Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

jferris
Section Hand

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jferris's Homepage
It is so nice getting to know our Web Neighbors!

quote:
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in

Chandler, AZ. About half an hour from downtown Phoenix.

quote:
2) How long modeling and how we got started

Off and on again for about twenty years. Got started with some HO Tyco stuff back in the day.

Moved to N Scale about twelve years ago, for a couple of years. Then I left the hobby for a while. Been back on the rails for about three years, or so.

quote:
3) What lines we model
  • Erie Lackawanna/Conrail transition

• Lehigh & Hudson River RR

• Middletown and New Jersey

The latter two interchanged with the first. Was thinking about throwing some O&W in the mix, too.

All of these lines, as I model for them, are as they ran through Orange County, NY. Places: Village of Chester, Middletown, Monroe, Goshen, Oxford.

quote:
4) years we model

Approx 1976-1980. I try to keep a four year window open to give me a little "flexibility" in what I do. This comes in really handy when modeling a transition period, I have learned.

quote:
5) how large our layout is

When completed, a series of sixteen modules, two feet wide and between four and eight feet long. I guess how big it really is will depend on how they are joined and how many actually get done.

quote:
6) if we use DC, DCC or other

Prewiring the modules for DCC, for when/if I ever run anything on them. I am just as content building them as running them (probably a bit more so, at that).

quote:
7) anything else you want to add

Considering starting a Web Site to share all of the prototype information that I have collected along with articles on how to go about harvesting this information.

Oh, yes... I am still modeling in N Scale. My wife wants to do an HO layout, which would mean that I would have no outside influence on my modules. [:-angel]

quote:
8) post your picture if you dare

I would if I had one. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find.
Go to Top of Page

jferris
Section Hand

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jferris's Homepage
It is so nice getting to know our Web Neighbors!

quote:

Chandler, AZ. About half an hour from downtown Phoenix.

quote:

Off and on again for about twenty years. Got started with some HO Tyco stuff back in the day.

Moved to N Scale about twelve years ago, for a couple of years. Then I left the hobby for a while. Been back on the rails for about three years, or so.

quote:
3) What lines we model
  • Erie Lackawanna/Conrail transition

• Lehigh & Hudson River RR

• Middletown and New Jersey

The latter two interchanged with the first. Was thinking about throwing some O&W in the mix, too.

All of these lines, as I model for them, are as they ran through Orange County, NY. Places: Village of Chester, Middletown, Monroe, Goshen, Oxford.

quote:
4) years we model

Approx 1976-1980. I try to keep a four year window open to give me a little "flexibility" in what I do. This comes in really handy when modeling a transition period, I have learned.

quote:

When completed, a series of sixteen modules, two feet wide and between four and eight feet long. I guess how big it really is will depend on how they are joined and how many actually get done.

quote:

Prewiring the modules for DCC, for when/if I ever run anything on them. I am just as content building them as running them (probably a bit more so, at that).

quote:

Considering starting a Web Site to share all of the prototype information that I have collected along with articles on how to go about harvesting this information.

Oh, yes... I am still modeling in N Scale. My wife wants to do an HO layout, which would mean that I would have no outside influence on my modules. [:-angel]

quote:

I would if I had one. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  9:25:35 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: An ex-pat Brit currently living inside the St. Louis, Missouri, City Limits.

2) How long modeling and how we got started: I was originally given a pile of trains and cars by my uncle back in the early 70s, unfortunately the trains were lost in a move soon after. I was returned to model railroading Christmas day 2001 when my in-laws gave me a Bachmann set.

3) What lines we model: ATSF in HO, BNSF in N, British Rail and every steam line that ever existed in the UK in OO.

4) years we model: 1973 HO, 1999 N, 1985 OO.

5) how large our layout is: Current running layout is 8x4, new layout which I have just started on in the basement of a new house is 46x16 two layer of which 28x16 will be scenicked, the rest will be hidden runaround and staging, one layer will be USA, the other will be the UK but the two will be connected by a helix. The N scale layout is currently 4x3 but should grow over the next few months to 7x3.

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: Currently DC, the new HO/OO layout will be wired in large blocks to enable easy conversion to DCC within a year. The N layout will probably stay DC.

7) anything else you want to add: prepare for huge quantities of questions as the layout starts to go together!

8) post your picture if you dare: I'm the least pretty one on the right:

MikeB

Building the first trans-Atlantic Railroad
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  9:25:35 PM  Show Profile
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: An ex-pat Brit currently living inside the St. Louis, Missouri, City Limits.

2) How long modeling and how we got started: I was originally given a pile of trains and cars by my uncle back in the early 70s, unfortunately the trains were lost in a move soon after. I was returned to model railroading Christmas day 2001 when my in-laws gave me a Bachmann set.

3) What lines we model: ATSF in HO, BNSF in N, British Rail and every steam line that ever existed in the UK in OO.

4) years we model: 1973 HO, 1999 N, 1985 OO.

5) how large our layout is: Current running layout is 8x4, new layout which I have just started on in the basement of a new house is 46x16 two layer of which 28x16 will be scenicked, the rest will be hidden runaround and staging, one layer will be USA, the other will be the UK but the two will be connected by a helix. The N scale layout is currently 4x3 but should grow over the next few months to 7x3.

6) if we use DC, DCC or other: Currently DC, the new HO/OO layout will be wired in large blocks to enable easy conversion to DCC within a year. The N layout will probably stay DC.

7) anything else you want to add: prepare for huge quantities of questions as the layout starts to go together!

8) post your picture if you dare: I'm the least pretty one on the right:

MikeB

Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  10:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike B
Thanks for the information. I like the MG logo in the picture.[:-jump2] Very Brit. My neighbor when I was a kid taught me to drive on an MGTD. It was a thrill that I will never forget.[:-sing] He also had an MGTC but I never got to drive it.[:-thumbd] About 30 years ago I did a ground up restoration of an Austin Healy 3000 tri carb. Lots of fun to drive. Lost the car when I was divorced and it had to be sold.[:-weepn] Wish to this day I still had that car.
Have a Happy New Year

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  10:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mike B
Thanks for the information. I like the MG logo in the picture.[:-jump2] Very Brit. My neighbor when I was a kid taught me to drive on an MGTD. It was a thrill that I will never forget.[:-sing] He also had an MGTC but I never got to drive it.[:-thumbd] About 30 years ago I did a ground up restoration of an Austin Healy 3000 tri carb. Lots of fun to drive. Lost the car when I was divorced and it had to be sold.[:-weepn] Wish to this day I still had that car.
Have a Happy New Year

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile
I met my wife on an MG messageboard, Bbags, we have a 1965 MGB in the garage that I have just finished welding new panels on. I moved to Arkansas when I first came to the USA but another MG friend persuaded us to come to St. Louis, he works for UP here, is a huge foamer and keeps me well supplied with "foamer fodder" as he calls it, I just got two copies of the UP 2003 calendar.

I have found an awful lot of model RR people in the MG world, they seem to go together for some reason!

MikeB

Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile
I met my wife on an MG messageboard, Bbags, we have a 1965 MGB in the garage that I have just finished welding new panels on. I moved to Arkansas when I first came to the USA but another MG friend persuaded us to come to St. Louis, he works for UP here, is a huge foamer and keeps me well supplied with "foamer fodder" as he calls it, I just got two copies of the UP 2003 calendar.

I have found an awful lot of model RR people in the MG world, they seem to go together for some reason!

MikeB

Go to Top of Page

jimfitch
Crew Chief

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  9:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send jimfitch an AOL message

1) Syracuse, NY (originally Davis CA near Sacramento)
2) Modeled since early teens (30 yrs) loved trains since I was little
3) Denver & Rio Grande (grew up with the SP)
4) 1966-1996
5) none at present - past two were 16x19 and 14x25
6) Own a Digitrax Radio Chief system
7) I'm separated and in an apartment, someday I'll have a basement again
8) done
Go to Top of Page

jimfitch
Crew Chief

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  9:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send jimfitch an AOL message

1) Syracuse, NY (originally Davis CA near Sacramento)
2) Modeled since early teens (30 yrs) loved trains since I was little
3) Denver & Rio Grande (grew up with the SP)
4) 1966-1996
5) none at present - past two were 16x19 and 14x25
6) Own a Digitrax Radio Chief system
7) I'm separated and in an apartment, someday I'll have a basement again
8) done
Go to Top of Page

theshawman
New Hire

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  5:10:32 PM  Show Profile
1. Just outside Halifax,Nova Scotia; Canada
2. Train set for christmas 1973
3. Canadian National
4. 1973-80,1992-present
5. Basement layout('L' shaped) approx 13'X50'
6. Atlas Commander & Lenz XPA
7. Happily married with two great daughters
8. No picture posting capability

Steve
Go to Top of Page

theshawman
New Hire

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  5:10:32 PM  Show Profile
1. Just outside Halifax,Nova Scotia; Canada
2. Train set for christmas 1973
3. Canadian National
4. 1973-80,1992-present
5. Basement layout('L' shaped) approx 13'X50'
6. Atlas Commander & Lenz XPA
7. Happily married with two great daughters
8. No picture posting capability

Steve
Go to Top of Page

ak-milw
Crew Chief

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  10:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address
#1-Camp Douglas Wis. U.S.A. #2-modeling since 1960, fisrt set was an o gauge Lionel #3- modeled Chicago & Northwestern for about 10 years, my next layout I am changing to Milwaukee Road #4- early foties to late sixties,steam to diesel# #5- my present layout is 9' by 13' L-shaped my next layout will be 16' by 20' approx. #6- DCC, MRC Command 2000, changing new layout to Digi Trax #7- haven't found a camera that dosen't break!!

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

ak-milw
Crew Chief

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  10:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address
#1-Camp Douglas Wis. U.S.A. #2-modeling since 1960, fisrt set was an o gauge Lionel #3- modeled Chicago & Northwestern for about 10 years, my next layout I am changing to Milwaukee Road #4- early foties to late sixties,steam to diesel# #5- my present layout is 9' by 13' L-shaped my next layout will be 16' by 20' approx. #6- DCC, MRC Command 2000, changing new layout to Digi Trax #7- haven't found a camera that dosen't break!!

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

johngraser
New Hire

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Mulino, OR. 30 miles south of Portland

1968, Marx 027 then few years later (Lionel 0 and AF S)
Now G gauge and HO

3) What lines we model
SP,ATSF,WP,UP,DGRR

4) years we model
1945 to present

None Currently plan on 75x40 in Metal barn

Dc currently
Will be DCC when starting on layout(Digitrax Chief)

Full size some day.....

John
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000