Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile
The A.M.R.E. is a division of the Texas Transportation Museum in San Antonio, Texas. It operates both a garden railroad layout and an HO layout in the main museum building. The HO layout is along a 100' wall, and is generally 3' wide, except enlarging for a dogbone shape (with yards) at each end. Much of the layout still does not have scenery, but the members are surely working away at it. Formal meetings are on Friday nights, but someone is always there operating the layout when the museum is open on weekends.

When I get a chance, I will post a few pictures from the HO layout.

In the meantime, here is a link to the museum, and a picture of their garden layout.

http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/LOCOS.htm

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Judging from a coversation with a crew member present at the layout, I would say the the structure that they are most proud of at the momement is this viaduct. However, they are working a a few wooden trestles that will compete for attention in a few months.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Judging from a coversation with a crew member present at the layout, I would say the the structure that they are most proud of at the momement is this viaduct. However, they are working a a few wooden trestles that will compete for attention in a few months.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile
It looked to me like the three or four members who were operating the layout when we visited were running their own engines. Here are two that I captured on film.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile
It looked to me like the three or four members who were operating the layout when we visited were running their own engines. Here are two that I captured on film.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  6:37:03 PM  Show Profile
From talking to one of the members, it was clear that the club had recently decided to enlarge their layout. This resulted in the removal of some scenery. Right now, they are working on tunnel portals. They do have some scenery done and some small mini-scenes among the unfinished portions of the layout.

Here are a few more pictures.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  6:37:03 PM  Show Profile
From talking to one of the members, it was clear that the club had recently decided to enlarge their layout. This resulted in the removal of some scenery. Right now, they are working on tunnel portals. They do have some scenery done and some small mini-scenes among the unfinished portions of the layout.

Here are a few more pictures.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  7:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce for the photo's. I get to San Antonio about once a year. I've completely missed the Transportation Museum. I'll put it down for my next visit.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  7:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bruce for the photo's. I get to San Antonio about once a year. I've completely missed the Transportation Museum. I'll put it down for my next visit.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  7:17:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Jim

Jim,
It is right next to the airport. However, they are only open several days a week. I think that the info is on their website. They are almost done refurbishing their fourth 1:1 loco--a Baldwin tank switcher. I believe they will be using it from time-to-time. You can spend an entertaining hour or so there.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25357 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  7:17:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ANo10

Jim

Jim,
It is right next to the airport. However, they are only open several days a week. I think that the info is on their website. They are almost done refurbishing their fourth 1:1 loco--a Baldwin tank switcher. I believe they will be using it from time-to-time. You can spend an entertaining hour or so there.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11066 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Looking good, wish I lived in an area where there was a active club of some type.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11066 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Looking good, wish I lived in an area where there was a active club of some type.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:45:40 PM  Show Profile

Thanks Bruce,

I will visit them the next time I am in San Antonio.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:45:40 PM  Show Profile

Thanks Bruce,

I will visit them the next time I am in San Antonio.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  12:15:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank's Bruce,

I'm pretty sure I can locate it. I'll check it out my next trip down. On another thread you posted a loco of W.T Carter's at the Transportation Museum.. A couple of years ago I was in Polk County (East Texas) for a couple of months and visited the sites of his old sawmills. He had an interesting operation. Since the terrain is swampy and mostly flat, he harvested the trees in a circuit. By the time he was back to his original starting place, he had new trees. Also he is a great benefactor to RR museums. Almost all of his steam engines went to museums or universities.

Jim

Edited by - ANo10 on 02/17/2004 12:20:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000