Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jrbernier
New Hire

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  6:58:20 PM  Show Profile
A few months back, someone posted a link to a tool that was used to paint the side of HO rail - seemed pretty slick. I have 'googled' the net and have done a search on the forum to no avail.
Anyone still have that link? The tool had a pair of wipers that were loaded with paint, and it very nicely did the sides of the rail without getting the ties painted as well.

Jim Bernier

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Jim, that sounds like a neat and very useful tool. But I don't recall reading anything about here on RR-L. Are you sure it was posted here? I'd like to know more about the tool myself. (I hate setting up my airbrush just to paint a little rail, and I'm too sloppy with a regular brush to make a neat job of it.)

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Jim, that sounds like a neat and very useful tool. But I don't recall reading anything about here on RR-L. Are you sure it was posted here? I'd like to know more about the tool myself. (I hate setting up my airbrush just to paint a little rail, and I'm too sloppy with a regular brush to make a neat job of it.)

Go to Top of Page

jrbernier
New Hire

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  9:25:51 PM  Show Profile
I just found it - Joe's Model Trains - he has a web page and it sells fro about $15 + shipping. I just ordered one to test....

Jim Bernier
Go to Top of Page

jrbernier
New Hire

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  9:25:51 PM  Show Profile
I just found it - Joe's Model Trains - he has a web page and it sells fro about $15 + shipping. I just ordered one to test....

Jim Bernier
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:09:41 PM  Show Profile

Here is a link: http://joesmodeltrains.com/painting_track_tool.htm

Never used this product or purchased anything from them but Joe's Model Trains has several interesting items.

Paul B
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:09:41 PM  Show Profile

Here is a link: http://joesmodeltrains.com/painting_track_tool.htm

Never used this product or purchased anything from them but Joe's Model Trains has several interesting items.

Paul B
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
I had one.
It was a ral pain to use.
"In theory" it sounded good, did not work to my satisfaction.
The only way to do it correctly in my opinion is to airbrush before installation;
or atleast before ballast - if you want it to look good.
Mine ended up in the trash 30 minutes after the first use.
mj
Go to Top of Page

lab-dad
Fireman

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message
I had one.
It was a ral pain to use.
"In theory" it sounded good, did not work to my satisfaction.
The only way to do it correctly in my opinion is to airbrush before installation;
or atleast before ballast - if you want it to look good.
Mine ended up in the trash 30 minutes after the first use.
mj
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile
For track painting,I use either a Testors brush,my airbrush or a spray can..All works for me..
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile
For track painting,I use either a Testors brush,my airbrush or a spray can..All works for me..
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2440 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I use the airbrush for the ties, then a thin flat brush for the rails. Takes a little longer, but it works for me.[:-thumbu] Course, in my spatially challenged train room, I don't have a heck of a lot of track.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2440 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I use the airbrush for the ties, then a thin flat brush for the rails. Takes a little longer, but it works for me.[:-thumbu] Course, in my spatially challenged train room, I don't have a heck of a lot of track.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I use a thin acrylic wash of 50/50 "burnt umber"/"dolphin grey" that's diluted 50/50 with water and brush it on with a large watercolor brush. Having a lot of mainline (about 200') plus yards to cover, using airbrushable paints by little jars at a time would be cost prohibitive. However, for the rails themselves, I use a fine liner brush and PollyScale "Rust". Tedious, but looks good I think.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

USA
2714 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I use a thin acrylic wash of 50/50 "burnt umber"/"dolphin grey" that's diluted 50/50 with water and brush it on with a large watercolor brush. Having a lot of mainline (about 200') plus yards to cover, using airbrushable paints by little jars at a time would be cost prohibitive. However, for the rails themselves, I use a fine liner brush and PollyScale "Rust". Tedious, but looks good I think.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  9:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message
I also used the air brush with Poly-s RR tie brown to paint the ties but then I hand painted all the rails, Spikes and spike plates on all 200' of track as well as 30 switches

For the rail color I took an empty Poly-S bottle filled 2/3 bottle with Ceramicoat Brown Iron Oxide then added 1/2 of the remaining 1/3 with ceramicoats raw umber and the other 1/2 with water.

This is the result the same paint is on the wheels as on the paint the only reason some of the paint is missing on the rails is because I messed up the ballast the first time and while the glue was still wet I scrubed it off with a brush and took a little of the paint with it.

Edited by - Dreamweaver on 10/06/2005 9:23:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000