Self-leveling fluids?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  1:22:22 PM  Show Profile
My layout has a "mine-out quarry that has filled up with rain and snow melt over several decades." The benchwork, however, is not level due to cookie-cutter top.

What kinds of fluids might I use to fill in the base of the quarry to make it level before I paint and scenic it?

I tried a test with 50/50 water and plaster. Takes forever to dry and has noticable air bubbles.

I do have the time to continue the thin layers of watered down plaster, but suspect there are other methods.

Thanks!

Dennis

George D

USA
15085 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,

If there is a way to tap the area under the newly poured plaster with a small hammer, screwdriver handle or the like, the bubbles will rise to the surface and disappear.

Otherwise, you might spread a thin layer of drywall mud over the poured plaster.

George
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15085 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Dennis,

If there is a way to tap the area under the newly poured plaster with a small hammer, screwdriver handle or the like, the bubbles will rise to the surface and disappear.

Otherwise, you might spread a thin layer of drywall mud over the poured plaster.

George
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, like most things in model railroading, there are several potential solutions. And while I haven't seen your specific situation, here are a couple that come to mind.

First, you could use a piece of plywood or hardboard to actually level the base of the quarry, then cover it with your favorite scenery materials and pour the water.

Or, if the degree of "out of level" is not too steep, you could go ahead and cover the base and walls of the quarry with scenery material and pour the water in thin layers, starting with the "deep end" and working up to the "shallow end."

I used the thin water and plaster method once to creat a dead flat riverbed and it did take forever to dry. One thing I learned on my previous layout using Envirotex as the water was the bed didn't have to be dead flat, only level. Since the bed was painted jet black to simulate deep water, the small lumps and bumps in the plaster were not visible.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Dennis, like most things in model railroading, there are several potential solutions. And while I haven't seen your specific situation, here are a couple that come to mind.

First, you could use a piece of plywood or hardboard to actually level the base of the quarry, then cover it with your favorite scenery materials and pour the water.

Or, if the degree of "out of level" is not too steep, you could go ahead and cover the base and walls of the quarry with scenery material and pour the water in thin layers, starting with the "deep end" and working up to the "shallow end."

I used the thin water and plaster method once to creat a dead flat riverbed and it did take forever to dry. One thing I learned on my previous layout using Envirotex as the water was the bed didn't have to be dead flat, only level. Since the bed was painted jet black to simulate deep water, the small lumps and bumps in the plaster were not visible.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, George and Steve. I'll explore your ideas further.

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

dsteele
Engine Wiper

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, George and Steve. I'll explore your ideas further.

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

terry hansley
Crew Chief

USA
600 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  9:11:35 PM  Show Profile

Dennis

Give a look at floor leveler at your Home Depot or Lowes. Even thinned to a very watery consistence it will harden and be very stable and it does it very quick.

Terry H
Go to Top of Page

terry hansley
Crew Chief

USA
600 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  9:11:35 PM  Show Profile

Dennis

Give a look at floor leveler at your Home Depot or Lowes. Even thinned to a very watery consistence it will harden and be very stable and it does it very quick.

Terry H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000