Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 116

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got back to it last night after my little hiatus. I got the bearing piles attached to the dock. I didn't need many because of the stone wall, and I went ahead with the 3/16" piles like I originally planned.

After I finished the dock, I masked off the retaining walls and spray painted the diorama base (water) with flat black. That was it for the evening because I had to let the paint dry. When I get back to it next Monday evening, I'll feather in the "shallows" along the shoreline with umbers and siennas. I also hope to get the Sculptamold done then.

Well, it's back to the Lake this morning. We've got a lot of bedding plants and some new shrubs to get in the ground this weekend. [:-eyebrows] Have a good weekend, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got back to it last night after my little hiatus. I got the bearing piles attached to the dock. I didn't need many because of the stone wall, and I went ahead with the 3/16" piles like I originally planned.

After I finished the dock, I masked off the retaining walls and spray painted the diorama base (water) with flat black. That was it for the evening because I had to let the paint dry. When I get back to it next Monday evening, I'll feather in the "shallows" along the shoreline with umbers and siennas. I also hope to get the Sculptamold done then.

Well, it's back to the Lake this morning. We've got a lot of bedding plants and some new shrubs to get in the ground this weekend. [:-eyebrows] Have a good weekend, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Fini!!! And coming in last...

Put the finishing touches on the Launch Company this morning. Shingles are Brett's recommended Depot Olive with india ink/alcohol wash and Mike's suggestion of highlighting with yellow ochre chalk (Thanks for that tip). Had a hard time on the right color for the doors.

I switched the tarpaper roof to the slope of the shed.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Fini!!! And coming in last...

Put the finishing touches on the Launch Company this morning. Shingles are Brett's recommended Depot Olive with india ink/alcohol wash and Mike's suggestion of highlighting with yellow ochre chalk (Thanks for that tip). Had a hard time on the right color for the doors.

I switched the tarpaper roof to the slope of the shed.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
Your roof looks really good.[:-thumbu]
I wish I had your patience to do the roof with real wood.
Again another outstanding structure.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Jim

Ditto for me, Jim! Another excellent job of model building in every respect. [:-thumbu]

I love the color of your roof. Now I kind of wish I had gone that route.... oh well...
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi Jim

Ditto for me, Jim! Another excellent job of model building in every respect. [:-thumbu]

I love the color of your roof. Now I kind of wish I had gone that route.... oh well...
Go to Top of Page

NickO
Fireman

United Kingdom
1750 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:04:05 PM  Show Profile

Hi Mike,
You say you use your iron to unwarp sidings with the steam turned off.Have you tried it with the steam turned on? I ask this as steam is used to bend wood,so would it not help to unbend it by softening the fibres and once weighted will remain in place once dried.Just a thought,tell me if I am talking rubbish.

Nick O
Go to Top of Page

NickO
Fireman

United Kingdom
1750 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:04:05 PM  Show Profile

Hi Mike,
You say you use your iron to unwarp sidings with the steam turned off.Have you tried it with the steam turned on? I ask this as steam is used to bend wood,so would it not help to unbend it by softening the fibres and once weighted will remain in place once dried.Just a thought,tell me if I am talking rubbish.

Nick O
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Hi Mike,

Nick O

Nick, I have absolutely no idea what would happen. I'll have to experiment with the idea sometime. What you propose sounds reasonable, however. I do know that a dry iron worked wonders for me in the past. It was especially effective on the two lower (short) SW Machine Shop roofs. They each had a definite curl to them until I gave them the "hot" iron treatment.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:15:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

Hi Mike,

Nick O

Nick, I have absolutely no idea what would happen. I'll have to experiment with the idea sometime. What you propose sounds reasonable, however. I do know that a dry iron worked wonders for me in the past. It was especially effective on the two lower (short) SW Machine Shop roofs. They each had a definite curl to them until I gave them the "hot" iron treatment.
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  8:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Jim, Your roof looks great.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu] I don't think I could have done it in real wood. I probably would be missing a finger or two[:-shake]

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  8:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Jim, Your roof looks great.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu] I don't think I could have done it in real wood. I probably would be missing a finger or two[:-shake]

Harry
Go to Top of Page

ANo10
Fireman

USA
2773 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Guys,

Harry, I understand what you're saying. Number one, blood is not a good wood stain, and two, super glue helps to repair nicks and cuts from the chopper.

Tomorrow, will begin on the dock. "STELLA..."

Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 116 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000