Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bob Mack
New Hire

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a airbrush kit and compressor. Don't really wanna spend over $250. Need some advice on what the best setup you can buy in that price range or cheaper. And where to buy online. Thanks!

RodH
Engine Wiper

Australia
340 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  04:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mack

I'm looking for a airbrush kit and compressor. Don't really wanna spend over $250. Need some advice on what the best setup you can buy in that price range or cheaper. And where to buy online. Thanks!

Bob, Try Dixieart in New Orleans. http://www.dixieart.com/ They have the cheapest and best range. I imported a Badger into Australia for half Aussie price.

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia
Go to Top of Page

RodH
Engine Wiper

Australia
340 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  04:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit RodH's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mack

Bob, Try Dixieart in New Orleans. http://www.dixieart.com/ They have the cheapest and best range. I imported a Badger into Australia for half Aussie price.

Rod Hutchinson
Growing Old Disgracefully
Australia
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
G'Mornin', Bob...

Airbrushes are like cars...'I like Chevys'...'I always buy Fords', etc. etc. Badger makes popular airbrushes, Paasche makes professional grade airbrushes...you may want to do some internet looking first. Personally, I have three Paasche airbrushes: two are the same model, the third is the next model up, but I really don't use it. The one that I think is a good all-around Paasche for our purposes is the model 'H' brush. These come with three different tip sizes, a connecting hose, little cups for paint, and some small glass jars. A kit like this would cost under 100.00 new. My one H brush I've had for years, but I bought a nearly new H brush on eBay as a backup for 50.00. I have a small tabletop compressor that I've had for years, but it's either running or it's not. There's no holding tank for the air and the pressure isn't consistent. Because I work in the basement, I finally bought a small tank compressor from Sears Craftsman for about 150.00. It has an air/water seperator, auto on/off, pressure regulator, and it drives the airbrush just fine at 10-20lbs. I'm sure other members can add to this discussion, too.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
G'Mornin', Bob...

Airbrushes are like cars...'I like Chevys'...'I always buy Fords', etc. etc. Badger makes popular airbrushes, Paasche makes professional grade airbrushes...you may want to do some internet looking first. Personally, I have three Paasche airbrushes: two are the same model, the third is the next model up, but I really don't use it. The one that I think is a good all-around Paasche for our purposes is the model 'H' brush. These come with three different tip sizes, a connecting hose, little cups for paint, and some small glass jars. A kit like this would cost under 100.00 new. My one H brush I've had for years, but I bought a nearly new H brush on eBay as a backup for 50.00. I have a small tabletop compressor that I've had for years, but it's either running or it's not. There's no holding tank for the air and the pressure isn't consistent. Because I work in the basement, I finally bought a small tank compressor from Sears Craftsman for about 150.00. It has an air/water seperator, auto on/off, pressure regulator, and it drives the airbrush just fine at 10-20lbs. I'm sure other members can add to this discussion, too.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Russ on what a guy might want in the airbrush itself. I have the H model and find it does for me. The idea for the compressor is also dependant on your situation. To me the best buy is one from a home center, etc. built for regular handy man type work. They are often available in my area for $100-150. They are built to last for everyday use so should last nearly forever for hobby use. That's asuming you don't spend more than eight hours modeling daily. LOL Some of the small hobby size have advantages if noise is a problem or storing a bit larger can be hard in an apartment or such. I did find I needed a tank to get the consistent pressure so that I could tell what I was doing wrong without factoring in the faulty air pressure. I have far less trouble with clogs with a big air compressor. How about looking for a used tank type? They can be had for much less money ($30-75) that should last a long time for hobby use. Just throw it under the table when friends come over and want to look at the THING. Good hunting.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Russ on what a guy might want in the airbrush itself. I have the H model and find it does for me. The idea for the compressor is also dependant on your situation. To me the best buy is one from a home center, etc. built for regular handy man type work. They are often available in my area for $100-150. They are built to last for everyday use so should last nearly forever for hobby use. That's asuming you don't spend more than eight hours modeling daily. LOL Some of the small hobby size have advantages if noise is a problem or storing a bit larger can be hard in an apartment or such. I did find I needed a tank to get the consistent pressure so that I could tell what I was doing wrong without factoring in the faulty air pressure. I have far less trouble with clogs with a big air compressor. How about looking for a used tank type? They can be had for much less money ($30-75) that should last a long time for hobby use. Just throw it under the table when friends come over and want to look at the THING. Good hunting.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7845 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Bob, check around and find the setup you think will do you what you want. Then check on eBay to see if you can get a good price which is not always true, but works a lot.

I have two of them here and have never used them as I really don't want to get into the cleaning hassle. I don't have a basement, only a garage to work in. The problem is there is both a gas furnace and a gas hot water heater in a closet in that very same garage. I don't want to take the chance on making it to the International Space Station without going through NASA.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7845 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Bob, check around and find the setup you think will do you what you want. Then check on eBay to see if you can get a good price which is not always true, but works a lot.

I have two of them here and have never used them as I really don't want to get into the cleaning hassle. I don't have a basement, only a garage to work in. The problem is there is both a gas furnace and a gas hot water heater in a closet in that very same garage. I don't want to take the chance on making it to the International Space Station without going through NASA.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Walt has brought up a good point that should be mentioned any time a guy is thinking about airbrushing. Godd ventilation is needed. When you are spraying any of the volatile stuff it is crucial. Even if you don't blow up, you don't want to breathe it either. Most of us can't stand the loss of brain cells. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

MP Rich
Fireman

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  9:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Walt has brought up a good point that should be mentioned any time a guy is thinking about airbrushing. Godd ventilation is needed. When you are spraying any of the volatile stuff it is crucial. Even if you don't blow up, you don't want to breathe it either. Most of us can't stand the loss of brain cells. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

jeffjan2001
Engine Wiper

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeffjan2001's Homepage  Send jeffjan2001 a Yahoo! Message
i found an airbush at harbour freight for $20 that works fine for me. it is a no-name, but would let you get into airbrushing for a few bucks, to see if you are going to "get along" with it... :)
as for a compressor... anything with a tank to start. the driers and filters can be added later...
Just my two cents worth

Jeff
Spitton, Bailey & Wyre RR
"We'll get you there even if we have to get out and push!"
http://www.trainweb.org/sbwrr
Loosely Based on the Camas Prairie RR in Northern ID
Go to Top of Page

jeffjan2001
Engine Wiper

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeffjan2001's Homepage  Send jeffjan2001 a Yahoo! Message
i found an airbush at harbour freight for $20 that works fine for me. it is a no-name, but would let you get into airbrushing for a few bucks, to see if you are going to "get along" with it... :)
as for a compressor... anything with a tank to start. the driers and filters can be added later...
Just my two cents worth

Jeff
Spitton, Bailey & Wyre RR
"We'll get you there even if we have to get out and push!"
http://www.trainweb.org/sbwrr
Loosely Based on the Camas Prairie RR in Northern ID
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  04:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage
I agree with Walt, I have a single-action and a double-action but don''t use either because of the clean-up hassle. If you look at e-bay, do your homework first. You might get caught up in a bidding frenzy and pay more for the brush than it's worth. I've seen a couple at garage sales that looked pretty nice. Just because it's old doesn't affect it much

John
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  04:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage
I agree with Walt, I have a single-action and a double-action but don''t use either because of the clean-up hassle. If you look at e-bay, do your homework first. You might get caught up in a bidding frenzy and pay more for the brush than it's worth. I've seen a couple at garage sales that looked pretty nice. Just because it's old doesn't affect it much

John
Go to Top of Page

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

USA
865 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Walt and I have a very similar water heater and furnace near my work area. On the rare occasions that I do use it I open the main garage door and stand out in the opening -as far from the furnace/water heater as I can get.

I will also say that the main reason I do not use mine very often is the time it takes to takes to clean up. Solvent based paints clean up faster than acrylics (IMHO) I am sure others will disagree but that is my take on it. Over all I prefer to run solvent based paints through an airbrush and save the acrylics for a brush. This makes the ventilation issue even more important.

Regarding purchasing an airbrush via a garage sale...The earlier statement about age not being a factor is true. Old or new shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure the tip is not damaged. Adjust the needle all the way in and all the way out to make sure it does not bind. Also take a close look at the tip where the needle passes through and make sure it is not cracked around the needle. If an airbrush gets dropped just right (landing on the rear end) it can wedge the needle into the tip and crack the tip (Note, I am talking about the tiny tip inside the main tip that the point of the needle just pokes out of if you look closely inside the front of the brush - hope that makes sense). If the tip is cracked the brush will still work but it will spatter when you use it. Beside cracking the tip the needle may be bent also.

Another thing to check for is that the brush was cleaned. That is probably the number one thing folks do wrong with an air brush. If you find a good deal at a garage sale make sure it was put away clean.

Just a couple things to check for if you go garage sale shopping for an airbrush.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000