Question for power Engineer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AllenGaspers
Engine Wiper

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  11:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllenGaspers's Homepage
On another forum, there was a discussion on using the electricity generated from the dynamic brakes. My question for you is, do you think the technology will ever be to actually store electricity. I don[t mean like a storage battery, were its the electricity is generated by chemical reaction. But the actually storage of electrons in massive enough of quantities to power a locomotive for couple of hundred miles.

PowerEngineer
Engine Wiper

186 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  4:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Allen,

You are getting a little bit beyond my area of expertise, but I know they have been doing alot of research on this area for the past 15 years to try and make the electric car feasible. So far, they haven't been able come up with too much beyond trying to improve the battery. I know there has been research in using superconducting magnets and they have also looked at using an electric motor to convert electricity storage into mechanical storage using such methods as springs, compressed air and even flywheels. Exactly how they plan to make all of that cost effective and feasible, I have no clue.

PowerEngineer

Go to Top of Page

PowerEngineer
Engine Wiper

186 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  4:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Allen,

You are getting a little bit beyond my area of expertise, but I know they have been doing alot of research on this area for the past 15 years to try and make the electric car feasible. So far, they haven't been able come up with too much beyond trying to improve the battery. I know there has been research in using superconducting magnets and they have also looked at using an electric motor to convert electricity storage into mechanical storage using such methods as springs, compressed air and even flywheels. Exactly how they plan to make all of that cost effective and feasible, I have no clue.

PowerEngineer

Go to Top of Page

AllenGaspers
Engine Wiper

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  10:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllenGaspers's Homepage
Thanks for your reply, I figured you were as good a place to start as anybody.
Go to Top of Page

AllenGaspers
Engine Wiper

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  10:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllenGaspers's Homepage
Thanks for your reply, I figured you were as good a place to start as anybody.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000