly appreciate your information and posting here. I really enjoyed the setting, color, and lighting of the twin tunnel picture. Thanks,

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Well, my wife and I drove up to Troy, NY today to attend an open house at the RPI Club. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7259 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  12:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Bruce,

Thanks for posting the pictures of RPI's Club Layout. I know that it has been a little quiet on our Club forum and I have a stack of files and multiple ideas ready to go. My major problem is finding time to write and post. So, I greatly appreciate your information and posting here. I really enjoyed the setting, color, and lighting of the twin tunnel picture. Thanks,

Allen
Modelling the East in the West!

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Well, my wife and I drove up to Troy, NY today to attend an open house at the RPI Club. . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6479 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce,

The last couple pictures look like some of the structure walls were decorated using Nehrich's technique of creating a decal for the entire wall, not just the signs.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6479 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Bruce,

The last couple pictures look like some of the structure walls were decorated using Nehrich's technique of creating a decal for the entire wall, not just the signs.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  7:40:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Bruce,

Chuck

Chuck,
I think that this picture shows an example of that. Unfortunately, I had to take the picture through the plexiglas shield and there is some glare.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30824 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  7:40:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Bruce,

Chuck

Chuck,
I think that this picture shows an example of that. Unfortunately, I had to take the picture through the plexiglas shield and there is some glare.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000