Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:25:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the process of scenicking a mountain set somewhere in the mid to southern Rockies. Once I colored the base plaster and rock faces I covered everything with a coat of 50/50 glue and water.

I'd forgotten that Elmer's white glue dries with a bit of a shine. So I tried a glue/water mix using Woodland Scenics Scenery Cement, which is supposed to dry dull/matte. A second coat didn't help any. Now I've tried a coat of Modge Podge matte and it too is drying with a bit of gloss to it.

About the only thing I can think left to try is Testor's Dull Cote.

What other options do I have to create a dull, nonshinny finish on my mountain?

Thanks!

Dennis

Mark B
Engine Wiper

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage
Dennis,

You might the old alcohol and ink mixture( 1 pint 70% Isopropyl alcohol 1 tsp of Black India Ink mixed in). I believe when the diluted ink dries it leaves a very flat finish. Try this on a small section first to see what results you get. You may have to dilute the mixture with more alcohol if the original darkens the surface too much. Just an idea, hopefully it works.
Mark B.
Go to Top of Page

Mark B
Engine Wiper

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage
Dennis,

You might the old alcohol and ink mixture( 1 pint 70% Isopropyl alcohol 1 tsp of Black India Ink mixed in). I believe when the diluted ink dries it leaves a very flat finish. Try this on a small section first to see what results you get. You may have to dilute the mixture with more alcohol if the original darkens the surface too much. Just an idea, hopefully it works.
Mark B.
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Gee, sounds like a problem Dennis. I am not sure I have a good solution for you. I am wondering why you covered the rocks with the glue. Where you gluing something down?

The dull coat may work. Flat paints may work or a black wash might dull the sheen. Could you mix up a fresh batch of colored plaster and brush that on the rocks? You may lose detail that way though. Maybe casting new rocks in place over the old ones? To much rock to replace?

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Gee, sounds like a problem Dennis. I am not sure I have a good solution for you. I am wondering why you covered the rocks with the glue. Where you gluing something down?

The dull coat may work. Flat paints may work or a black wash might dull the sheen. Could you mix up a fresh batch of colored plaster and brush that on the rocks? You may lose detail that way though. Maybe casting new rocks in place over the old ones? To much rock to replace?

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

smason2
Fireman

2960 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Dullcote.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

smason2
Fireman

2960 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Dullcote.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, sounds like Scott is pretty confident that dullcote will work . Be sure to let us know how you make out.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, sounds like Scott is pretty confident that dullcote will work . Be sure to let us know how you make out.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12960 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  6:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Like Joe I'm stumped as to why you put the glue on it the first place but dullcote is probably the way to go now.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12960 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  6:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Like Joe I'm stumped as to why you put the glue on it the first place but dullcote is probably the way to go now.
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, let's clear the air: I'm stupid.

I thought I was sealing the stained/painted rock faces and other exposed rock on my mountain. Thought I seen that recommended someplace.

Three lessons learned: (1) Don't think, (2) Don't trust my memory) and, (3) Research my notes before taking any steps.

OK, I've gotten some ideas about how to proceed. I'll test on some small areas and report back later in the weekend.

Thank your for your patience.

D for Dunce
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, let's clear the air: I'm stupid.

I thought I was sealing the stained/painted rock faces and other exposed rock on my mountain. Thought I seen that recommended someplace.

Three lessons learned: (1) Don't think, (2) Don't trust my memory) and, (3) Research my notes before taking any steps.

OK, I've gotten some ideas about how to proceed. I'll test on some small areas and report back later in the weekend.

Thank your for your patience.

D for Dunce
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,

if you knew how many "brite ideas" I have thrown in the trash through the years you'd not feel like a dunce. We live and learn and the worst thing that can happen is that you have to do some rework.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,

if you knew how many "brite ideas" I have thrown in the trash through the years you'd not feel like a dunce. We live and learn and the worst thing that can happen is that you have to do some rework.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12960 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Dennis you have now found out why it's a lifetime hobby:

We spend our whole lives fixing our screw-ups!

[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger man, we all make mistakes (and some of us on a real regular basis too ) !.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000