Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
railman28 Posted - 07/09/2019 : 10:35:06 PM
I am building a layout here, I might seem that all I do is build Steam Engines but, their is a modest model railroad being built too.
Here is part one;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37052

This is the current track plan;

For the last two years I have been focused on build two detailed models of 1870's Moguls that are currently hard at work in 1886. The Girls works hard but are well maintained. I am using the wagon top Moguls of the Virginia and Truckee RR as my prototype drawing heavily from Engine number 4 and 13. In build these two engines I have been relying on 3D drawing and printing on a backbone of conventional model making techniques.

Let the fun continue...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/05/2020 : 10:35:28 AM

Bob, I like the look.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 10:15:12 AM
I don't get up here often enough in these threads.

But a fine looking house Bob.
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/05/2020 : 08:59:25 AM
Thatís a pretty cool house, Bob. I like the way it telescopes.

Bill, what a foundation. Inspirational!
Bill Gill Posted - 04/05/2020 : 08:19:26 AM
Sort of what Bob described for the foundation.
railman28 Posted - 04/05/2020 : 02:33:47 AM
Thank you Mike, I appreciate it a lot.

I got the new pumps and crosshead yoke back from Shapeways today!

This one got a little banged up in shipment. It will straighten out fine. But, you can see it fits fine. It also lines up on the boiler correctly.

The House;
Here it is with all the walls assembled and attached together in their proper place.

So what's the jig most the house is sitting on? It's a temporary foundation. As the plans call for the third (unpainted) shed to sit on the ground I had to elevate the house so I could attach the shed to the house at it's proper location. I going to have to extend this cribbing to support the porch too. Why don't I just added the foundation? For two reasons. The kit supplies 1/8 x 3/32 wood for the foundation (for the previous house I built too) which would work in many setting but just not mine. I don't support the flat earth theory. Especially for my era when leveling the ground was minimal at best. They generally cleared it and started building.
The 2nd is that I like stone foundations. Owen's house will certainly get stone, This one might get stones too but because it's closer to water and the slough is a tidal basin should be on piles with most of the structure being above the storm/high tide medium. The piles would be skirted with board and bat sheeting. We'll see.
So this unnamed house just needs the porches and the roofs and everything that goes on top of them. But here's a view from the backside;

be safe please

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/03/2020 : 10:45:27 PM
Itís looking good Bob.
railman28 Posted - 04/03/2020 : 10:28:56 PM
Aye frank! Paneless they were but it's still curtains for the window.

A new progress shot;

Bob
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/03/2020 : 10:30:09 AM

The window modification seems to have been paneless.
railman28 Posted - 04/02/2020 : 7:23:58 PM
This Timberline's Kit has(d) a prototype that was still standing in some small Colorado town. While the House was built in the 19th century I think it updated in the 50's and I think that is the version that timberline modeled. One of the marks of a 19th century structure is generally smaller window panes. This is especially the case if the area was not served by a railroad or a wagon ride from a port. Yes, glass breaks and bigger panes breaks easier. In the kit as provided the front of the house has a large picture window and all three doors are 1/2 glass. Here's a picture of the drawing;

So anyway, the large panes of glass had to go. The door I just traded out with Tichy doors. For the large picture window I cobbled together two large Tichy Windows.

While I'm talking about Tichy castings (I also use Grandt Line) let me just mention that we are so blessed to have these suppliers. This Kit came with a dozen styrene casting. They have very nice detail but require a lot of clean-up. Grandt Line and Tichy have us spoiled.

Bob

railman28 Posted - 04/01/2020 : 6:37:30 PM
Mike, thanks a lot.

Frank, I just got to shake the Box a little more.
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/01/2020 : 09:02:42 AM

Bob, your building skills have diminished some. I think the virus is getting to you.
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/31/2020 : 11:20:53 PM
Bob

I like that store. Well done!

The house should prove to be another winner. Millerís Slough appears to be experiencing a population boom.

Mike

railman28 Posted - 03/31/2020 : 6:56:24 PM
Mike and Bruce, Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Frank, Sometimes I think those glasses might help!

As part of the 2020 Challenge I built Owen's Store;

The store has an Ad letting everybody know that they cane order from Montgomery Ward and have it shipped to the Store.

Here's a close-up;

Next will be another vintage Timberline kit. Their #155 Daryl's house. It's another small house but it has two additions on the rear that make an interesting long rambling structure.

Here's some pictures;

This is kinda how it goes together;

Timberline provided 1/16"sq.timbers for bracing, I added some 1/8"sq.. Here're some sample walls;

Be safe out there please,

Bob
Dutchman Posted - 03/25/2020 : 08:21:34 AM
That is a great looking house, Bob.
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/24/2020 : 8:09:02 PM

Bob, that's some pretty amazing work you're doing in 3D. Do you need those crazy red & blue glasses to work on it?

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000