Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 "unprototypical" trees for April Fools Day

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bill Gill Posted - 04/01/2016 : 08:08:25 AM
Itís April Fools Day and in that spirit this thread is for those times when nothing goes right, not even modeling trees. Stop, take a break & regroup. Yes, all of these are real, no fooling. They were found in ordinary locations. Even Mother Nature has off days. Enjoy.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
deemery Posted - 04/03/2016 : 11:46:22 AM
That slice of tree impaled on the smaller one made me think, "It's a hammer for Ents." We have a lot of poison ivy on the trees in our yard. The stuff that's close to the house I've cut down (wife is allergic, but I'm not).

dave
Bill Gill Posted - 04/03/2016 : 09:55:33 AM
Mike, I'm bushed and stumped too. Spruce! I mean Truce!

Here's a couple more photos. The subjects aren't exactly whole trees, but close enough for this thread :)

The scene is real. Something Frederic and other logging modelers might consider modeling for a conversation-starter detail :) The tall pine tree came down in a hurricane several years ago and drove one branch deep into the ground. The guys clearing the lot left this as a tribute. It remained there until last week when the lot got cleared for the staging area for water pipe installation.

And if that's not twisted enough for you, here is a tree wrapped in vines very common around here but maybe not so much elsewhere.

The really thick twisted one and the other heavy gray vines around the tree are oriental bittersweet a pernicious tree killing plant said to have been brought here in the 19th century by sea captains bringing back exotic specimens for their wive's gardens (it has attractive vermillion colored berries
surrounded by yellow shells in the fall.

Believe it or not, the other fat hairy vine just to the left of the twisted on on the trunk is poison ivy. Some of triple leaves around the base of the tree are also poison ivy, which grows here not only as a low ground cover, but also as thick vines like this and even tall tree sized shrubs. Poison ivy was another "gift" from sea captains because it has colorful red leaves in the fall

Michael Hohn Posted - 04/03/2016 : 09:20:40 AM
Bill,

After your phloem of puns I would respond with more but I can't remember which have been used or not. I'll just put a cork in it. Yew win.

Mike
Bill Gill Posted - 04/03/2016 : 09:12:00 AM
Frederic & Tyson, Thanks for taking a peek. I'm lumbering on trying to find any last puns before everyone gets board with this.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/03/2016 : 08:39:12 AM
[:-thumbu]
Frederic Testard Posted - 04/03/2016 : 04:12:12 AM
It's treely unbelievable, Bill.
k9wrangler Posted - 04/02/2016 : 2:43:09 PM
Just barking up the wrong trees...
Bill Gill Posted - 04/02/2016 : 2:00:07 PM
Norton, thanks, definitely infinite combinations when you start noticing.

Thanks for taking a look Ted, Al and Bob.

Frank, k9wrangler & Mike These are your best oaks, hey? Well I maple a leg now and then, but looks like now I'll have to really spruce up my act
to stay poplar instead of pining away in the corner wondering if Bruce will hemlock this thread.
...one more...Mike, after your reply I think this thread opened a can-o-worms more than a canopy :)
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/02/2016 : 1:01:59 PM
Bill,

Lots of funny photos. Ce-dar's a prototype for everything.

A couple could have used canopy glue.

Mike
Tabooma County Rwy Posted - 04/02/2016 : 11:22:26 AM
Great topic and photos, Bill. Now the challenge is to make models of them.....

Al Carter
sgtbob Posted - 04/02/2016 : 07:53:16 AM

What more can I say??

Good one.

Bob
quartergauger48 Posted - 04/01/2016 : 8:35:20 PM
Good stuff Bill'...How true it is' I have some of those oddities on my layout for sure'....
k9wrangler Posted - 04/01/2016 : 7:56:26 PM
Nice trees, I'll leaf the puns to others more rooted in humor in their family trees.
Frank Palmer Posted - 04/01/2016 : 7:38:41 PM
Come on Bill, your bark is worse than your byte.
Norton Posted - 04/01/2016 : 6:00:26 PM
Mother Natures version of IDIC. (Trekkers should get the reference)

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000