Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Hamlin Wizard Oil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guff Posted - 07/05/2019 : 4:25:59 PM
It’s good to be back…… The last 12 months were consumed with selling our old home, building a new house, packing, moving and all of the other work that comes from downsizing. Now it’s time to get back to one of the things I enjoy, making scale buildings for the Hard Times Ry.

My new build is a fictitious manufacturing complex based on a real product from the early 20th century...Hamlin Wizard Oil - 1859 - 1920.
The build will show signs of ageing but reasonably maintained since HWO is still operating in Hard Times Ry. Country well into the thirties, ignoring the FDA warning of false healing statements and the 1920 out of business date.

A short story of Hamlin Wizard Oil borrowed from the web!

Hamlin Wizard Oil was first produced in 1861 in Chicago by former magician John Austen Hamlin and his brother Lysander Butler Hamlin, it was primarily sold and used as a liniment for rheumatic pain and sore muscles, but was advertised as a treatment for pneumonia, cancer, diphtheria, earache, toothache, headache and hydrophobia. It was made of 50%-70% alcohol containing camphor, ammonia, chloroform, sassafras, cloves, and turpentine, and was said to be usable both internally and topically.

Traveling performance troupes advertised the product in medicine shows across the Midwest, with runs as long as six weeks in a town. They used horse-drawn wagons and dressed in silk top hats, frock coats, pinstriped trousers, and patent leather shoes—with spats.

Grinnell College research points out that the Hamlins claimed efficacy for Wizard Oil on not only human beings but also horses and cattle, one poster displaying an elephant drinking the stuff by lifting the bottle with the trunk. Bottles came in 35¢ and 75¢ sizes.

Carl Sandburg inserted two versions of lyrics titled "Wizard Oil" together with a tune into his American Songbag (1927).

In 1916, Lysander's son Lawrence B. Hamlin of Elgin, by then manager of the firm, was fined $200 under the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act for advertising that Hamlin's Wizard Oil could "check the growth and permanently kill cancer."

Sketch of the proposed 1:29 scale build :

Main building - 24’ x 45’ Office - 16’ x 15’ Warehouse Annex - 18’ x 31’

Construction is basically the same as most of my other builds using foam board and painted paper siding so I will only highlight a few techniques.

I wanted the siding to be white but some fading and dirt accumulating on the siding from the years of exposure. To achieve this look I dry brushed streaks of Apple Barrel Antique White Acrylic onto most of the 8 1/2” x 11” gray construction paper allowing a little gray to show through. Followed up this process with a few streaks of Americana Warm White Acrylic to represent areas not as dirty and faded.

When dry, I cut the painted paper into 3/8” strips and applied to the structure walls.

Next step was the gable end trim.
Used 1/16” x 1/4” balsa strips painted with FolkArt Soft Apple Green Acrylic, cut to fit then applied to the gable ends.
When the glue dried I randomly streaked a very water diluted Apple Barrel Granite Gray Acrylic to the siding to represent aging. While the wood was still wet I scraped random areas to expose the base wood color to further represent finish deterioration.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guff Posted - 11/25/2019 : 11:22:28 PM
Thanks Bob, I'm glad you like it!

Pete thank you. I hope you can use some of my methods.

Thanks Rich, you're a kind man!

Jim, the oil taste terrible but it helps the imagination. Thanks!

Mike, I appreciate the comments. The cobblestone drive was a tedious project!

Mark, I'm one of the many admirers of your work. Thank you for the wonderful response!

Thanks Fred.

Frank, you got me too...I really thought you were pulling my leg! The bristleless brush approach works great but it's hard on the eyes to keep focus. Maybe it's just my age!
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/25/2019 : 7:25:17 PM

Dave I have to admit I've never seen that before. You got me with that one.
Terrell Posted - 11/25/2019 : 4:08:39 PM
[:-thumbu] [:-thumbu]
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/25/2019 : 1:21:05 PM
This is just a beautiful complex you have created here, Dave!

So many great details and techniques! I love the phone on the wall and the chimney is fantastic! I'll definitely be giving that technique a go. An absolute modeling triumph!

Thanks fro sharing your skills, cheers, Mark.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/25/2019 : 09:16:33 AM
Dave,

Marvelous cluster of buildings in every way. The cobblestone roadway is the final triumph.

I’ve enjoyed watching it develop from sketch to completion.

Mike
BurleyJim Posted - 11/25/2019 : 07:25:08 AM
Dave,

That Wizard Oil must work, because after taking it, Your Wizardry on this build has been magic! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Jim
Pennman Posted - 11/25/2019 : 03:44:05 AM
Dave,

The Genius has been here again..but I think he never left!
As others have said, beautiful build. I have enjoyed your builds, so keep at it.

Rich
PLNT Line Posted - 11/24/2019 : 8:45:26 PM
Dave,

Wonderful build!

Thanks for sharing and teaching...

Pete
sgtbob Posted - 11/24/2019 : 4:18:19 PM
Dave,
it all turned out TERRIFIC!!!
[:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Bob
Guff Posted - 11/24/2019 : 3:35:19 PM
Frank,
I think you’re pulling my leg, however, you just simply select a paint brush with a ferrule size that works with your desired cobblestone size, pull out the bristles with a pair pliers and shape the remaining chrome section of the ferrule to your desired cobblestone shape.

Thanks Greg and Carl for the compliments.

Carl, Yes, the cobblestone drive takes a lot of hours but it sure adds character to a structure!
Carl B Posted - 11/24/2019 : 2:21:19 PM
Looks great Dave!

I certainly know how much work that cobblestone driveway was!
Ensign Posted - 11/24/2019 : 1:58:08 PM
Dave, it all came out looking wonderful once again!
Looking forward to seeing what your going to do next.

Greg Shinnie
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/24/2019 : 1:53:21 PM

Very nice. But what is a bristles removed brush? I must have a picture or explanation.
Guff Posted - 11/24/2019 : 12:22:27 PM
Finally finished this build except for the scenery and little people to be added when installed on the layout.

The cobblestone driveway is made with air dry clay shaped with a bristles removed brush.

Hoist area for the upper portion of the warehouse. Warehouse is filling up, time to push the salesmen.

Added roof over office door and phone per sgtbob suggestion.

Posted the signs for anyone that would like to use them for a fence or building.
I use the free version of paint.net to enlarge or reduce the size.

Guff Posted - 11/03/2019 : 7:17:33 PM
Thanks Carl!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000