Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Cy Mining Company

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Larryc Posted - 11/21/2019 : 4:02:36 PM
Now that I've retired from work, I've had a chance to start a new layout which is far enough along to share some photos with all of you.

The layout is "The Cy Mining Company" which is set in the late 1950's in the eastern U.S. They mine Black Ferrite which is shipped to the outside world via rail. This time I wanted to challenge myself with the build so I made a two level layout with an elevated track and a dryed-up creek bed. The layout is 34 in. by 14 in. with a 12 in. fiddle track on one end. The materials for the build consists of a 1x3 frame with half inch pink foam on top; this makes for a light weight layout.

So without any more chatter here are some pics of The Cy Mining Co.:

The basic ground scenery is down and some detail work done. This is the mine area and the export track below. I'm not sure if I like the effect of the lower track with the portal or not (it's not glued down yet). Any suggestions on how to improve this would help. Since the backdrop is green and hilly, I'm trying to make the scenery match so that the transition is seamless.

Here's another shot of the mine area. I wanted the track on the lower level to look like it disappears into the portal.

That's about it for now. I'll post more pics shortly. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/16/2020 : 08:40:47 AM
Nice touches!
George D Posted - 04/14/2020 : 5:20:40 PM
Nice details, Larry.

George
Larryc Posted - 04/14/2020 : 4:56:05 PM
Thanks guys for your comments and for following along. I've added a couple more things to the cameo scene:

Added the well hand pump to the "break area" so the workers can get a cold drink of water. It's a white metal casting which had to be filed to eliminate the mold flashing. It was painted red and a coat of rust over that to tone it down some. The pump was mounted on a wood platform which was painted and weathered.

The corner was begging for a junk pile. Glued down some medium tall grass and placed the rusted junk in the grass. Although, the grass really doesn't show up in the picture; it's there.

Herb is still enjoying the break area and the cool water. The junk is much more visible in this shot.
Anyway that's it for now and thanks for looking.
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/13/2020 : 7:38:38 PM
You bring new meaning to the words benchwork.

They look comfortable enough. Good job.

Mike

Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/13/2020 : 3:58:35 PM
Very nice!
Larryc Posted - 04/13/2020 : 11:31:07 AM
Michael and Tyson thanks for your kind words. I've started a little " cameo scene" on the mine side of the Barn:

These are some bench kits that I had. They were a little tricky to put together but the wood fit tight enough so that I didn't have to worry about gluing them. The metal ends were given a coat of "gun metal" color; but it actually looked more black when dried.

I decided to give the black ends a light coat of rust to tone down the color but yet not too much as to look "unsafe" to sit on.The wooden seat was painted with a light wash and weathered.

Herb saw the benches and decided to try one out to rest his "old bones". There are a few more things that I'm going to add to this scene shortly.
Thanks for looking and as always any comments/suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/12/2020 : 08:49:35 AM
Nice work, as Michael said great weathering job!
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/11/2020 : 7:29:00 PM
The wheelbarrow looks like it was fun to build. Both it and the boxes have a nice realistically worn appearance.
Larryc Posted - 04/11/2020 : 2:44:43 PM
Been working on a couple of detailing projects for the layout so I thought that I would post an update:

Built a couple of crates to hold the ferrite ore and placed a piece of foam in the bottom of each box with a piece of card glued on top. I'm going to use peppercorns to simulate the ferrite; so with the foam and card then I won't have to use so much of the peppercorns to achieve the desired effect of a full crate.

Here are the crates painted a dark brown with the wood "worn" by sanding the crate after the paint had dried. I didn't want new looking crates. I still have to make and install the lift rings on each end of the crate. So now I'll add the load after my next trip to the grocery store.

Also I built a wheelbarrow from a kit that I received some time ago:

Here the metal frame was glued together with 5 minute epoxy and the wood boards laid on top.

The wheelbarrow was given a coat of rust color and the wood was painted dark brown and then sanded to give a worn look. The wood slats were glued together with a piece of card underneath to make gluing it to the metal frame easier.

Here is another view of the finished product. The wood by the wheel was to keep it straight until the glue drys. Now I have a wheelbarrow that looks like it's been around for a long time with plenty of use.
That's it for now and as usual any comments/suggestion are welcome. More to come.
Larryc Posted - 03/12/2020 : 3:07:11 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. The posters are a "throw back" from when I was a kid. My dad would go to this mechanics garage and there was always either a calendar or a poster of a young lady over the workbench. So I decided to add this particular detail to the shed. The crate parts are bic lighter parts with rust added. Makes for some nice cheap junk. Thanks for looking. More to come.
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/12/2020 : 2:22:00 PM
Very nice, Larry! The pinups are fine but I really like the box full of metal parts.

Mike
desertdrover Posted - 03/12/2020 : 2:05:33 PM
Nice details Larry, and those posters being that shed to life, making it a nice place to work.
Philip Posted - 03/12/2020 : 11:09:17 AM
[:-thumbu]
Tyson Rayles Posted - 03/12/2020 : 07:58:13 AM
Very nice, love the pin-ups!
Larryc Posted - 03/11/2020 : 3:40:05 PM
Decided to take a day off from the re-model and spend some time at the bench. I managed to get a couple of my barrels painted and added some decals:

I've started detailing the repair shed by making a crate out of bass wood which was painted and weathered. Then it was filled with junk to go under the bench. I still have to paint the tools and place them on the bench down the road. Added a couple of posters on the back wall which were downloaded from this site and drastically reduced in size. Something for the mechanic to look at:

That's about it for now; so It's back to work tomorrow. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated and thanks for looking.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000