Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm contemplating altering a section of the layout that will actually make the overall size of it smaller. [:-bigeyes][:-bigeyes2][:-bigeyes]
Shocking, isn't it? I have come to find out that bigger isn't always better.
As it is now, when I'm in the layout room, it feels "crowded", even if I'm the only one in there.
And, currently my workbench is outside of the layout room. I'd like to move it into the layout room
itself, to feel more as "one" with the layout.

Here's a couple of photographs showing how it looks today. What I'm thinking of doing is rebuilding
one of those return loops to make room for the workbench (see current and proposed plans below).

Here's a floorplan showing how the benchwork is now, with the mainline shown in red.

And here's what I'm thinking of doing. With this modification, all of the existing scenicked
areas would be preserved, so there'd be no loss there. I'd get to move the workbench into the layout room.
It would seem more "roomy". And I'd get storage area for where the workbench used to be.
Another think I was thinking is that the trackage at the back of that existing return loop
is going to be difficult to get at in the future, so might as well rip it out now and be done with it.
Also, as you can see the "diving board" peninsula would be gone.

What do you guys think? Does have a workbench apart from the layout bug anyone besides me?

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Also, the proposed layout alteration says "#1", but I couldn't really think of a #2, so if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Also, the proposed layout alteration says "#1", but I couldn't really think of a #2, so if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
Okay if you want to make it smaller....
If so, I would also add a track to/over the workbench.
This allows you to work on and test locos & rolling stock.
How high is the layout? wont the bench fit beneath it?
-Marty
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
Okay if you want to make it smaller....
If so, I would also add a track to/over the workbench.
This allows you to work on and test locos & rolling stock.
How high is the layout? wont the bench fit beneath it?
-Marty
Go to Top of Page

Bosco5
Crew Chief

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
Eddie:

Having a workbench that is adjacent to your layout is very useful and allows for "quick projects" or on-the-spot alterations. It also has the drawback of allowing a lot of clutter to be near you layout and, if your like me, that clutter will find it's way onto and into the layout. Sawdust and general modeling debris are also an issue. You can get a glimpse of the proximity of my workbench to the layout in the picture below:

From your diagram, it appears that the workbench will be beside the layout so you might not have the dust issues I do. One other thing I've learned is to allow for a great deal of shelving to provide areas to place items so you don't place things on the layout itself.

You might consider adding a yard in the area where you workbench currently resides

Good luck with the re-design.

Go to Top of Page

Bosco5
Crew Chief

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage
Eddie:

Having a workbench that is adjacent to your layout is very useful and allows for "quick projects" or on-the-spot alterations. It also has the drawback of allowing a lot of clutter to be near you layout and, if your like me, that clutter will find it's way onto and into the layout. Sawdust and general modeling debris are also an issue. You can get a glimpse of the proximity of my workbench to the layout in the picture below:

From your diagram, it appears that the workbench will be beside the layout so you might not have the dust issues I do. One other thing I've learned is to allow for a great deal of shelving to provide areas to place items so you don't place things on the layout itself.

You might consider adding a yard in the area where you workbench currently resides

Good luck with the re-design.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Tom,
My workbench is in another room, and I don't see it as a problem. The workbench is in the finished part of the basement, so I can be sociable while still working on a project. The layout is in the back of the basement where no one else ever goes.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Tom,
My workbench is in another room, and I don't see it as a problem. The workbench is in the finished part of the basement, so I can be sociable while still working on a project. The layout is in the back of the basement where no one else ever goes.
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Eddie
Take it from a guy who suffers from a tiny railroad; 10 x 2.5 feet. I would keep the workshop on the outside of the room and keep the railroad room for the layout. I go through contortions and all sorts of negotiations with my wife for a few extra square feet. If you need breathing space, eliminate the 'diving board' peninsula.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  9:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Eddie
Take it from a guy who suffers from a tiny railroad; 10 x 2.5 feet. I would keep the workshop on the outside of the room and keep the railroad room for the layout. I go through contortions and all sorts of negotiations with my wife for a few extra square feet. If you need breathing space, eliminate the 'diving board' peninsula.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  11:47:41 PM  Show Profile
As your layout progresses you may find less need for a large workbench. I'm sure your corner module and some other have needed a large area but those will come about less often as the thing nears completion would be my feeling. With that in mind, I would suggest leaving the track as is but consider using the peninsula as a work area. Lots to consider like where the power supply, etc. for the workbench but I like the general feel of that longer loop and feel like a full 360 degree turn would be harder to make look nice. If that would fit for the bench space there would be less teardown involved and also a chance of improvising a hard cover to set over projects on the workbench when you have "company". I've used a roll around workbench but it doesn't work to have to clear the top to get it under an existing layout. It stills needs floorspace.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  11:47:41 PM  Show Profile
As your layout progresses you may find less need for a large workbench. I'm sure your corner module and some other have needed a large area but those will come about less often as the thing nears completion would be my feeling. With that in mind, I would suggest leaving the track as is but consider using the peninsula as a work area. Lots to consider like where the power supply, etc. for the workbench but I like the general feel of that longer loop and feel like a full 360 degree turn would be harder to make look nice. If that would fit for the bench space there would be less teardown involved and also a chance of improvising a hard cover to set over projects on the workbench when you have "company". I've used a roll around workbench but it doesn't work to have to clear the top to get it under an existing layout. It stills needs floorspace.
Go to Top of Page

the arkansas traveler
Engine Wiper

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eddie,

Go to Top of Page

the arkansas traveler
Engine Wiper

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Eddie,

Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Ed, how about making the workbench portable put some heavy duty rolling lockable casters under it so you can bring it in and be with the layout, and remove it easily when you want to run it. Pat

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000