New Topic  Topic Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Siccmade
New Hire

9 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  11:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Can some one tell me where to start on making my mountain,is starifoam or plaster better or what is easier?

Download Attachment: 879.jpg
101.65 KB

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Hello there and welcome to the forum. Lots and lots of different ways and which is better is really open for debate. I will go with telling you what I like best at this time. I've used lots of different methods that work equally well, though. Since you seem to have a good start with using the foam, I would continue with it as the main material. I suggest building a mountain that can be picked up at this time so that the tunnel can be built later also for access to the track. I think you are indicating the mountain over the tracks? I would stack or glue together enough foam to meet the height you want carving any hills or slopes as you like. I suggest leaving a rather large opening for the tunnel and filling in tunnel portal and liner for the portion you see once you like the mountain you build. Just a three or four inch cutout along where the tracks go. One of the nice things about foam is the ease of adding more or cutting out if it gets in the way. I glue mine foam with plain Elmer's glue but whatever you like will do it. Once you have a blob form that looks right to use I would then go back over it with plaster soaked towels, Medical plaster wrap or whatever you like best to build your terrain. I use An item called "Rags IN A Box" from the home center dipped in plaster, draping them over the foam. Once dry, paint it with a "ground color" cheap paint and throw on some foliage. Only extend the plaster down to the rest of the layout or put wax paper, etc. down to keep it from sticking to the rest too tight to remove. Once you feel good about the mountain you can go on with all the other details you may want to add. Tunnel portals, tunnel liner, track ballast are a few you may want. With the mountain movable it is much easier to work on the track and add details as you get into it further. These are just my thoughts and I'm sure there will be others suggested.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Hello there and welcome to the forum. Lots and lots of different ways and which is better is really open for debate. I will go with telling you what I like best at this time. I've used lots of different methods that work equally well, though. Since you seem to have a good start with using the foam, I would continue with it as the main material. I suggest building a mountain that can be picked up at this time so that the tunnel can be built later also for access to the track. I think you are indicating the mountain over the tracks? I would stack or glue together enough foam to meet the height you want carving any hills or slopes as you like. I suggest leaving a rather large opening for the tunnel and filling in tunnel portal and liner for the portion you see once you like the mountain you build. Just a three or four inch cutout along where the tracks go. One of the nice things about foam is the ease of adding more or cutting out if it gets in the way. I glue mine foam with plain Elmer's glue but whatever you like will do it. Once you have a blob form that looks right to use I would then go back over it with plaster soaked towels, Medical plaster wrap or whatever you like best to build your terrain. I use An item called "Rags IN A Box" from the home center dipped in plaster, draping them over the foam. Once dry, paint it with a "ground color" cheap paint and throw on some foliage. Only extend the plaster down to the rest of the layout or put wax paper, etc. down to keep it from sticking to the rest too tight to remove. Once you feel good about the mountain you can go on with all the other details you may want to add. Tunnel portals, tunnel liner, track ballast are a few you may want. With the mountain movable it is much easier to work on the track and add details as you get into it further. These are just my thoughts and I'm sure there will be others suggested.
Go to Top of Page

RodH
Engine Wiper

Australia
340 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Siccmade

Hi there, Here is how I do it.
http://users.tpg.com.au/bhutchin/HobbyPages/Pages/Landscaping.html

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia
Go to Top of Page

RodH
Engine Wiper

Australia
340 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Siccmade

Hi there, Here is how I do it.
http://users.tpg.com.au/bhutchin/HobbyPages/Pages/Landscaping.html

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5584 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  06:03:58 AM  Show Profile
I would contine the foam as well. Thats what I use. Just stack it up wedding cake style. Glue it with liquid foam for projects and stick a few bamboo sticks in for stability.

Then get a hacksaw blade and Stanley sureform and carve away. At this point you can cover it with plaster paper towels or paint it and cover with ground cover. The reason I made my mountains this way is cause I need to plant lots of trees. Real easy with foam. Stick an awl in the foam then plant a tree. If I get a chance I will post a pic later this week.
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5584 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  06:03:58 AM  Show Profile
I would contine the foam as well. Thats what I use. Just stack it up wedding cake style. Glue it with liquid foam for projects and stick a few bamboo sticks in for stability.

Then get a hacksaw blade and Stanley sureform and carve away. At this point you can cover it with plaster paper towels or paint it and cover with ground cover. The reason I made my mountains this way is cause I need to plant lots of trees. Real easy with foam. Stick an awl in the foam then plant a tree. If I get a chance I will post a pic later this week.
Go to Top of Page

Cigarguy
Fireman

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  09:00:26 AM  Show Profile
When I make a mountain, I usually start with a mole hill .

Serioulsly, I also use the foam covered with plaster soaked rags. Like Ralph, I glue it with construction adhesive, and poke bamboo skewers down through it. It is SO easy to plant trees in this type of scenery.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"
Go to Top of Page

Cigarguy
Fireman

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  09:00:26 AM  Show Profile
When I make a mountain, I usually start with a mole hill .

Serioulsly, I also use the foam covered with plaster soaked rags. Like Ralph, I glue it with construction adhesive, and poke bamboo skewers down through it. It is SO easy to plant trees in this type of scenery.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13309 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
When looking at the picture you have posted it looks as if this mountain will be in a corner.
Here is a link to a tutorial on building a mountain in a corner that was done by Eddie Landreth which is similar to the construction you are asking about.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9650

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13309 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
When looking at the picture you have posted it looks as if this mountain will be in a corner.
Here is a link to a tutorial on building a mountain in a corner that was done by Eddie Landreth which is similar to the construction you are asking about.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9650

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Depending on budget, you may find a cheaper way works just as well. Cardboard cut to the profile you want can be stapled to the table edge and the the tunnel sides. Filled with wadded newspaper and covered with the plaster cloth works much the same. Nearly no expense involved so you can feel more free to experiment with the shapes you want. Just be sure to put a good cover of cardboard over the track. Plaster is a bear to get out from between the ties.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Depending on budget, you may find a cheaper way works just as well. Cardboard cut to the profile you want can be stapled to the table edge and the the tunnel sides. Filled with wadded newspaper and covered with the plaster cloth works much the same. Nearly no expense involved so you can feel more free to experiment with the shapes you want. Just be sure to put a good cover of cardboard over the track. Plaster is a bear to get out from between the ties.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry M
Fireman

USA
4055 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I like the info here. I to have been thinking of using foam of some kind for scenery as my layout needs to remain lite weight.When using the insulation board around here it is blue, dont know if the color means anything. I see all these hot wire devices being advertised, are they safe to use? Does anyone know if this stuff puts off any undesirable fumes when hot? Is the blue board as messy as styrophoam when cutting? Thanks, from the old aviery wire and plaster days and want to try something new.. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Jerry M
Fireman

USA
4055 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I like the info here. I to have been thinking of using foam of some kind for scenery as my layout needs to remain lite weight.When using the insulation board around here it is blue, dont know if the color means anything. I see all these hot wire devices being advertised, are they safe to use? Does anyone know if this stuff puts off any undesirable fumes when hot? Is the blue board as messy as styrophoam when cutting? Thanks, from the old aviery wire and plaster days and want to try something new.. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  5:45:19 PM  Show Profile
From my experience with the stuff I will not be using as much wood in the future. For cutting there are any number of things to use. I went with the common stuff I had on hand. The hot iwre cutters probably work good but it seems to be just one more tool to buy. When heated the foam does put off a lot of fumes. The hot wire just does not melt as much as other tools therefore far less smoke. I find the blue or pink to be the same. Both are far, far less trouble than the cheap white styro like packing. I cut it with a hacksaw blade or knife to basic shape and use almost including Dremel tools, Surform tool, and belt sander to do shaping. There is some trouble with sanding particles but not to the level you have with the white. Not much more trouble to clean up than sawdust would be. Some static cling but livable to me. Jump in and try it before investing in a special tool is my recommendation. Very forgiving stuff and quick since it will all be covered with paint and scenery anyway.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000