Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bernd Posted - 07/28/2014 : 2:08:59 PM
Over the years I've started several motive power scratch builds, modifications and kitbash projects. So I thought I'd share some of these adventures with the members on the forum. I'll post the first adventure in the next post.

Comments and questions are encouraged.

Bernd
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jbvb Posted - 11/26/2019 : 09:53:36 AM
Looks much better.
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/26/2019 : 09:10:26 AM

The flywheel sits in the perfect place, right in the cab.
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 8:07:08 PM
I have the list of the shell figured out and fixed.

The shell has two tabs in the rear that sit on the frame.

The frame has two side rails that are higher that the rest of the frame. A small section of these rails is what was interfering with the tabs on the shell.

A quick job for the mill to take care of. I milled down a small portion of the rail to proper height.

And it looks a lot better now with the shell sitting low and level.

Up next is a permanent solution to the rear block the holds the rear single axle and adding wheel wipers and wiring up the motor.

Stay tuned. More to come.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 7:58:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Is that the California Zephyr? It does have a California Rake like we used to put on cars back in the 60ís

I think you are thinking about the Burlington Zephyr.

https://pixels.com/featured/burlington-zephyr-gregory-heath.html

I did start to build the Burlington Zephyr from an article way back in Model Railroader. I'll have to finish that one day.

Here's the story behind the Aero Train.

https://www.american-rails.com/aero.html

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 7:42:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

It looks fairly level, the shadow makes it look worse than it actually is. It would be nice to have another frame to experiment with.

Jim

I have a second shell and frame that I got from E-bay a couple of weeks ago. I plan on another project with that one.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 7:41:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Bernd, after you re-shim the gear tower for the proper mesh can you shim up the flywheel bearing towers to straighten the angle ?

No. Can't do because the flywheel is at a set height since it's part of the frame/chassis casting. I could mill out the slot where the bearings are located but that would drop the flywheel further down and would probably scrape on top of the truck again.

quote:
I donít think the list of the frame is all that important as long as the shell sits level. I did notice that you are getting close to top of the shell now, so wonder how much room you have left there.

Unfortunately the camera isn't showing the true list. It's quite noticeable if you have the model in front of you. I think I've got it figured out now.

Bernd
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/25/2019 : 7:31:33 PM
Is that the California Zephyr? It does have a California Rake like we used to put on cars back in the 60ís
BurleyJim Posted - 11/25/2019 : 5:56:25 PM
It looks fairly level, the shadow makes it look worse than it actually is. It would be nice to have another frame to experiment with.

Jim
Carrie Creek Posted - 11/25/2019 : 4:11:06 PM
Bernd, after you re-shim the gear tower for the proper mesh can you shim up the flywheel bearing towers to straighten the angle ?
I donít think the list of the frame is all that important as long as the shell sits level. I did notice that you are getting close to top of the shell now, so wonder how much room you have left there.
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 11:53:53 AM
Jim,

Can't move the flywheel toward the center the way the frame is cast. I do have a solution for the next one. Yes, I have another shell.

Here's my solution. I added .080" thick styrene just to test this theory out and I think it'll work.

It moved the rear of the chassis up to almost .6".

Here's is the chassis with the shell in place. Looks like it might be tipped forward a bit.

More after I have some lunch.

Bernd
BurleyJim Posted - 11/25/2019 : 08:46:48 AM
Is moving the flywheel more toward the center off the table as a solution? You would kill two birds with that move. The gear mesh issue you already have that fix. It's a lot easier playing Monday morning quarterback (especially on a Monday morning   ) than actually doing the work! Hang in there!!!

Jim
Bernd Posted - 11/25/2019 : 08:24:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Kadee washers on the truck mounting screw would help the scrape, at cost of the body sitting a few scale inches higher.

James,

Thanks for the tip. The problem is that the chassis is "tipped". The powered truck makes the front sit higher than the back with the single axle. Even before I did the modifications the chassis was tipped. The problem is the that the rear single axle needs to be shimmed up. That will also alleviate the flywheel from scrapping. Here's some pics of the situation.

I tried to make sure the camera was level with the table the chassis is sitting on. You'll notice a slight tip down to the left.

In this picture of a close up of the scale you'll notice that the bottom of the chassis is at .6".

On the other end it is at .5".

A whole .1" tip. May not seem like much but it sure causes some problems. I'm going to shim the single axle up to level out the chassis. Problem with that will be that the shell will sit higher above the wheel center lines. I'll explain that once I fix the tip.

Bernd
jbvb Posted - 11/24/2019 : 8:15:18 PM
Kadee washers on the truck mounting screw would help the scrape, at cost of the body sitting a few scale inches higher.
Orionvp17 Posted - 11/24/2019 : 5:35:11 PM
I'm in awe of this whole process. [:-bigeyes]

Obviously I need o learn a whole new set of skills! Wow1

Pete
in Michigan
BurleyJim Posted - 11/24/2019 : 5:06:54 PM
Bernd, Looks like by shaving a few thousandths off the shim you'might' help that U-joint offset, but it wouldn't solve the flywheel rub. We have complete confidence that you'll figure it out. Nice work.

Jim

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000