Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Not finished yet

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Craig H Posted - 11/18/2019 : 1:22:02 PM
What kind of carpet to buy for basement? I know not to buy real nice thick carpet. And I do want some kind of padding? I know I thought I would be done with the basement buy now[:-banghead] Just put down some Dricore subfloor panels the last few days almost done with that next is to pickout some tile to put down buy the walkout door and then carpet. I'm shooting to start building my shadow box layout in a couple months. [:-censored]

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Craig H Posted - 01/12/2020 : 5:00:07 PM
Rich, I can play all my Logging DVD's I have and other Railroad DVD's for Motivation .... one of my favorites is the On3 Hangman Creek Lumber company. [:-spin]
Pennman Posted - 01/12/2020 : 2:34:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

Update.. Going to have 2 Flat screen TV's hanging on my walls on both sides of the Basement with surround sound.[:-thumbu]

Craig,

Sounds to me you won't be able to get much modeling done, watching TV !! [:-bigeyes]
Your best bet is to have a large monitor with the Railroad Line forums viewable so you can put models together.

Rich
Craig H Posted - 01/12/2020 : 2:22:38 PM
Update.. Well carpet is being installed next week wed. Been doing Research on installing Thin Brick on one long wall[:-splat] I really like the look of weathered Brick... Going to have 2 Flat screen TV's hanging on my walls on both sides of the Basement with surround sound.[:-thumbu]
rlundy Posted - 12/11/2019 : 7:19:38 PM
I would use laminate and sponge pads. As some have said, it is easy to lose small parts in the pile. Foam is much easier on the feet than carpet and much cheaper. The main thing for me is all the lint that comes off of carpet. The dirt goes right through the carpet and sits on the floor. Every time you walk on the carpet it disturbs the dirt as well as breaking down the carpet. I removed all the carpet from my house and just have a few throw rugs here and there, where we sit or stand all the time. Couldn't believe the difference in the amount of dust in the house.
Craig H Posted - 12/08/2019 : 8:33:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback Jerry, Relax ...I'm going to make it as nice as my upstairs Larry, I'm going to check out the cost of carpet tiles and that type of flooring caught my eye at Home Depot. Kris, Yes good padding is worth the price if I do all carpet I have my modeling DESK upstairs in the spare bedroom no problem finding parts if I drop them[:-thumbu]
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/08/2019 : 3:42:48 PM
Iíve done that thing of dropping my soldering iron; it left a little melted spot on the carpet. Daveís comment shows that no matter what the floor covering, donít drop your soldering iron.

The only other noticeable marr is where one of our sonís high school friends spilled a coke when the carpet was new in 2002. That shows that accidents occur in everyday life no matter what the use of the room.

We had vinyl floor covering in our kitchen and old train room which developed little cuts, I think from dropping kitchen knives and utility knives. I donít think we are particularly clumsy. Floor covering is just not permanent.

I do find that I take more care with flooring the better it is and the more I like it.

A comfortable train room is also inviting. I have a few chairs and rockers and find that visitors tend to stand around or sit and some great model railroading conversations take place. Thatís one of my favorite parts of our hobby.

I hope you find better prices on carpeting.

Mike
deemery Posted - 12/08/2019 : 1:15:53 PM
I used plank flooring in my train room/basement, and have been -very happy- with it so far. I also have some cheap area rugs to break up the space. The plank has proven to be pretty impervious to most accidents, including when I spilled some MEK on it. But dropping a hot soldering iron did make a small burn mark. :-(

Underneath the actual workbench I have one of those clear plastic 'chair runner' pads from an office store. That helps protect the area where the worst spills are likely to happen.

dave
hon3_rr Posted - 12/08/2019 : 1:08:39 PM
I would have been 4th generation furniture business if I would have followed family expectations. I would suggest the vinyl plank flooring with the addition of high quality, larger area rugs. This arrangement would allow for the area around the work bench to be a solid surface which would make it easier to find lost parts and address spills. You could then have the carpet for the rest of the room. You can obtain rug-stop material to help hold, and provide padding, under then area rug.

If your set in having carpet, I would suggest then use of area rugs. Use a smaller area rug around the work bench and a larger rug for the main floor. This smaller workbench rug can then be replaced if needed.

IF you are set in having the room on carpet, then *** DO NOT *** skimp on the padding. Avoid large loop, berber and deep plush carpet. Textured carpet might work, dependent on texture and color. Plan of having some sort of small area rug or office chair mat at your work area. I would also strongly encourage you to invest in multiple larger sized Heavy Duty Canvas Drop Cloths (Heavy Weight 12 ounce). I would suggest placing two cloths down under and around your benchwork area prior to starting construction. Roll-up the drop cloths when not in use, to the benchwork feet. Once most of your scenery is in place and the benchwork is completed, cut the cloths very close to the benchwork legs. By using two cloths, you can remove the top cloth if needed for large spills or when it becomes truly soiled/worn. The main headache will be the need to vacuum the over time. Probably two people will be required, one to stand and hold the cloth tight as you vacuum. By lifting and rolling the cloth towards the benchwork, you will be able to move most of the dirt,etc into a smaller area making cleaning easier. I know, sounds horrid, but is only a temporary solution to protect a major investment with the drop cloths. I would also suggest the use of a higher stain resistant carpet from only well known mills like Karastan (Mohawk).
BigLars Posted - 12/08/2019 : 12:00:27 PM
I agree on carpet tiles, if a square is damaged you can pull it up and replace. http://usacarpetandmattress.com/carpettile.html I have them in my train room (got them for free surplus from an office build out).

I also installed vinyl plank flooring at the beach and it is very nice. It is simple to install. basically score and snap like we do with sheet styrene. You can find it locally. Here is a link yo the rental pics to see the flooring. https://www.atlanticresortgroup.com/myrtle-beach-vacation-rentals/ocean-view-lands-end-5018
TRAINS1941 Posted - 12/08/2019 : 11:58:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

Well got 2 people to come out and give me a price for carpet install all I can say is Carpet must have GOLD in it[:-banghead] for 1,080 square foot of carpet one was for 4,000 thousand the other was 3,500. Still looking[:-censored]

Where did you find the thieves??? Unless your wanting carpet that belongs in your living room!!
For God's sake its a basement no matter what you do its still a basement.
Rusty Stumps Posted - 12/08/2019 : 11:31:49 AM
I agree with Dave. Carpet is a problem in a modeling area. Stains easy and is hard to keep clean. A good vinyl flooring is best and easiest to clean. You can always put a few trow pads down or indoor/outdoor trow rugs as well. Easy to pick up and take out side to shake off.
Craig H Posted - 12/08/2019 : 11:00:20 AM
Well got 2 people to come out and give me a price for carpet install all I can say is Carpet must have GOLD in it[:-banghead] for 1,080 square foot of carpet one was for 4,000 thousand the other was 3,500. Still looking[:-censored]
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/20/2019 : 10:42:13 PM
Makes sense to me. And if Iím doing a messy job such as scenery I put down paper or something to catch any mess. Seems like thatís the best thing to do with almost any floor. If I drop a part I know I will find it a few months later when Iím looking for another part Iíve dropped.

I like your approach to hobby spaces. My railroad shares space with some of my other interests like listening to and playing country blues guitar, or just sitting staring into space, doing not much of anything. A cold hard floor and ugly wall might give me the blues, but arenít conducive to enjoying the blues.

Mike
Craig H Posted - 11/20/2019 : 10:18:40 PM
What I don't want in my basement is a cold dingy dark room for my layout[:-censored] I'm into collecting antique neon clocks and old pressed steel toys and gas station smalls which will be displayed in a couple modern tall showcase's and shelves on the walls I want to SEE and ENJOY my Stuff the layout will have to live in among all my other Hobbies.
Rail and Tie Posted - 11/20/2019 : 10:13:56 PM
I have Commercial carpet tiles in the train room/office. Great stuff easy to put down and to pull up and replace if any get stained / worn. Very rugged and easily cleanable and they are just thick enough to add a bit of warmth and padding, but solid enough to not be spongy for benchwork. I also like it for parts retention as they don't bounce everywhere like in my old office with tile floors.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000