The Diesel Shop
 Using Combustion Turbines for Prime Movers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PowerEngineer
Engine Wiper

186 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  10:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I work in the electric utility industry, and there has been much activity in the last 10 to 20 years in improving combustion turbines for peak electricity generation. Many combustion turbines today can be fueled with either #2 fuel oil (which I believe is the same as diesel fuel) or natural gas, thus providing some fuel flexibility. I know some locomotives in the past utilized combustion turbines, but I don't think they ever caught on in the railroad industry. They are likely more expensive than a reciprocating diesel engine, but I believe they are quite a bit more fuel efficient as well. Do any of you guys think we might see this technology used in the future in significnat amounts for locomotive prime movers?

PowerEngineer

TrainWorm
Engine Wiper

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  6:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainWorm's Homepage  Send TrainWorm a Yahoo! Message
Apparently, it is trying to make a comeback. Bombardier is building a turbine powered passenger locomotive to bring high speed rail to places without catenary.

here is an old press release about the project. the locomotive is now built and has finished testing.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/1998/fra2298.htm

maybe it'll catch on again. i sure would have loved to see/feel/hear one of UP's giant turbines in operation
Go to Top of Page

TrainWorm
Engine Wiper

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  6:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainWorm's Homepage  Send TrainWorm a Yahoo! Message
Apparently, it is trying to make a comeback. Bombardier is building a turbine powered passenger locomotive to bring high speed rail to places without catenary.

here is an old press release about the project. the locomotive is now built and has finished testing.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/1998/fra2298.htm

maybe it'll catch on again. i sure would have loved to see/feel/hear one of UP's giant turbines in operation
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000