Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rlb
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
If anyone needs help or advice with the use of this software, let me know. I've been using it for over a year and humbly consider myself an expert with its functions.

RickB

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile
An expert! Great! OK, I cannot figure out how to use the flex track function in RTS, when I try placing it to join two points it creates a stupid looking loop! Could you give me a quick lesson in how to use that part of the software?

Building the first trans-Atlantic Railroad
Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:

An expert! Great! OK, I cannot figure out how to use the flex track function in RTS, when I try placing it to join two points it creates a stupid looking loop! Could you give me a quick lesson in how to use that part of the software?

[img]http://www.mghorizon.101main.com/pics/trainlogo.gif">

Mike, go to Element - properties -flex track and tell me what settings you have in the boxes

iterations:
distance between base points:

Modeling the NYC railroad
(Not Yet Completed Railroad)

Phil
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile
iterations: - 5

distance between base points: - 20.0

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Mike, those should be ok, do me a favor send me a copy of the file so that I can look at it. I have designed over 200 layouts with Right Track and once you learn the quirks it is actually very easy to use.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Phil, test.ral is on it's way. I like the RTS software and find it very easy to use, the only thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is the flex track.

Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Mike, easy fix, after you create the flex track pick the symble below flex track (shape flex track) then click on your piece of flex track, you will get two black lines with large balls on them. click on one of the balls and drag it closer to the center of the flex track, then do the other. Adjust them to get the flow you want.

This can also be used on pieces in the opposite direction to smooth out long curves.

Try it Mike and let me know.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Phil! Worked just as you said. So simple when you know!

Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  1:44:24 PM  Show Profile
anytime Mike, and now you have Rick and Myself to answer your questions!! 2 for 1. Also Mike if you decrease the distance between basepoints to say 15 or 10 you will get less of a problem.

Rick, Nice to have another Right track user here, Happy to have you on Board!!

Phil
Go to Top of Page

rlb
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Phil, Sounds like you're on top of it. Another thing I've found that helps when adjusting the curve on flextrack is to zoom in really close on the piece of track you're working with (down to level 6 or 7). It makes the adjustment toggles (balls) much bigger and it's easier to grab hold of the one you want and you can also make much more finely-tuned adjusments. One habit that I've developed with flex is to draw the basic track configuration that I'm seeking using sectional pieces and then go back and delete several section at a time, replace them with a piece of flex. That way you can create radii other than the 15, 18, 22, and 24" available using sectional track.

RickB
Go to Top of Page

BruceF
Engine Wiper

218 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  4:10:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:

One habit that I've developed with flex is to draw the basic track configuration that I'm seeking using sectional pieces and then go back and delete several section at a time, replace them with a piece of flex. That way you can create radii other than the 15, 18, 22, and 24" available using sectional track.

RickB

I do the same thing. But I find it difficult in situations where double main lines go into a curve. I can't seem to keep them in a consistent spacing.

I've already done my layout, so it's no big deal. But it's just one of those things that I never quite mastered.

Modeling the Belmar Valley, a fictitious place served by N&W.
Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Ph Another thing I've found that helps when adjusting the curve on flextrack is to zoom in really close on the piece of track you're working with (down to level 6 or 7). It makes the adjustment toggles (balls) much bigger and it's easier to grab hold of the one you want and you can also make much more finely-tuned adjusments.

Good point I forgot to mention that. I usually don't use the sectional track, I do use the shape flex track under special menu for curves. If you get a chance look at my design for my own layout under
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=393 I have changed the upper room slightly and added another stagging area, but the basic plan is the same. The lower room has all the track layed and in the scenery stage now.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

rlb
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  4:24:48 PM  Show Profile
Bruce, I create double tracks this way: First, draw one of the tracks and adjust the curve as you want it. Then disconnect that section of track at both ends. Then select that section. Go to the "Special" menu and select "Parallel Tracks". You can then type in the distance between centers and select top or bottom or left or right (which side you want the new parallel track to be placed). When you click OK, the new section of track is created and placed exactly parallel with the spacing you've designated. Sometimes the software doesn't put the track on the side you'd expect, but if that happens just undo and go back and select the opposite side.

RickB

Edited by - rlb on 05/16/2002 16:29:34
Go to Top of Page

BruceF
Engine Wiper

218 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  4:41:33 PM  Show Profile
THANKS rlb!!

One of those things I must have missed in the instructions...

Modeling the Belmar Valley, a fictitious place served by N&W.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Crew Chief

578 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Bruce, I create double tracks this way: First, draw one of the tracks and adjust the curve as you want it. Then disconnect that section of track at both ends. Then select that section. Go to the "Special" menu and select "Parallel Tracks". You can then type in the distance between centers and select top or bottom or left or right (which side you want the new parallel track to be placed). When you click OK, the new section of track is created and placed exactly parallel with the spacing you've designated. Sometimes the software doesn't put the track on the side you'd expect, but if that happens just undo and go back and select the opposite side.

RickB

Edited by - rlb on 05/16/2002 16:29:34

Maybe I should try reading the instructions sometime - this will make life so much easier! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

NYC
Fireman

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  7:58:42 PM  Show Profile
There's instructions!!! I must have missed them!!! actually they leave alot to be desired!!

Phil
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000