Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
railman28 Posted - 07/09/2019 : 10:35:06 PM
I am building a layout here, I might seem that all I do is build Steam Engines but, their is a modest model railroad being built too.
Here is part one;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37052

This is the current track plan;

For the last two years I have been focused on build two detailed models of 1870's Moguls that are currently hard at work in 1886. The Girls works hard but are well maintained. I am using the wagon top Moguls of the Virginia and Truckee RR as my prototype drawing heavily from Engine number 4 and 13. In build these two engines I have been relying on 3D drawing and printing on a backbone of conventional model making techniques.

Let the fun continue...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/13/2020 : 09:05:16 AM
I did that with a set of cars I was building with styrene and ended up with cars with a hump in the center. I let out a humpback wail.

Mike
Bill Gill Posted - 02/13/2020 : 07:41:59 AM
Dave, I also use ACC to glue the ends of nylon truss rods to underframes, which have been plastic or white metal and haven't had any break lose.
I lightly sand the fishing line with fine grit paper except for the short stretch in the middle that will be visible in the center of th turnbuckles. I think the roughened line helps glue and paint adhere.
I don't pull the fishing line very tight after having the plastic frame warp on one flat car, just snug enough to stay straight. None have gotten slack.
railman28 Posted - 02/13/2020 : 12:58:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Smart way to do it.

Thank you Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/12/2020 : 11:13:08 PM
Smart way to do it.
railman28 Posted - 02/12/2020 : 7:46:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

How do you anchor the nylon truss rods?

dave

Dave, beneath the body bolster there is a frame stud. I just drilled a .020" hole (the nylon line is about 0.016")and secured it with ACC. I put the lines in before adding the needle beams. After "threading" the turnbuckles I threaded the lines through those holes centering the turnbuckles, added the ACC and pulled the line tight until the glue set. Once the glue sets I added the needle point beams and the line gets nice and tight.

Bob
deemery Posted - 02/12/2020 : 7:16:52 PM
How do you anchor the nylon truss rods?

dave
railman28 Posted - 02/12/2020 : 7:01:53 PM
Bernd, glad you stopped by and glad you enjoyed the visit. I appreciate that you find my humble effort encouraging.

I started some more flatcars. These are 30' Detroit Flats as used by the V&T. Kit #3114 by Rio Grande Models. I built them my way. That means I added all the detail parts before assembling the frame components and used Nylon fishing line for the trust rods instead of brass wire. I thought that I would share a picture of the naked frame with all their parts showing before I add the decks.

Bob
Bernd Posted - 02/11/2020 : 08:39:09 AM
Hey Bob,

I was out for a stroll and decided to stop by the workshop and see what's going on. Nice job on those flatcars. Interesting projects like your flatcars keeps me inspired to keep "tracking" along with my projects in hopes of getting to build some rolling stock, in brass maybe.

Bernd
railman28 Posted - 02/10/2020 : 7:25:47 PM
That's a good idea Ryan. we'll see. Håkan, Thank you very much. Yes it is so nice to be able to print my own.

Bob
masonamerican Posted - 02/10/2020 : 5:23:44 PM
Great looking flat cars Bob! Great addition with the new supports.
Its fantastic to have that production capability at home.

Håkan
RyanAK Posted - 02/03/2020 : 10:12:37 PM
Mixed trains. Spruce up one of CB&WVRR coaches as your own captive version of a Pullman. :)
railman28 Posted - 02/03/2020 : 10:06:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

"Crown Point Models", Bob?

dave

No Web page. contact here;
crownpointmodelengineering@gmail.com

Bob

deemery Posted - 02/03/2020 : 8:49:09 PM
"Crown Point Models", Bob?

dave
railman28 Posted - 02/03/2020 : 8:27:08 PM
Mike, Frank Thank you very much. Bruce, Thank you and yes it a good time to be a modeler. More on that in a bit.
Here are all four with their brake Wheels.

They will fit nicely with my 24' Kimbal flats.

I Think I want to build a pair of my Detroit 28' flats next.
Yes, it's a good time to be a modeler. When I started modeling the 1880's there was very little available. Almost everything had to be scratch built. For example for trucks we had to take a narrow gauge side frames and add our own fabricated beams. Today between BTS, Bitter Creek, Rio Grande Models and the independents like Crown Point Models we have an abundance of fine kits. When it comes to passenger kits there are a few holes to be filled but I have what I need. For sure, what I'm lacking I will be able to print.
With this abundance comes another problem. the need to keep to your vision. My original vision was for a "island"(that is one without a interchange to another railroad) railroad but with the availability of a Pullman car and these other new products I decided I need to interchange to justify Pullman service. So I added staging. Ryan's discussions in his treads have me wondering if I should go back to mixed train daily schedule.

Bob
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/03/2020 : 10:28:01 AM

Problem solved.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000