Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_dalrymple Posted - 02/25/2011 : 4:22:03 PM
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikethetrainman Posted - 03/27/2020 : 8:23:54 PM
Mark: Thanks I don't know where I read this but a long time ago I read a article in one of the model magazines. To make it seem longer from one town to the next on a layout was to put buildings and scenery between the viewer and the trains. I have tried to do this on my current layout.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/27/2020 : 3:36:27 PM
quote:
Mark just spend some time going though this thread. Excellent work and a great design. I love the way you have bashed all these kits to get neat and unusual structures. Love all the views down the streets looks great. Keep up the great modeling.

Thanks, Mike.

I get a lot of enjoyment through attempting to make my structures unique. I would imagine I spend at least 10% of my structure building time on design - often substantially more.

I have enjoyed your work on the challenge thread very much. I like the way tall structures at the front of the layout force viewers to look around them and through them. They are a great tool for framing views of your layout and leading the eye deeper into the scene. I think your structure with the alleyway and the change in roof heights should do this especially well.

Cheers, Mark.
mikethetrainman Posted - 03/27/2020 : 05:24:16 AM
Mark just spend some time going though this thread. Excellent work and a great design. I love the way you have bashed all these kits to get neat and unusual structures. Love all the views down the streets looks great. Keep up the great modeling.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/27/2020 : 01:24:35 AM
Will do Mario, and thanks for the complement.

Got a bit done today - on the wharf scene.

All quiet in NZ, although, to be perfectly honest, there's not a lot of difference here - just less traffic noise and very few planes. All the neighbours are finding plenty to do - chainsaws, tractors, weed eaters etc all busy - myself included. Can't fathom hair dressers being essential services in Oz? No one will be getting a professional haircut in NZ for a while. Had my biannual one last month so I'm all good!

Cheers, Mark.
Mario Rapinett Posted - 03/26/2020 : 11:22:37 PM
Hi Mark..
AlL flights cancelled...Let's hope we catchup later in the year or early 2021.. Enjoy your Self isolation in NZ.... Send a few new Overall pics of the steep street scenes, when you get a chance.

cheers mate

quote:
Originally posted by Mario Rapinett

Mark. Your approach to "compressed" scenes is the highlite of your modelling. So much in small spaces.... Looking forward to maybe catching up again in 2020.....when is the open house....( Easter ...exact date ?? )

deemery Posted - 03/25/2020 : 5:30:35 PM
Great deal, Mark!!!!! (And no postage, either!!!) It's an excellent book.

dave
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/25/2020 : 5:25:51 PM
Thanks, Dave.

I saw the cover and title of that book and thought 'hang on'. There was a deceased estate at our last little big train show and I grabbed a few books for $5 each. This was one of them!

Cheers, Mark.
deemery Posted - 03/25/2020 : 4:28:51 PM
Here's the book: http://bobhayden.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=27

dave
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/25/2020 : 3:33:25 PM
quote:
Mark, sorry to read that your Easter convention that you've been working so hard to get ready for has been canceled.
Though it's nice to see it hasn't slowed your creative process down despite of it.
Your sketch of what your plans might be on your next section of layout look very interesting.
You are going to have such an amazing layout when you finally finish.
So get back to work!

Thanks, Greg.

Yes - a pity about the convention, but I saw the writing on the walls a few weeks ago so for my talk I had only done thinking and gathering of ideas and supporting materials, but hadn't spent time actually writing anything.

Yes - I love this design phase. I am only bouncing ideas around, but I do feel this one has enough legs to merit time spent on a model of a model - which was one of the things I was going to talk about at the convention - about what a great tool it is to help you visualize your ideas and whether or not they might work before you invest a huge amount of time and effort on what might be a mistake.

Cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/25/2020 : 3:25:31 PM
quote:
Please note, I have drawn the bridge on the wrong track at the upper right of the plan.

I hate it when somebody spoils the ending before I figure it out. I wanted to find the error on my own.

Nice diorama too. Keep it up Mark and you'll make a fair modeler yet.

Comments: not a big fan of the long "U". Is there a way to cut down the backdrop partition and replace it with just scenery? Interestingly you've created a baseball where the helix used to be.

Sorry to spoil the ending, Frank! On the modelers forum I didn't post that change - we'll see how many people I p off!

My next step is to make a model of the model in which I can address your concern. As you know, my peninsula has a hanging cloud, so apart from the back wall (which I will need to hide the room wall) the other walls are not necessary. However, a second wall (somewhat shorter than drawn, even) would make the support easy. The other thing that dawned on me last night while falling asleep was that the track running into the valley is going down hill, where as the river will be flowing the other way. I'm guessing this isn't really a problem, although perhaps a bit unusual.

Cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/25/2020 : 3:09:54 PM
quote:
"Dolly Varden" is a great, inspiring prototype. Do you have the book on this RR? For a long time, it was rare/hard to get, but it's been reprinted.

Thanks for this, Dave. The layout design by Dick Patterson is quite a unique take on how to create views. I don't have that book, or did I know one existed. I'll have a hunt online - maybe in a month or two.

Cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 03/25/2020 : 3:02:51 PM
quote:
Productive doodling, Mark

Thanks, Bruce. Fun too.

Cheers, Mark.
Ensign Posted - 03/25/2020 : 11:34:56 AM
Mark, sorry to read that your Easter convention that you've been working so hard to get ready for has been canceled.
Though it's nice to see it hasn't slowed your creative process down despite of it.
Your sketch of what your plans might be on your next section of layout look very interesting.
You are going to have such an amazing layout when you finally finish.
So get back to work!

Greg Shinnie
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/25/2020 : 10:38:38 AM
Please note, I have drawn the bridge on the wrong track at the upper right of the plan.

I hate it when somebody spoils the ending before I figure it out. I wanted to find the error on my own.

Nice diorama too. Keep it up Mark and you'll make a fair modeler yet.

Comments: not a big fan of the long "U". Is there a way to cut down the backdrop partition and replace it with just scenery? Interestingly you've created a baseball where the helix used to be.
deemery Posted - 03/25/2020 : 09:08:33 AM
"Dolly Varden" is a great, inspiring prototype. Do you have the book on this RR? For a long time, it was rare/hard to get, but it's been reprinted.

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000