Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kebmo Posted - 10/27/2019 : 2:02:26 PM
i decided i would attempt to scratchbuild an o scale version of the idaho hotel.
i put together a mockup of it to get a sense of the size. it's big. 17 1/2" by 7 7/16".

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kebmo1 Posted - 08/24/2020 : 05:47:43 AM
jim,
i don't think i understand your question. what are you referring to when you say roof overhang?
BurleyJim Posted - 08/23/2020 : 9:19:36 PM
Kevin,

Does the roof overhang need to come out as far as it does? Could you shorten that distance, and modify the front wall of the balcony to come out to match a shorter overhang from the wall?

Jim
Bill Gill Posted - 08/23/2020 : 9:05:20 PM
Removing the top piece of pink foam will give the guests more room to sit on the lawn and watch the boats paddle about and reducing
the steepness of th banks will give the river a gentler feel if you're looking for a resort setting. Mike's thought on making the path to the dock less steep is good.
If you do try widening the inlet and don't like how that turns out it's easy enough to build it back up.
kebmo1 Posted - 08/23/2020 : 9:01:15 PM
i glued two of the 1/4" foam panels to the 2" foam base and weighted them down using 10 bricks and a 9 lb iron. i decided to start on the balcony roof. i started with some framework.

i carefully cut the little wedge of siding for the right end of the balcony roof, sided it and glued the frame boards to it:

here it is in place.

my original plan was to butt this against the shingled roof panel, but when i tried that fit it held the balconey roof out too far away from the building. what i think i'm going to need to do is, cut the roof panel around the balcony roof framing so i can glue the framing directly to the front wall plate and the gable (for the wedge of siding). if any of you guys has a better idea, please by all means, speak up.
kebmo1 Posted - 08/23/2020 : 7:56:14 PM
thanks frank. i've been thinking about getting rid of that layer of foam. now i'm convinced. i'm not sure i have the room to change the little inlet though. i'll kick it around for a day or so..
Frank Palmer Posted - 08/23/2020 : 11:05:57 AM
IMHO the building looks cramped on the small island. I would remove it to give the building some visual freedom. And I would make the "U" inlet a bit less "U" shaped.

These comments are in no way representative of the "Line" or its affiliates. Nice doggie.
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/23/2020 : 10:17:53 AM
I donít think itís too high, but youíre going to need a gentler path down to the level of the boat dock.
kebmo1 Posted - 08/23/2020 : 09:33:17 AM
mike and mike: thanks
carl: thanks.
from river bottom to top of the banks is 4 feet. you fellas don't think it's too high?
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/23/2020 : 09:12:46 AM
The way they look roughed-in, I see lots of potential for scenery. It looks like a old fashioned resort.

Mike
Carl B Posted - 08/23/2020 : 08:17:37 AM
I like your landforms just as they are Kevin.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 08/23/2020 : 08:09:41 AM
[:-thumbu]
kebmo1 Posted - 08/22/2020 : 9:21:11 PM
i've been waiting for a light order because i decided i wanted to add a couple more lights to the structure before putting the roof panels on and buttoning it up. the order came and they were all wrong (my fault) so I returned them and the right ones will be here monday. i decided to start working on the landforms. there's a section of the river in front of norton's, and a little inlet with a pier. i would appreciate any suggestions that may improve it before i start gluing it down and painting it.
thoughts? ideas?

kebmo1 Posted - 07/17/2020 : 10:44:04 PM
thank jerry and mike. i really do appreciate it. i got the gooseneck lamp over the back door hooked up tonight. it was a little tricky because before i figured out a good way to strip the wires without cuttin through them (very thin gauge wire), i ended up chopping the leads on the recitfier too short, so today i soldered new wires to it and got it working. i really like these light alot.
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/17/2020 : 8:45:37 PM
Kevin,

The lights really enhance your fine work.

Mike
TRAINS1941 Posted - 07/17/2020 : 8:09:34 PM
Kevin this is really turning into a outstanding build. Gets better with every post!!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000