Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:00:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi
I asked Joe to bring back the "Who we are" topic and make it a sticky which he did.
Mike C. suggested that we start it again and I agree.
So here are the original questions.
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in
2) How long modeling and how we got started
3) What lines we model
4) years we model
5) how large is your layout and what scale do you model.
6) if we use DC, DCC or other
7) anything else you want to add
8) post your picture if you dare
Edited by John Bagley on December 24th
Since Joe has made this a sticky I have left these as the guideline questions to be answered. If anyone has a new question to be added send me an e-mail since I can edit this post.
Thanks

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 01/29/2004 7:17:57 PM

mhdishere
Crew Chief

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:16:15 AM  Show Profile
OK, I'll bite!

1) I live in Bergen County, NJ, near Paramus. If that's no help, NYC metropolitan area.

2) I got started in model railroading as a kid with set of Tyco trains for Christmas. Was in the hobby off and on, be back on for the last few years and finally have space for a layout.

3) I plan on modelling Central New Jersey RR

4) The time period changes depending on my mood. I'd really like to model 1942-ish, but have trouble finding vehicles, so I've pushed to late-40s

5) My layout area is about 9x11 feet, in one corner I can push out a little more as long as my wife doesn't go downstairs with a tape measure!

6) I plan on using plain ol' DC for now. In the future, who knows? I have a bunch of old engines that would be a big expense to convert now.
Go to Top of Page

mhdishere
Crew Chief

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:16:15 AM  Show Profile
OK, I'll bite!

1) I live in Bergen County, NJ, near Paramus. If that's no help, NYC metropolitan area.

2) I got started in model railroading as a kid with set of Tyco trains for Christmas. Was in the hobby off and on, be back on for the last few years and finally have space for a layout.

3) I plan on modelling Central New Jersey RR

4) The time period changes depending on my mood. I'd really like to model 1942-ish, but have trouble finding vehicles, so I've pushed to late-40s

5) My layout area is about 9x11 feet, in one corner I can push out a little more as long as my wife doesn't go downstairs with a tape measure!

6) I plan on using plain ol' DC for now. In the future, who knows? I have a bunch of old engines that would be a big expense to convert now.
Go to Top of Page

TomPM
Fireman

USA
4648 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Ok here I go

1. Nearest city: Drexel Hill, PA; which is about 12 miles west of Philadelphia, PA

2. How long modeling: Since my father got me my first train set at age 3; 36 years ago. I started real modeling about 25 years ago. I took sometime off and got back into again about 3 years ago.

3. Lines I model: My line the factious Reading Lackawanna Kensington & Trenton a bridge line in eastern PA. Since they do not own any equipment they borrow of lease of the connecting lines which are B&O, Reading, C&O, LNE, Chessie, Penn Central, PRR, and Western Maryland. In the future they will be using Conrail.

4. Years I model: I model four time periods: the mid 1950s, mid 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. My equipment is divided up into consists for each time period.

5.How large my layout is: My layout is a 4x 8 and 4x 6 in a L shape. I will be adding a 2 x 8 section and make it U shaped.

6.DC or DCC: I am currently DC. Maybe sometime down the road I will go to DCC but not in the foreseeable future.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100
Go to Top of Page

TomPM
Fireman

USA
4648 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message
Ok here I go

1. Nearest city: Drexel Hill, PA; which is about 12 miles west of Philadelphia, PA

2. How long modeling: Since my father got me my first train set at age 3; 36 years ago. I started real modeling about 25 years ago. I took sometime off and got back into again about 3 years ago.

3. Lines I model: My line the factious Reading Lackawanna Kensington & Trenton a bridge line in eastern PA. Since they do not own any equipment they borrow of lease of the connecting lines which are B&O, Reading, C&O, LNE, Chessie, Penn Central, PRR, and Western Maryland. In the future they will be using Conrail.

4. Years I model: I model four time periods: the mid 1950s, mid 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. My equipment is divided up into consists for each time period.

5.How large my layout is: My layout is a 4x 8 and 4x 6 in a L shape. I will be adding a 2 x 8 section and make it U shaped.

6.DC or DCC: I am currently DC. Maybe sometime down the road I will go to DCC but not in the foreseeable future.

Tom
Jack of All Trades Master of None
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
NARA Member #100
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7762 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  2:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
I live in Fishers, IN which is a bedroom community for Indianapolis.

This time around I've been modeling a year.

A fictisous lumber and mining railroad in the far northwest called the Fall Creek RR

1900-1930

12 feet at 32" wide with two "L"s of about 3'x3'

Yes I have the Prodigy System

I take all monitary donations sent in a plain envelope with unmarked bills.[:-bigeyes2]

Walt
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7762 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  2:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage
I live in Fishers, IN which is a bedroom community for Indianapolis.

This time around I've been modeling a year.

A fictisous lumber and mining railroad in the far northwest called the Fall Creek RR

1900-1930

12 feet at 32" wide with two "L"s of about 3'x3'

Yes I have the Prodigy System

I take all monitary donations sent in a plain envelope with unmarked bills.[:-bigeyes2]

Walt
Go to Top of Page

Wayne
Section Hand

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  11:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Here I go, I live about 35 miles north of Grand Rapids, Michigan, a little town called Coral.
This time around, modelling about 3 years.
My layout is an around the walls, in a 24x24 room, one peninsula. I model the ATSF in 1988-1992.
Using a Digitrax EB, looking to upgrade to a Chief.
And a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.[;-xmas][:-party]

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Wayne
Section Hand

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  11:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Here I go, I live about 35 miles north of Grand Rapids, Michigan, a little town called Coral.
This time around, modelling about 3 years.
My layout is an around the walls, in a 24x24 room, one peninsula. I model the ATSF in 1988-1992.
Using a Digitrax EB, looking to upgrade to a Chief.
And a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.[;-xmas][:-party]

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Since I asked for this topic I guess I should answer
I live in Clinton Connecticut which is on the CT shoreline about half way across the state.
I have been in model RRing for about 2 years. I have always liked to work with my hands and enjoy the fun of making something out of plans and wood.
3) What lines we model
The Alaska RR. My daughter lives and works in Alaska so I chose it to honor her and my grandson.
4) years we model
Late 80's early 90's
5) how large our layout is
Will be starting in 2 days to construct benchwork. Around the room which is 16' by 10' with one peninsula which is 6 by 6 . This gives me an L-shaped layout. Modular construction.

Undecided?
Great to see this forum back in action
This is a picture of my daughter Kathy (from Alaska) and my grandson Connor. This picture was taken in November 2000 as he is 2 1/2 now. The ugly guy is me.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 08/16/2003 1:42:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13304 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  6:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
Since I asked for this topic I guess I should answer
I live in Clinton Connecticut which is on the CT shoreline about half way across the state.
I have been in model RRing for about 2 years. I have always liked to work with my hands and enjoy the fun of making something out of plans and wood.
3) What lines we model
The Alaska RR. My daughter lives and works in Alaska so I chose it to honor her and my grandson.
4) years we model
Late 80's early 90's
Will be starting in 2 days to construct benchwork. Around the room which is 16' by 10' with one peninsula which is 6 by 6 . This gives me an L-shaped layout. Modular construction.

Undecided?
Great to see this forum back in action
This is a picture of my daughter Kathy (from Alaska) and my grandson Connor. This picture was taken in November 2000 as he is 2 1/2 now. The ugly guy is me.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 08/16/2003 1:42:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Well, it depends upon the day of the week. I divide my time between a home in a small town about 25 miles north of Kansas City, Mo. and a home at the Lake of the Ozarks.

quote:

I've been building models all of my life... well, most of it anyway. I went through the usual phases, ships and planes, armor, cars and hot rods, trains, as I was growing up. Once I finished graduate school and had the time to think straight again, I decided to make model railroading my "full-time" hobby.

quote:
3) What lines we model

Freelanced. My layout centers around the Central Missouri & Southern, which wholly owns the Osage Valley Tie & Lumber Co., my logging line

quote:
4) years we model

c. 1910- 1928

quote:

When completed, it will occupy approx. 1/3 of my basement, an area of about 14' X 23'

quote:

No DCC yet. When I have enough bench work completed and track laid, I'll consider it.
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Well, it depends upon the day of the week. I divide my time between a home in a small town about 25 miles north of Kansas City, Mo. and a home at the Lake of the Ozarks.

quote:

I've been building models all of my life... well, most of it anyway. I went through the usual phases, ships and planes, armor, cars and hot rods, trains, as I was growing up. Once I finished graduate school and had the time to think straight again, I decided to make model railroading my "full-time" hobby.

quote:
3) What lines we model

Freelanced. My layout centers around the Central Missouri & Southern, which wholly owns the Osage Valley Tie & Lumber Co., my logging line

quote:
4) years we model

c. 1910- 1928

quote:

When completed, it will occupy approx. 1/3 of my basement, an area of about 14' X 23'

quote:

No DCC yet. When I have enough bench work completed and track laid, I'll consider it.
Go to Top of Page

plbab
Engine Wiper

137 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I am in Galva, Illinois approx 1 hour east of Moline.Had a Lionel as a child many years ago nothing until 1 year ago now N scale. I live near a busy set of BNSF tracks about 1oo yards out my front window. Not sure of the lines yet. Modern. Layout will be C shaped with peninusla. Will be DCC. Paul

Edited by - plbab on 12/27/2002 4:39:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

plbab
Engine Wiper

137 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2002 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I am in Galva, Illinois approx 1 hour east of Moline.Had a Lionel as a child many years ago nothing until 1 year ago now N scale. I live near a busy set of BNSF tracks about 1oo yards out my front window. Not sure of the lines yet. Modern. Layout will be C shaped with peninusla. Will be DCC. Paul

Edited by - plbab on 12/27/2002 4:39:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wallace
Engine Wiper

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile
This responds to Mr. Bagley's suggestion:
I live near Glendale, California, and started modeling in 1940 with Lionel OO Gauge on a pingpong table, later building an open benchwork layout with scenery in 1946 after returning from WW2 service. I model the Southern Pacific steam era for running on the Glendale Model Railroad Club, which I joined in August, 1949. For my home layout, the Goldfield & Hangtown, I model the era from 1890 to 1915 in a room 20 x 25 feet exclusively for the layout, using DC through home-built throttles and controls based on Lynn Westcott's Cab Control articles in MR. Pictures of the G&HRR can be seen at "http://home.earthlink.net/~awwallace".
I have scratch-built 7 SP steam locos, with 1st place trophies for 4, and 1 Best-in-show, and 2 other places in contests. My current focus is on scenery for both home and Club layouts. The Glendale Club can be seen at "www.GMRRC.org", and it holds a free Open House on the first Monday every month, with 3-day Open Houses in the Spring and Fall each year. The Club is at 619 Hahn Ave., Glendale, Calif., and someone is there every Friday, also. Drop in when yu are in the area.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000