Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 116

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  09:31:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jim
I agree the instructions are a little confusing.
From looking at the picture and from my general knowledge of wharfs what I did was indent the lower trim so that it sets back to the inside edge of the first trim that was placed on the model. I know my explanation is confusing.
I used the photo on page 25 as a guide to see how to the lower trim looked.
The pieces of lower trim fit very well and I then glued in the braces between the lower trim.
Hope this helps.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I also did the exact same thing on mine, the lower piece is indented slightly from the upper. I actually made it flush with the original dock piece and then glued the first piece on, in other words I did mine in reverse, I glued on the lower piece first. It gave the dock a very nice shadow line.

I am also ready for the "launch company" and will start it tomorrow evening.

Thank everyone for their kind words, I have really enjoyed this project and working with everyone on-line.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
I also did the exact same thing on mine, the lower piece is indented slightly from the upper. I actually made it flush with the original dock piece and then glued the first piece on, in other words I did mine in reverse, I glued on the lower piece first. It gave the dock a very nice shadow line.

Thank everyone for their kind words, I have really enjoyed this project and working with everyone on-line.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry I think your idea of doing it in reverse is right on the mark. It is one of those "Why did I not think of that"
Also Harry I sent you a PM which should be in your PM Inbox. Not sure if you saw it but I wanted some info on the Digital Camera you purchased.
Thanks

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  5:45:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

Harry I think your idea of doing it in reverse is right on the mark. It is one of those "Why did I not think of that"
Also Harry I sent you a PM which should be in your PM Inbox. Not sure if you saw it but I wanted some info on the Digital Camera you purchased.
Thanks

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile
John, According to my PM box I don't have any private messages. I do really like my camera, it is a Kodak DX4330 3.1 megapix with 128 meg memery card and docking station. I'm not a photographer like Mike or Shamus, but it works great for me.

I have found them for $269.00 at pricewatch.com and the docking station for $69.00. With two memery cards and a tripod I think I have spent a total of $400.00.
What I really like about the docking station is you just put the camera on it and push a button and your photo's are sent to your computer. Also the docking station automaticly charges the batteries.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 03/18/2003 08:34:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile
John, According to my PM box I don't have any private messages. I do really like my camera, it is a Kodak DX4330 3.1 megapix with 128 meg memery card and docking station. I'm not a photographer like Mike or Shamus, but it works great for me.

I have found them for $269.00 at pricewatch.com and the docking station for $69.00. With two memery cards and a tripod I think I have spent a total of $400.00.
What I really like about the docking station is you just put the camera on it and push a button and your photo's are sent to your computer. Also the docking station automaticly charges the batteries.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 03/18/2003 08:34:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  06:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Well I checked my PM outbox and the message I typed and thought I sent is not there.[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-censored]
However you answered the questions that I was interested in.[:-thumbu]
Thanks.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  06:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Harry
Well I checked my PM outbox and the message I typed and thought I sent is not there.[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-censored]
However you answered the questions that I was interested in.[:-thumbu]
Thanks.

John Bagley
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm back to work on Foss' as advertised.

I got the roofs attached last night, so now it looks like a real structure. [:-thumbu]

I also mounted the smoke stack, but I did something different (again!) from what was called for in the instructions. First, I painted the stack with Humbrol Metal Cote "Gunmetal." After it dried, I buffed the whole stack with a soft cloth to get a nice metalic sheen. Next, I painted it with plain alcohol and then drizzled three rust colors of chalk powder over it. After that dried, I took a stiff bristled brush and brushed most of the chalk powder back off. The end result was a metal stack just starting to show rust and soot. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

The next thing was to mount the stack. The smoke stack coming out of the broken, boarded-over window is a great detail. But I kept wondering why the little people who occupy the building would block a window with a wood or coal burning stove. So I decided to relocate the stack. I mounted it on the outside wall about 6 or 7 scale feet from the window.

That's as far as I got with it last night. I still have to put the "tar" around the base of the stack and add the support wires. Then it's on to the chimney.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm back to work on Foss' as advertised.

I got the roofs attached last night, so now it looks like a real structure. [:-thumbu]

I also mounted the smoke stack, but I did something different (again!) from what was called for in the instructions. First, I painted the stack with Humbrol Metal Cote "Gunmetal." After it dried, I buffed the whole stack with a soft cloth to get a nice metalic sheen. Next, I painted it with plain alcohol and then drizzled three rust colors of chalk powder over it. After that dried, I took a stiff bristled brush and brushed most of the chalk powder back off. The end result was a metal stack just starting to show rust and soot. Overall, I was pleased with the results.

The next thing was to mount the stack. The smoke stack coming out of the broken, boarded-over window is a great detail. But I kept wondering why the little people who occupy the building would block a window with a wood or coal burning stove. So I decided to relocate the stack. I mounted it on the outside wall about 6 or 7 scale feet from the window.

That's as far as I got with it last night. I still have to put the "tar" around the base of the stack and add the support wires. Then it's on to the chimney.
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I also have not followed Brett's instructions exactly with painting almost everything with Foss' Landing, but I have used many of his ideas and suggestions, just not the same colors.

I was looking on the Walthers website today has anyone seen the new JL inovative Design Nautical detail items? http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-457 and http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-456 Depending on your time frame these could be useful.

I plan on starting the launch company this evening.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I also have not followed Brett's instructions exactly with painting almost everything with Foss' Landing, but I have used many of his ideas and suggestions, just not the same colors.

I was looking on the Walthers website today has anyone seen the new JL inovative Design Nautical detail items? http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-457 and http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/361-456 Depending on your time frame these could be useful.

I plan on starting the launch company this evening.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Those are neat detail parts, Harry. I hadn't seen them before.

I'd have to really stretch my time frame waaaayyyyyy out to use them, though. Oh well....
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Those are neat detail parts, Harry. I hadn't seen them before.

I'd have to really stretch my time frame waaaayyyyyy out to use them, though. Oh well....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 116 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000