Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13309 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  8:35:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi
Welcome to all the new members who have joined in the past few days.
I am relisting the questions that are being answered here for those that are new.
This will save you from wondering what are these people talking about.
For anyone else who reads this post if you would like to introduce yourself here is your chance.
Again thanks to all who have posted.
Here are the original questions.
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in
2) How long modeling and how we got started
3) What lines we model
4) years we model
5) how large is your layout and what scale do you model.
6) if we use DC, DCC or other
7) anything else you want to add
8) post your picture if you dare

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 07/29/2003 4:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jaws
New Hire

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  8:37:40 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: Meridian, ID–just west of Boise

2) How long modeling and how we got started: Lived near Espee tracks in Palmdale, CA in 1930's; lived to be riding the steam locos (4-8-8-2s, 2-8-0s and all the other helpers stationed there from time to time). Some of the engineers actually let me operate the throttle and turn locos on the wye. Even though we couldn’t really afford it during the depression, my Dad bought me a me a small set. I’ve been at it ever since.

3) What lines we model: There ain’t but one road–the Espee!

4) years we model: 1940s and 50s

5) how large our layout is: 10' x 11'

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: Lenz DCC

7) anything else you want to add: New member of this forum today (6-29-03). Looking for help finding locos of the 40-50 era specifically SD-7 or GP-7 with Black Widow scheme.
Go to Top of Page

jaws
New Hire

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  8:37:40 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: Meridian, ID–just west of Boise

2) How long modeling and how we got started: Lived near Espee tracks in Palmdale, CA in 1930's; lived to be riding the steam locos (4-8-8-2s, 2-8-0s and all the other helpers stationed there from time to time). Some of the engineers actually let me operate the throttle and turn locos on the wye. Even though we couldn’t really afford it during the depression, my Dad bought me a me a small set. I’ve been at it ever since.

3) What lines we model: There ain’t but one road–the Espee!

4) years we model: 1940s and 50s

5) how large our layout is: 10' x 11'

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: Lenz DCC

7) anything else you want to add: New member of this forum today (6-29-03). Looking for help finding locos of the 40-50 era specifically SD-7 or GP-7 with Black Widow scheme.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  11:38:38 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City I live in: I live in West Milford, about 30 miles NW of New York City.

2) How long modeling and how we got started: I had a Lionel layout when I was in elementary school, and an HO layout in high school. I built another Lionel layout for my 3 sons in the 1970's. It wasn't until I took my grandson to see Northlandz (http://www.northlandz.com an HO display layout in Flemington, NJ) that I got back into the hobby about 3 years ago.

3) What lines we model: I model the NYS&W and the lines interchanging with it. (CNJ, L&NE, L&HR, DL&W)

4) years modeled: I can cover the period from the late 1930's through the late 1950's.

5) how large our layout is: My layout is in the unfinished portion of my basement. The room measures about 13' by 26'. The layout, when finished, will be a "U" shape, with a central peninsula with loop to allow for continuous running (I have grandkids to keep happy!) Eventually, about 2/3rds will be double decked.

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: I run DC with blocks.

7) I enjoy building structures -- kits, kitbashing, and scratchbuilding.

Edited by - Dutchman on 08/14/2003 10:36:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31248 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  11:38:38 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City I live in: I live in West Milford, about 30 miles NW of New York City.

2) How long modeling and how we got started: I had a Lionel layout when I was in elementary school, and an HO layout in high school. I built another Lionel layout for my 3 sons in the 1970's. It wasn't until I took my grandson to see Northlandz (http://www.northlandz.com an HO display layout in Flemington, NJ) that I got back into the hobby about 3 years ago.

3) What lines we model: I model the NYS&W and the lines interchanging with it. (CNJ, L&NE, L&HR, DL&W)

4) years modeled: I can cover the period from the late 1930's through the late 1950's.

5) how large our layout is: My layout is in the unfinished portion of my basement. The room measures about 13' by 26'. The layout, when finished, will be a "U" shape, with a central peninsula with loop to allow for continuous running (I have grandkids to keep happy!) Eventually, about 2/3rds will be double decked.

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: I run DC with blocks.

7) I enjoy building structures -- kits, kitbashing, and scratchbuilding.

Edited by - Dutchman on 08/14/2003 10:36:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

CNWfan
New Hire

13 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  2:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CNWfan's Homepage
I live in the Chicago burbs.

Been modeling (this time) for about a year, got (re)-started this time when the spare bedroom became spare again.

I model the Chicago & North Western mainly. Some UP[:-censored] and BN also.

As for era, hard to say modern when C&NW is, well, gone[:-angel]. Let's just say a time warp where C&NW still runs. [:-banghead]

My layout is an "L" shaped, 92in x 40in on one leg, 28in x 74in on the other.

I am using a Digitrax Zephyr DCC.
Go to Top of Page

CNWfan
New Hire

13 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  2:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CNWfan's Homepage
I live in the Chicago burbs.

Been modeling (this time) for about a year, got (re)-started this time when the spare bedroom became spare again.

I model the Chicago & North Western mainly. Some UP[:-censored] and BN also.

As for era, hard to say modern when C&NW is, well, gone[:-angel]. Let's just say a time warp where C&NW still runs. [:-banghead]

My layout is an "L" shaped, 92in x 40in on one leg, 28in x 74in on the other.

I am using a Digitrax Zephyr DCC.
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7259 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile
1. We live in Jennings Lodge (about 2 miles North of Oregon City) Oregon.
2. I've been modeling railroads on and off for about 60 years. My family has a rich heritage in railroads. My grandfather was a crossing tower operator for MOPAC and Santa Fe in Lamar, Missouri, and my father occasionally ran one of the US Navy engines from Mare Island Naval Shipyard to an SP siding in Northern Vallejo (California) to transfer cars.
3. The Norfolk & Western and the Virginian capture a lot of my interest although I have a little bit of everything. I enjoy second generation diesels mostly but also enjoy the steam-diesel transition period.
4. & 5. I have two layouts. One of them circumvents the inside of our daylight basement walls (thru 6 rooms) and it is controlled from a center linen closet. Since it is difficult to follow trains from room to room, a closed-circuit TV camera has been set up on one of the sidings in one of the rooms to monitor traffic. Each room has a significant name; there's Allendale, Utilityville, Bathington, Charlestown, Video City, and Phillipsburg. The perimeter is 44'X 26' and has one main with two sidings and a small yard. My other layout is in the process of being built. It is the Atlas, Granite Gorge & Northern, and it finds its home in Allendale on a ping-pong table. Sometime in the future, I hope to connect the two together.
6. The larger layout employs a single DC cab and the GG&N will be set up using DCC.
7. One of my favorite roads that I run is the U&SP in tribute to the BNSF. I have blended the UP and SP schemes and themes.
8. Here we are, . .Allen, Beth, and four of our grandchildren from left to right, Ary, Zacky, Jami, and Emma.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Edited by - anbhurst on 02/28/2004 2:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7259 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile
1. We live in Jennings Lodge (about 2 miles North of Oregon City) Oregon.
2. I've been modeling railroads on and off for about 60 years. My family has a rich heritage in railroads. My grandfather was a crossing tower operator for MOPAC and Santa Fe in Lamar, Missouri, and my father occasionally ran one of the US Navy engines from Mare Island Naval Shipyard to an SP siding in Northern Vallejo (California) to transfer cars.
3. The Norfolk & Western and the Virginian capture a lot of my interest although I have a little bit of everything. I enjoy second generation diesels mostly but also enjoy the steam-diesel transition period.
4. & 5. I have two layouts. One of them circumvents the inside of our daylight basement walls (thru 6 rooms) and it is controlled from a center linen closet. Since it is difficult to follow trains from room to room, a closed-circuit TV camera has been set up on one of the sidings in one of the rooms to monitor traffic. Each room has a significant name; there's Allendale, Utilityville, Bathington, Charlestown, Video City, and Phillipsburg. The perimeter is 44'X 26' and has one main with two sidings and a small yard. My other layout is in the process of being built. It is the Atlas, Granite Gorge & Northern, and it finds its home in Allendale on a ping-pong table. Sometime in the future, I hope to connect the two together.
6. The larger layout employs a single DC cab and the GG&N will be set up using DCC.
7. One of my favorite roads that I run is the U&SP in tribute to the BNSF. I have blended the UP and SP schemes and themes.
8. Here we are, . .Allen, Beth, and four of our grandchildren from left to right, Ary, Zacky, Jami, and Emma.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Edited by - anbhurst on 02/28/2004 2:56:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave Plummer
New Hire

6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  11:24:51 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in - Houston (Pearland), TX
2) How long modeling and how we got started - Three years, two years very heavily. I have always loved trains, but was never able to get involved until I got to Houston.
3) What lines we model - I major in Union Pacific, minor in Norfolk Southern and BNSF coal.
4) years we model - 2000+
5) how large our layout is - The Houston Society of Model Engineers layout is roughly 50' x 40'.
6) if we use DC, DCC or other - Digitrax.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Plummer
New Hire

6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  11:24:51 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in - Houston (Pearland), TX
2) How long modeling and how we got started - Three years, two years very heavily. I have always loved trains, but was never able to get involved until I got to Houston.
3) What lines we model - I major in Union Pacific, minor in Norfolk Southern and BNSF coal.
4) years we model - 2000+
5) how large our layout is - The Houston Society of Model Engineers layout is roughly 50' x 40'.
6) if we use DC, DCC or other - Digitrax.

Go to Top of Page

schaffera
New Hire

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  7:08:29 PM  Show Profile
font=Impact][/font=Impact]
Hi August here
1 What country? Calgary Canada
2 How long modeling?
About 25 years armchair for quite a few of those years joined club and got some experience.Finally have my own space.I had a marx train set when I was a kid.Found a model railroader mag when 17 and have been hooked ever since.
3 What lines I model? Well CP,CN,Bcr can't make up my mind.
4 What yaers I model? 1970's to present
5 How large a space? about 11x11ft
6 Dc or Dcc or other? Planning on using Dcc eventually.
7 Think will probably Proto freelance

Please remember I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
(Red Green)
Go to Top of Page

schaffera
New Hire

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  7:08:29 PM  Show Profile
font=Impact][/font=Impact]
Hi August here
1 What country? Calgary Canada
2 How long modeling?
About 25 years armchair for quite a few of those years joined club and got some experience.Finally have my own space.I had a marx train set when I was a kid.Found a model railroader mag when 17 and have been hooked ever since.
3 What lines I model? Well CP,CN,Bcr can't make up my mind.
4 What yaers I model? 1970's to present
5 How large a space? about 11x11ft
6 Dc or Dcc or other? Planning on using Dcc eventually.
7 Think will probably Proto freelance

Please remember I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
(Red Green)
Go to Top of Page

railliar
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  9:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Send railliar a Yahoo! Message
I think I answered this before, but maybe not, anyway,

1. Colorado Springs
2. Not counting my Lionel years, since 1955. My original intent was to do some table-top photography with model trains.
3. I've had my "own" railroad since 1959, the Sandric & Lake Superior. It's now integrated with the Rio Grande's Royal Gorge Route between Pueblo, Colo., and Salt lake City.
4. 1954.
5. The current S&LS (my 12th) is housed in a 1,500 square-foot basement. There's slightly over 2,000 feet of track in HO and HOn3. Further, it's designed for operation with nine mainline cabs, two dispatchers, six yards requiring yardmasters, and four branchlines. We average 28 trains per session and move in the neighborhood of 300-400 cars. It's basically two levels.
6. DC.
7. NMRA member 38.
8. If you're really curious what I look like, see the cover of Paul Mallery's 4th edition of "Electrical Handbook for Model Railroads, Vol. 2.

Eric Lundberg
Go to Top of Page

railliar
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  9:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Send railliar a Yahoo! Message
I think I answered this before, but maybe not, anyway,

1. Colorado Springs
2. Not counting my Lionel years, since 1955. My original intent was to do some table-top photography with model trains.
3. I've had my "own" railroad since 1959, the Sandric & Lake Superior. It's now integrated with the Rio Grande's Royal Gorge Route between Pueblo, Colo., and Salt lake City.
4. 1954.
5. The current S&LS (my 12th) is housed in a 1,500 square-foot basement. There's slightly over 2,000 feet of track in HO and HOn3. Further, it's designed for operation with nine mainline cabs, two dispatchers, six yards requiring yardmasters, and four branchlines. We average 28 trains per session and move in the neighborhood of 300-400 cars. It's basically two levels.
6. DC.
7. NMRA member 38.
8. If you're really curious what I look like, see the cover of Paul Mallery's 4th edition of "Electrical Handbook for Model Railroads, Vol. 2.

Eric Lundberg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000