Page: of 116

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile
I also completed the roofs today. They look great and as John said:

quote:
I will say these were the easiest roofs I have ever done and they look quite realistic.
I used Bretts method for painting the roofs.

They were very easy and look very realistic. I will be ready to glue them on tonight.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get anything done on Foss' last night. Rusty and I have been talking for a few weeks about casting car frames from scratchbuilt "masters." So I spent last evening working on a 26 foot (actually 25.75') flat car frame. After I finish it, I'll mail it to Rusty and he will make the mold and try casting it in white metal. If I can find some NBW's in one of my junk drawers, I'll probably finish it up this afternoon and then get back to Foss' Landing.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get anything done on Foss' last night. Rusty and I have been talking for a few weeks about casting car frames from scratchbuilt "masters." So I spent last evening working on a 26 foot (actually 25.75') flat car frame. After I finish it, I'll mail it to Rusty and he will make the mold and try casting it in white metal. If I can find some NBW's in one of my junk drawers, I'll probably finish it up this afternoon and then get back to Foss' Landing.
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Is Rusty going to sell them? I would be interested in a few.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile

Harry
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I might be interested in a few.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I might be interested in a few.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I think that may ultimately be the plan, but I'm not positive. He just bought a centrifuge to start spin casting resin and white metal parts. I think his most immediate plan is to practice with a variety of molds until he's got everything down pat.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangem Harry

Harry

I think that may ultimately be the plan, but I'm not positive. He just bought a centrifuge to start spin casting resin and white metal parts. I think his most immediate plan is to practice with a variety of molds until he's got everything down pat.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7989 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, Paul, Mike has it right. I want to test this all out before I go to far. Like my construction of my layout I am "doing spin casting my way!"

A commercial spin casting machine is from 1,100 to 20,000 $$$, way too much for me. So I bought a medical centrifuge that I will conver for this purpose ($150) a lot cheaper. Also, I won't be using the vulcanizing molds normally used but RTV molds, again cost of materials and machinery to vulcanize the rubber.

I've got to get this all working properly before I can try and market anything. Kind of like the stumps as I feel I've finally worked the kinks out of that process.

One thing I will be able to do, if it works, is cast the same mold in either resin or white metal which should prove interesting.

Just be glad I didn't take up rocket science as a hobby![:-bigeyes][:-bigeyes]

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7989 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  12:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Harry, Paul, Mike has it right. I want to test this all out before I go to far. Like my construction of my layout I am "doing spin casting my way!"

A commercial spin casting machine is from 1,100 to 20,000 $$$, way too much for me. So I bought a medical centrifuge that I will conver for this purpose ($150) a lot cheaper. Also, I won't be using the vulcanizing molds normally used but RTV molds, again cost of materials and machinery to vulcanize the rubber.

I've got to get this all working properly before I can try and market anything. Kind of like the stumps as I feel I've finally worked the kinks out of that process.

One thing I will be able to do, if it works, is cast the same mold in either resin or white metal which should prove interesting.

Just be glad I didn't take up rocket science as a hobby![:-bigeyes][:-bigeyes]

Walt

In the Crossroads of America.
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, last evening I painted the two chimneys and glued the roof on. This morning I just installed the chimneys and the wire "braces" I have to say it is a nice looking model. Next I will have to get back to rebuilding the diorama for it.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

USA
793 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, last evening I painted the two chimneys and glued the roof on. This morning I just installed the chimneys and the wire "braces" I have to say it is a nice looking model. Next I will have to get back to rebuilding the diorama for it.

Harry
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
well I started on the wharf that goes under the Clam & Oyster Co. I still have to finish the small things on the structure, Chimney and guide braces etc.
Harry a while back you said you were doing an order from Model Tech Studios. Did you get the castings and were they OK. I need some nautical ones for my Hamilton Dinghies from Campbell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all
well I started on the wharf that goes under the Clam & Oyster Co. I still have to finish the small things on the structure, Chimney and guide braces etc.
Harry a while back you said you were doing an order from Model Tech Studios. Did you get the castings and were they OK. I need some nautical ones for my Hamilton Dinghies from Campbell.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 116 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000