Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Tyson Rayles

USA
12943 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Dennis you have now found out why it's a lifetime hobby:

We spend our whole lives fixing our screw-ups!

[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger man, we all make mistakes (and some of us on a real regular basis too ) !.

Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile
That's okay, Dennis. You don't have to tell everyone when/if you screw up. That's why we keep our wives around. They take care of all those things for us. >)@##
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile
That's okay, Dennis. You don't have to tell everyone when/if you screw up. That's why we keep our wives around. They take care of all those things for us. >)@##
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile
OK, but isn't it a bit refreshing to have someone acknowledge they screwed up instead of blaming it on someone or something else?

At any rate, the Dull Cote did not work. I don't have any India ink in my paint collection yet, so I didn't have an opportunity to try that option.

Here's what I did instead: Mixed one cup water with 1/2 cup plaster and painted it over the shinny areas -- rock faces and bare mountain slopes. Thought it might allow the existing colors to show through. It didn't. So I'm now repainting selected rocks and the steep slope. Which is far easier than living with a shinny mountain.

Problem resolved. I appreciate your collective input as it was instrumental in getting my problem-solving juices flowing.

Thanks, again!

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile
OK, but isn't it a bit refreshing to have someone acknowledge they screwed up instead of blaming it on someone or something else?

At any rate, the Dull Cote did not work. I don't have any India ink in my paint collection yet, so I didn't have an opportunity to try that option.

Here's what I did instead: Mixed one cup water with 1/2 cup plaster and painted it over the shinny areas -- rock faces and bare mountain slopes. Thought it might allow the existing colors to show through. It didn't. So I'm now repainting selected rocks and the steep slope. Which is far easier than living with a shinny mountain.

Problem resolved. I appreciate your collective input as it was instrumental in getting my problem-solving juices flowing.

Thanks, again!

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dsteele

You're right, it is refreshing in a sense. I've been poking around on another forum where the members are complaining about Model Power's new N-scale 4-4-0 steam loco. The complaint is that it won't climb a 4,5 or 8% grade! 8%!!!! Model Power designed for 2% and that seems resonable to me. In anycase they feel Model Power screwed up ... I disagree and just placed an order for one of those neat little 4-4-0!

In anycase I am glad you solved your problem. I thought that colored plaster would have worked but paint hides a multitude of errors.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  11:17:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dsteele

You're right, it is refreshing in a sense. I've been poking around on another forum where the members are complaining about Model Power's new N-scale 4-4-0 steam loco. The complaint is that it won't climb a 4,5 or 8% grade! 8%!!!! Model Power designed for 2% and that seems resonable to me. In anycase they feel Model Power screwed up ... I disagree and just placed an order for one of those neat little 4-4-0!

In anycase I am glad you solved your problem. I thought that colored plaster would have worked but paint hides a multitude of errors.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  12:39:24 PM  Show Profile
We are a little late with any suggestions that worked but here is a bit to store away for future. Almost all rocks and slopes have some type of growth on them. Someway something finds their niche and plants themself. Whether it vegitation or some lichen or fungus, there's usually something. Maybe try wetting with glue/ water and adding some foam, dirt or "stuff" would help to hide the shine. I have a neat little jar with a lid to blow into and spray foam onto vertical surfaces. Read the idea in a mag so not an original idea but with two holes for tubing you can blow into one while using the other to direct the foam or dirt onto steep places where you can't drop it.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  12:39:24 PM  Show Profile
We are a little late with any suggestions that worked but here is a bit to store away for future. Almost all rocks and slopes have some type of growth on them. Someway something finds their niche and plants themself. Whether it vegitation or some lichen or fungus, there's usually something. Maybe try wetting with glue/ water and adding some foam, dirt or "stuff" would help to hide the shine. I have a neat little jar with a lid to blow into and spray foam onto vertical surfaces. Read the idea in a mag so not an original idea but with two holes for tubing you can blow into one while using the other to direct the foam or dirt onto steep places where you can't drop it.
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4630 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rich, that sounds like a cool tool, how about a picture???
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4630 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rich, that sounds like a cool tool, how about a picture???
Go to Top of Page

shortliner
Crew Chief

United Kingdom
523 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Rich - that brings up a wonderful picture in my mind of somebody blowing into one hole in the lid, and winding up with green foam all over the side of his face, neck and shoulder! <VVBG>
Shortliner(Jack)away up here, giggling in the Highlands
Go to Top of Page

shortliner
Crew Chief

United Kingdom
523 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Rich - that brings up a wonderful picture in my mind of somebody blowing into one hole in the lid, and winding up with green foam all over the side of his face, neck and shoulder! <VVBG>
Shortliner(Jack)away up here, giggling in the Highlands
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  3:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about no picture. We are in the making of a house change and most of the railroad is packed. [:-brokenheart] Perhaps a word picture would do? [:-bulb] A small jar, Baby food in my case. Small yogurt cups with lids that snap on would work nice and be easy to drill. Drill two holes in the lid to fit two small flexible plastic tubes. Quarter inch is nice for the tubing I used. Place about twelve inches of tube in one hole to blow into and a length 12-18 inches to use as an outlet. Place a small amount of foam, dirt, etc. in the jar and you are set. By wetting the surface to give the stuff something to stick in, all you have to do is give small puffs into the one tube and direct it as it comes out the other. Makes it possible to put small stuff up under cliffs or overhangs where it is difficult to get stuff otherwise. Takes a bit of getting used to controlling but not rocket science either. Yes, there is some danger of placing foam in your ear but a lot more likely is sucking instead of blowing. That places it in your mouth. YUCK. [:-crazy] Check the flavor of your dirt first and don't ask how I know. Unlike Dennis, I don't want to admit it.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  3:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about no picture. We are in the making of a house change and most of the railroad is packed. [:-brokenheart] Perhaps a word picture would do? [:-bulb] A small jar, Baby food in my case. Small yogurt cups with lids that snap on would work nice and be easy to drill. Drill two holes in the lid to fit two small flexible plastic tubes. Quarter inch is nice for the tubing I used. Place about twelve inches of tube in one hole to blow into and a length 12-18 inches to use as an outlet. Place a small amount of foam, dirt, etc. in the jar and you are set. By wetting the surface to give the stuff something to stick in, all you have to do is give small puffs into the one tube and direct it as it comes out the other. Makes it possible to put small stuff up under cliffs or overhangs where it is difficult to get stuff otherwise. Takes a bit of getting used to controlling but not rocket science either. Yes, there is some danger of placing foam in your ear but a lot more likely is sucking instead of blowing. That places it in your mouth. YUCK. [:-crazy] Check the flavor of your dirt first and don't ask how I know. Unlike Dennis, I don't want to admit it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000