Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Hamlin Wizard Oil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guff Posted - 07/05/2019 : 4:25:59 PM
It’s good to be back…… The last 12 months were consumed with selling our old home, building a new house, packing, moving and all of the other work that comes from downsizing. Now it’s time to get back to one of the things I enjoy, making scale buildings for the Hard Times Ry.

My new build is a fictitious manufacturing complex based on a real product from the early 20th century...Hamlin Wizard Oil - 1859 - 1920.
The build will show signs of ageing but reasonably maintained since HWO is still operating in Hard Times Ry. Country well into the thirties, ignoring the FDA warning of false healing statements and the 1920 out of business date.

A short story of Hamlin Wizard Oil borrowed from the web!

Hamlin Wizard Oil was first produced in 1861 in Chicago by former magician John Austen Hamlin and his brother Lysander Butler Hamlin, it was primarily sold and used as a liniment for rheumatic pain and sore muscles, but was advertised as a treatment for pneumonia, cancer, diphtheria, earache, toothache, headache and hydrophobia. It was made of 50%-70% alcohol containing camphor, ammonia, chloroform, sassafras, cloves, and turpentine, and was said to be usable both internally and topically.

Traveling performance troupes advertised the product in medicine shows across the Midwest, with runs as long as six weeks in a town. They used horse-drawn wagons and dressed in silk top hats, frock coats, pinstriped trousers, and patent leather shoes—with spats.

Grinnell College research points out that the Hamlins claimed efficacy for Wizard Oil on not only human beings but also horses and cattle, one poster displaying an elephant drinking the stuff by lifting the bottle with the trunk. Bottles came in 35˘ and 75˘ sizes.

Carl Sandburg inserted two versions of lyrics titled "Wizard Oil" together with a tune into his American Songbag (1927).

In 1916, Lysander's son Lawrence B. Hamlin of Elgin, by then manager of the firm, was fined $200 under the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act for advertising that Hamlin's Wizard Oil could "check the growth and permanently kill cancer."

Sketch of the proposed 1:29 scale build :

Main building - 24’ x 45’ Office - 16’ x 15’ Warehouse Annex - 18’ x 31’

Construction is basically the same as most of my other builds using foam board and painted paper siding so I will only highlight a few techniques.

I wanted the siding to be white but some fading and dirt accumulating on the siding from the years of exposure. To achieve this look I dry brushed streaks of Apple Barrel Antique White Acrylic onto most of the 8 1/2” x 11” gray construction paper allowing a little gray to show through. Followed up this process with a few streaks of Americana Warm White Acrylic to represent areas not as dirty and faded.

When dry, I cut the painted paper into 3/8” strips and applied to the structure walls.

Next step was the gable end trim.
Used 1/16” x 1/4” balsa strips painted with FolkArt Soft Apple Green Acrylic, cut to fit then applied to the gable ends.
When the glue dried I randomly streaked a very water diluted Apple Barrel Granite Gray Acrylic to the siding to represent aging. While the wood was still wet I scraped random areas to expose the base wood color to further represent finish deterioration.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guff Posted - 10/05/2019 : 09:37:08 AM
Ted and Kris,
I appreciate the comments and the support.
I'm still trying for the aged but reasonably maintained look for Hamlin Oil.
hon3_rr Posted - 10/04/2019 : 8:57:37 PM
I think that you have managed to accomplish a look/feel that few of us can/have managed to produce. I'm really looking forward to seeing this structure colored and weathered, so you know that I, for one, will be following closely. Keep up the great work and contributions.
quartergauger48 Posted - 10/04/2019 : 8:28:19 PM
Dave, your brick work looks excellent'. I really like it. Hamlin Wizard Oil has seen better days it appears. Just like the rest of us'..LOL[:-bouncy]
Guff Posted - 10/03/2019 : 5:46:57 PM
Wow guys, thanks for the nice comments.
I even debated not posting this new concept because I didn't think it was good enough!
I really appreciate the encouragement and your support definitely adds new life into pushing me to get this project done.

Thanks all,
slimrails Posted - 10/03/2019 : 12:37:32 PM
Excellent stone work, Dave. [:-thumbu]
Ensign Posted - 10/03/2019 : 12:36:05 PM
Dave, nice to see some progress on this build!
Your technique used on your stone block walls looks great.

Greg Shinnie
Terrell Posted - 10/03/2019 : 10:59:07 AM
And I agree with the others.
Frank Palmer Posted - 10/03/2019 : 10:52:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Dave, interesting technique, and looks good too. [:-thumbu]

Yes I agree. [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/03/2019 : 10:31:02 AM
Masterful masonry, Dave. I can’t recall seeing it done this way before.

Mike
Carl B Posted - 10/03/2019 : 08:34:39 AM
Dave, interesting technique, and looks good too. [:-thumbu]
Pennman Posted - 10/03/2019 : 07:43:28 AM
Dave,

I haven't started any new HO builds, as my time has been consumed by 1:1 scale projects, but I am still following this fantastic build. The overall buildings look great, as usual, from you being such a fine builder. You have a great knack of cutting foam board into stone walls. I wish I had your patience. Looks great.

Rich
sgtbob Posted - 10/03/2019 : 07:11:27 AM
Looks REAL GOOD!!!

Bob
PLNT Line Posted - 10/02/2019 : 9:28:51 PM
Dave,

Great looking walls. This one technique I need to master.

Pete
Guff Posted - 10/02/2019 : 7:18:57 PM
Many projects required my time during September. Made very little progress on the warehouse.

Warehouse walls are cut from 7/16” foamboard and carved to form block walls.
After carving with a thin mechanical pencil point I added patching plaster to the blocks to roughen texture similar to a decorative stone block.

Guff Posted - 09/03/2019 : 12:09:11 PM
Carl, Jim, Bob(railman28) Thank you for the wonderful comments. Glad you like the tarp roof.

Rich, Thanks and I hope to see one of your new builds soon!

Bob(sgtbob), Thanks and a little roof over the phone is a good idea and I will add it.

Tom, I appreciate the comment and I'm glad you checked in.

Pete, Glad you like the build. Looking forward to your first build forum posting.

Mike, Nice to read your comments. My buildings are like me - getting old and wearing out!

Frank, Thanks.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000