Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Walt and I have a very similar water heater and furnace near my work area. On the rare occasions that I do use it I open the main garage door and stand out in the opening -as far from the furnace/water heater as I can get.

I will also say that the main reason I do not use mine very often is the time it takes to takes to clean up. Solvent based paints clean up faster than acrylics (IMHO) I am sure others will disagree but that is my take on it. Over all I prefer to run solvent based paints through an airbrush and save the acrylics for a brush. This makes the ventilation issue even more important.

Regarding purchasing an airbrush via a garage sale...The earlier statement about age not being a factor is true. Old or new shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure the tip is not damaged. Adjust the needle all the way in and all the way out to make sure it does not bind. Also take a close look at the tip where the needle passes through and make sure it is not cracked around the needle. If an airbrush gets dropped just right (landing on the rear end) it can wedge the needle into the tip and crack the tip (Note, I am talking about the tiny tip inside the main tip that the point of the needle just pokes out of if you look closely inside the front of the brush - hope that makes sense). If the tip is cracked the brush will still work but it will spatter when you use it. Beside cracking the tip the needle may be bent also.

Another thing to check for is that the brush was cleaned. That is probably the number one thing folks do wrong with an air brush. If you find a good deal at a garage sale make sure it was put away clean.

Just a couple things to check for if you go garage sale shopping for an airbrush.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB
Go to Top of Page

postalkarl
Fireman

6922 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi:

Buy a good Pasche H or V airbrush and go to Sears or Home Depot and buy a pancake air compressor for around $200.00. Stay away from Hobby compressors unless you go High End. You'll probably wind up a little over $250.00 but it will be worth it in the end.

Karl S.
Go to Top of Page

postalkarl
Fireman

6922 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi:

Buy a good Pasche H or V airbrush and go to Sears or Home Depot and buy a pancake air compressor for around $200.00. Stay away from Hobby compressors unless you go High End. You'll probably wind up a little over $250.00 but it will be worth it in the end.

Karl S.
Go to Top of Page

hopyard
New Hire

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have to put my 2 cents in here as I have been buying and using airbrushes since I was 15 (a long time ago!). I got hooked the very first time I used one to paint a model car that I built. I now have over a dozen different makes and models of brushes and 3 different compressors that I use.

Rule number one when you start out is to keep it simple. That usually means a single action airbrush and a simple form of air. What worked for me for many years was to just get a Schrader valve tire adapter and run off the air in a spare car or truck tire. I'd run down to the gas station, fill the tire with 30-40 psi and run the brush with that. Later when I got a little $$, I bought a regulator and filled the tires to 60-80 psi. Plenty of air unless your doing a big job.

Those cheapie, less than $10, Garbage Freight brushes actually work fairly well and most include the tire adapter. Learn on that and if the prep/clean up issue doesn't bother you then move up to a better one. In fact, even the little bottles of air work ok if you know how to use them. The trick is to put them in big pot of warm water so the pressure stays constant and they don't freeze up.

My all time favorite? The Badger 150. A true work horse with spare parts readily available when needed.

gary
Go to Top of Page

hopyard
New Hire

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have to put my 2 cents in here as I have been buying and using airbrushes since I was 15 (a long time ago!). I got hooked the very first time I used one to paint a model car that I built. I now have over a dozen different makes and models of brushes and 3 different compressors that I use.

Rule number one when you start out is to keep it simple. That usually means a single action airbrush and a simple form of air. What worked for me for many years was to just get a Schrader valve tire adapter and run off the air in a spare car or truck tire. I'd run down to the gas station, fill the tire with 30-40 psi and run the brush with that. Later when I got a little $$, I bought a regulator and filled the tires to 60-80 psi. Plenty of air unless your doing a big job.

Those cheapie, less than $10, Garbage Freight brushes actually work fairly well and most include the tire adapter. Learn on that and if the prep/clean up issue doesn't bother you then move up to a better one. In fact, even the little bottles of air work ok if you know how to use them. The trick is to put them in big pot of warm water so the pressure stays constant and they don't freeze up.

My all time favorite? The Badger 150. A true work horse with spare parts readily available when needed.

gary
Go to Top of Page

teejay
Fireman

Canada
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Karl's point about the hobby compressor is a good one . Several years ago I bought a Badger Hobby style compressor . It was cheaper ( at that time ) than a standard sized version , but really not worth the money in the long run . It runs 40psi with no adjustments on it , so just barely gets the job done . You learn by experience , so if I could do it again , I would avoid the hobby compressor .

Terry
Go to Top of Page

teejay
Fireman

Canada
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Karl's point about the hobby compressor is a good one . Several years ago I bought a Badger Hobby style compressor . It was cheaper ( at that time ) than a standard sized version , but really not worth the money in the long run . It runs 40psi with no adjustments on it , so just barely gets the job done . You learn by experience , so if I could do it again , I would avoid the hobby compressor .

Terry
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4630 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago I bought a compressor/tank with regulator and water filter at Schucks, an auto parts store, for $100. It is small enough, and quiet enough, to use in the house.

Of course, it just sits there because I, like others before in this thread, really dislike the clean up after using an airbrush.

But, I will admit that, after reading of others airburshing craft paints here on the Forum, I am probably going to fire it up and try that method. I've even got a gallon of window washing fluid standing by...think that will be enough?
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4630 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago I bought a compressor/tank with regulator and water filter at Schucks, an auto parts store, for $100. It is small enough, and quiet enough, to use in the house.

Of course, it just sits there because I, like others before in this thread, really dislike the clean up after using an airbrush.

But, I will admit that, after reading of others airburshing craft paints here on the Forum, I am probably going to fire it up and try that method. I've even got a gallon of window washing fluid standing by...think that will be enough?
Go to Top of Page

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Try this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1500

Rob

Obedience Is Victory. Victory Is Life. Today Is A Good Day To Die.
Go to Top of Page

GearDrivenSteam
Section Hand

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Try this:

Rob

Obedience Is Victory. Victory Is Life. Today Is A Good Day To Die.
Go to Top of Page

jeffjan2001
Engine Wiper

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeffjan2001's Homepage  Send jeffjan2001 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by GearDrivenSteam

Try this:

Thanks for the look-up i hadn't gotten around to it...

Jeff
Spitton, Bailey & Wyre RR
"We'll get you there even if we have to get out and push!"
http://www.trainweb.org/sbwrr
Loosely Based on the Camas Prairie RR in Northern ID
Go to Top of Page

jeffjan2001
Engine Wiper

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeffjan2001's Homepage  Send jeffjan2001 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by GearDrivenSteam

Try this:

Thanks for the look-up i hadn't gotten around to it...

Jeff
Spitton, Bailey & Wyre RR
"We'll get you there even if we have to get out and push!"
http://www.trainweb.org/sbwrr
Loosely Based on the Camas Prairie RR in Northern ID
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I use an old Binks Wren airbrush that I've had for longer than I can remember. Works fine for me. And I have a Craftsman compressor with regulator and water filter. Also works fine. Cleanup is always a hassle, so I usually group projects together so I can just switch paint jars after running acetone through the bruch after each color. Then when I'm done, I take the bruch apart and give it a thorough cleaning. Just my two bits worth.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I use an old Binks Wren airbrush that I've had for longer than I can remember. Works fine for me. And I have a Craftsman compressor with regulator and water filter. Also works fine. Cleanup is always a hassle, so I usually group projects together so I can just switch paint jars after running acetone through the bruch after each color. Then when I'm done, I take the bruch apart and give it a thorough cleaning. Just my two bits worth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000