KATRINA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Australia
5838 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Most of us have seen or experienced some sort of natural disaster around the world, that forever remains in our memory. In Australia we have had many, from Bushfires, mini cyclones land fall slides. Actually, you could say, Aussies have had it better than most of the world.

During the Santa Clara NG convention, The disaster in Florida , I will never forget, as at the time I was with a few people directly effected by storms back where they lived.

The day I landed in Dearborne, 2005 was I time I will never forgot, as the events that unfolded during the late night and early morning hours just tore my heart apart.

Many people lost their lives. Thousands more, experienced, raging waters, destruction, the neighbourhood resembled a war zone. And to make matters worse, some citizens , put on show to the world, the "ugly american".... looting, shooting and burning... place where they live...

I often think of New Orleans....a place, Bud & I discussed visiting during 2007.....

A graphic documentry of what happened in September 2005 was shown on Oz TV tonight.

If any you have any weakness with emotional stories, do not watch this show. At times it will reduce you to tears.[:-cry].

Hope any members of the RRL who may have been effected in 2005, have in some way returned to normal life.... if that is ever possible..
an event once described.. 'as the worst disaster in American histroy".

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_times_are_a_changin_.html

kay4pacific
Fireman

USA
4765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  12:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Mario, We all have to admit that the times, they are a changin. We in the US has seen just about every area hit with disasters of one type or another, from floods to heat and fires.It seems that no one has escaped some hardship this year. In Europe the floods and high heat. Volcanoes are happening in other parts of the world, and even in your Australia, you have had some natural disasters. I am convinced, that unless we change our ways, global warming will continue to destroy the Earth.We are NOT living in normal times.[:-cry]
Go to Top of Page

Bosco5
Crew Chief

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  8:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
Mario:
I spent a great deal of time in New Orleans after Katrina due to business committments. I got on the ground about a day after the storm and was onsite for three weeks straight in a tent and then we leased an RV. The most heart breaking aspect of the whole event was the utter incompetance of the political leadership (local, state and federal). The only group who really helped was the US military, especially the active duty personnel. Some of the National Guard units (particuraly a communications outfit from Michigan) were very adept at liberating alcohol and other "contraband". The 82nd Airborne was superb.

One funny story - the Archbishop of New Orleans stayed in town during the hurricane in his TV studio. During WWII he was a chaplin in the 82nd airborne. When the two star (I'm not sure of the name) in command of the two brigades from the 82nd heard about this, he detailed a squad and helicopter to be at the Archbishops disposal. If you wanted something done in the 82nd sector all you nhad to do was go through the Archbishop. For a few weeks he became the unoffical king of New Orleans!

The sad part of the governmental failure was that the field people tried to help but where hamstrung by their superiors who where safely ensconced in there offices out the area.

There where many episodes where order broke down but for each one of those there where 10 examples where people went out of there way to help others they didn't know. The good stories don't seem to generate the same ratings on CNN as the bad ones.

I think I sound like an embittered old so and so and I'm not. I have high hopes for the eventual recovery of NOLA - it will never be the same as it was but it will get better.

Oh well, enough raving from me on a very emmotional topic.
Go to Top of Page

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Australia
5838 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  8:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Miles

Nice story and some of what you said was shown on public TV in Oz last night. The armed forces were supberb in many situations.

I think the world was well aware of the political incompentance from the top, down... but I made sure I did not mention this, as I might be black listed from visiting your great country in the future..... or even gagged on the RRL.

Just a shame the people down South,were left high and dry for days...... it was one of the worst cases of human tragedies I had ever witnessed from the comfort of my hotel room..

I look forward to hearing more good news about the latest progress of New Orleans.

"M"

THE DONKEY and ALL of US
>>>>
>>>>One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried
>>>>piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.
>>>>Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be
>>>>covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the
>>>>donkey.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>He invited all his neighbours to come over and help him. They all
>>>>grabbed a shovel and
>>>>began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized
>>>>what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's
>>>>amazement he quieted down.
>>>>
>>>>A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the
>>>>well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt
>>>>that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He
>>>>would shake it off and take a step up.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>As the farmer's neighbours continued to shovel dirt on top of the
>>>>animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon,
>>>>everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the
>>>>well and happily trotted off!
>>>>
>>>>Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick
>>>>to
>>>>getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up.
>>>>Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the
>>>>deepest wells just by not stopping,
>>>>never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
>>>>
>>>>1. Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.
>>>>
>>>>2. Free your mind from worries - Most never happen. Worry is
>>>>like a rocking chair - you're moving but going nowhere.
>>>>
>>>>3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.
>>>>
>>>>4. Give more.
>>>>
>>>>5. Expect less
>>>>
>>>>NOW --------Enough of that crap . . .
>>>>
>>>>The donkey later came back, and bit the **** out of the farmer
>>>>who had tried to bury him. The gash from the bite got infected,
>>>>and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock.
>>>>
>>>>MORAL
>>>>FROM TODAY'S LESSON :
>>>>
>>>>When you do something wrong, and try to cover your ass, it always
>>>>comes back to bite you.
>>>>

Go to Top of Page

kay4pacific
Fireman

USA
4765 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:57:23 PM  Show Profile
M, " The moral of the story" Could not have said it any better.[:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12928 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:19:03 PM  Show Profile
A lot of us feel like the "Big Easy" was one of America's worst disasters long before Katrina hit. The truth beknown Katrina probably did the area a favor. It really wasn't much more than the world's largest drug infested whore house. Someone once said God had all he could take of Burbon Street and that's why He sent Katrina. New Orleans had the highest crime rate of any city of it's size in this country and probably the world. The local and state officals took care of themselves but did nothing to help their own citizens then sat around and cried becuase the feds wouldn't run to their rescue faster. Most of the money that the taxpayers spent to "save" them was lost to fraud at a rate this country has never seen before. But on the bright side the crime rate dropped like a rock because all the dope dealers and pimps were the first to leave (gotta protect their investments don't you know), but when they got word all those tax dollars were flooding the town (pun intended) they rushed back in and the crime rate is soaring again. Oh well, maybe this hurricane season the USA will get lucky and another "cane" will finish the job.

* Just MHO and does not reflect the views of staff, other members or managment!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/03/2006 11:21:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5584 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Mike, it is funny you say that. I was getting that impression from people who visited. I talked to two of my female friends who visited the big easy in the last five years. Both came back with the opinion that the whole city should be flushed down the proverbial toilet. I was really suprised by their harsh reaction.

There was a massive screw up from the top down, god I hate govt idiots...I deal with them every day. A lot of good people were affected by that day and my heart goes out to them. But it is a very interesting situation.
Go to Top of Page

Bosco5
Crew Chief

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  08:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
Tyson, your response both surprises and disturbs me on several levels. You are entirely correct in citing the New Orleans was and is a very troubled city. I should know, I moved my family out of the city nine years ago for some of the reasons you list. However, as a religious person, I strongly doubt that the Lord sent Katrina as punishment for Bourbon Street. Why? Because Bourbon Street and the French Quarter was untouched by the storm, while large patches of the Gulf Coast from Texas to Alabama were devastated. I think the Lord's aim would be better than that.

The real tragedy of the storm was that it most impacted the people that a civilized society is supposed to protect: the elderly, the sick and the poor. We, as a nation, failed this test and I pray we all learn from the mistakes.

Perhaps the most disturbing comment was the reference of a hope that another "cane" would come this year to "finish the job". How many more deaths would you require to categorize the job as finished? Personally, I'd like to see no further deaths as I got to deal with too much of it last September.

I really doubt you want to see any further harm to anybody and I'll pray for you to help make sure of that.

Lastly, I think the moderators should lock this topic down as we have moved way off the topic of MMR'ng and into the very dangerous arenas of politics, religion, and morality. One of the pleasures of this forum is the friendly and polite quality of the discourse. I would be deeply upset to have facilitated a degredation in our communications.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with my reply.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000