Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kebmo Posted - 10/27/2019 : 2:02:26 PM
i decided i would attempt to scratchbuild an o scale version of the idaho hotel.
i put together a mockup of it to get a sense of the size. it's big. 17 1/2" by 7 7/16".

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kebmo1 Posted - 04/06/2020 : 5:18:22 PM
holy crap did you generate some flashbacks....
olongapo....whoa.

magsaysay boulevard. sh*t river. bonka boats, monkey meat, and everyone's favorite: whatever that drink was they made pitchers of with vodka, rum and about 5 different fruit juices. 10 points to whoever can name it.
i've google earthed olongapo recently and it is nothing like it was.
BurleyJim Posted - 04/06/2020 : 3:07:29 PM
Wow, I wish I had mine, I got you by just over 10 years. July 4th, 1966, we hoisted the Jolly Roger, and the foreign freighter that was watching a 65,000 ton aircraft carrier scooted over the horizon. Arrgh! Kiss the Royal Baby! , and get wacked with multiple pieces of firehose. The stylish prisoner haircuts were the best! The folks in Olongapo went scooting like that freighter! Excellent find Kevin.

Jim[:-pirate]
kebmo1 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 3:48:38 PM
check out what i found cleaning my garage.

yep. that's right. i'm a golden shellback. i haven't seen this thing in 44 yrs. i ordered a frame for it today.
kebmo1 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 2:18:54 PM
tom,
the ultimation sander is clamped to my bench, and i use it all the time. i love it.
tloc Posted - 04/05/2020 : 2:00:37 PM
Kevin, just wow. Working with wood intimidates me but I see patience and a good drawing really help. After using the Ultimate Sander for a while now, what are your thoughts on it? First visit to this thread but I will check I often till completion.

TomO
kebmo1 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 12:08:01 PM
thanks bruce.
kebmo1 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 12:07:10 PM
frank,
i did lower the gable. the drawings i have show a much steeper pitch to the gable, and the few available photos belie that.
see the pic with the 18" straightedge spanning from n-s ridge to top of gable on the veranda wall. the difference in height is nominal.
Dutchman Posted - 04/05/2020 : 11:46:24 AM
The veranda came out good, Kevin. Looking forward to seeing the roof
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/05/2020 : 10:48:05 AM
Kevin, I hate to say this - BUT - I think the look of the finished building would have been better if you lowered the gable section to the plan height. After you add the roof on the right side you're going to have a height difference with the long roof vs. the gable roof.
kebmo1 Posted - 04/04/2020 : 4:28:00 PM
thank you jerry, you're a scholar and a gentleman!

i have friend that runs a cheese packaging plant, and they get their cheese in thin, round pine boxes with thin round sheets of cedar top and bottom. he's going to start saving them for me so i can cut into strips and make shake shingles. my only concern is how well they will accept coloring.
i found a small strip this morning and cut it up into little pieces. gave them a shot of silverwood stain (still looked too blonde), black a/i, (blonde with black blotches), burnt umber chalk/alcohol (getting a little better but still too blonde), and mediu m gray chalk/alcohol and i'm waiting for that to dry. so far i'm not crazy about the way it's taking color. any suggestions? i'm looking for an aged gray cedar color like my fence....
TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/04/2020 : 09:37:52 AM
Kevin just catching up again.

A beautiful job indeed!
kebmo1 Posted - 04/04/2020 : 07:12:41 AM

n-s subroofs cut
kebmo1 Posted - 04/03/2020 : 6:19:31 PM
yeah i know. i don't get down there everynight, and the structure is only half of the planned diorama. i shouldn't say planned yet, the imagined diorama. once i finish the building i'll scratch something out on paper. i initially hadn't planned on the back of the building being visible, but i've spent quite a bit of time siding it, so maybe i do want it visible.
i dunno yet. i've got water to figure out too, it's a fishing lodge after all, with boats. i was thinking it would be on a river, but probably a lake. (boats are small). i also imagine building piers/decks/stairs etc. i hope to pick your brain carl, cuz your dioramas are some of the best i've ever seen.
Carl B Posted - 04/03/2020 : 12:21:10 PM
Just think, you started this project last October, so you're into it about 6 months.

You can't stop now! Go Kevin.....[:-thumbu]
kebmo1 Posted - 04/03/2020 : 11:06:19 AM
ah, the $64,000.00 question.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000