Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Geoff Nott Memorial Project

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silveradonorthern Posted - 07/03/2013 : 10:34:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
This last June, I received the sad news of Geoff Nottís passing. Somehow I missed this information here on the forums.

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40137&whichpage=1

I have followed Geoffís work over the years in magazines (such as his article on Smugglerís Cove in the May/June 2013 Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette) and online sources and have always been inspired by his work.

Iíll continue in a second post to allow for editing.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CieloVistaRy Posted - 01/21/2014 : 11:03:28 PM
Geoff always did have a good layout.

Nice of you to do this tribute. I will be following.
silveradonorthern Posted - 01/21/2014 : 10:22:11 PM
Hi Everyone,
Bill to answer your question, I purchased a bunch of Pan Pastels from Roger who is super nice to deal with. The remainder I purchased over time from a local art store. The art store doesn't have any of the 'extra dark' colors so another order to Roger is in my plans.

Bruce, I agree Walt is super to deal with. I couldn't believe how fast my order arrived.

I'm still learning how to make the most of Pan Pastels but I really like how easy they are to use.

I should be offering an update here on my project but the truth is the project has taken so many different twists and turns it hard to explain. With no picture yet available all I can say is that 1/48 seems to have grown to 1/24

Dutchman Posted - 01/20/2014 : 08:34:16 AM
Michael,

I like the coloration that you are achieving with the Pan Pastels. Clearly it is time for me to get some in stock.

Walt at Rusty Stumps is a great guy and nice to deal with. I have been using his products (HO scale) for years now. I am sure that you will find them very suitable for your needs.
the arkansas traveler Posted - 01/20/2014 : 07:23:19 AM
Hi Micheal,
I'm in the US but I have been reading Narrow Gauge Downunder for many years now. I get my issue through Coronado Scale Models in Phoenix. There is a some really fine work presented in that magazine. I always looked forward to an article by Geoff as he was an awesome modeler. I would like to build a model in his honor as he also inspired me.

I really like the way the Pan Pastels look on your board samples. Are those Stoney Creek Design pastels or just some you got from an art store?

Do you plan to do an interior on this build?

BILL
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/10/2013 : 11:54:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well with the four sub-walls for the Emporium roughed out, it was time to turn my attention to colors for the exterior. After studying the pictures of Geoffís build I came to the conclusion that he used a dark green for the doors, windows & trim and a much lighter green for the body of the Emporium. Iíve wanted to use a similar color combination (sage & hunter green) for one of my builds so I choose to shoot for something in this range.
I like to create some sample cards to see how things might work out. These cards are a great reference for both the current project and future ones. Below is my sample card for the Emporium.

Note: All of the boards got a similar treatment.
First each was given a graining effect with a file card brush.

All of the odd numbered group had the chalk applied straight to the basswood.

All of the even numbered group had a A/I light black wash applied first then the chalk.

The right half of all of the boards was given another application of A/I light black wash.

Finally all of the boards were given a light sanding with a 320 grit sanding sponge (except #s 5&6 which I got ahead of myself and glued to the card before sanding. I did sand them a bit in place on the card but it wasnít quite the same.)

All colors are Pan Pastels

1&2 Yellow Ochre Extra Dark
In the container this color looks to have a pronounced green cast. In use the greenish cast is still there but very slight.

3&4 Bright Yellow Green Shade
This group starts to show more of the green but still has a strong yellow cast.

5&6 Chrome Oxide Green
This grouping really starts to show the green without being in your face.

7&8 Chrome Oxide Green Shade
I was hoping for a darker green here so I think a second application of the chalk might be needed. As most of the darker green will be on plastic castings (doors/windows) Iíll need to do some testing on a casting.

Currently Iím liking the #4 left hand side as the main body color.

The rear wall of the Emporium has a large freight door. I want to have a partially open door so using a Grandt Line casting wouldnít work. I started looking around to see what might be available. I knew Walt at Rusty Stumps had some laser cut doors and windows so I checked out the web site. I really liked one freight door in particular so I placed an order. Below is a picture of the door(s)

While I was ordering the freight door I thought why not try one of Rusty Stumps detail castings. I chose a package of old tires. These will be used when I get around to the garage section of the build.

This was my first purchase from Rusty Stumps (Iíve only heard good things about Walt and his company) and Iím very pleased with the speed in which my order arrived. The product is as expected. I havenít taken them out of the package yet but Iím sure they will work great.

As always comments, suggestions and such are welcome.
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/02/2013 : 8:47:30 PM
Hi Frederic & Mario,

Frederick wrote : Concerning drawings, I use for my math drawings a software called Asymptote which allows me to very easily 'write' the plans (like Postscript language),
and then through a compiler turns the orders into image files. This is the way I've drawn all the 'technical' and 'architectural' plans in my Sao Martins
topic.

Sounds interesting. I'm sure that it is very easy for you as your use to this system. I think I'd have a real learning curve to learn this approach. On a side note I just went through your current project and as always it is a real treat. It seems this project really has it's challenges, but you are meeting them head on.

And then you said: I like your set of goals.

Thanks With each project I start I like to set out some things I'd like to do different from other builds. It helps to keep the modeling fun. It also works to stretch the brain. LOL You latest project is a great example of this.
If nothing else look at how much you're learning about tropical trees.

Mario wrote: I spoke to a couple of my close friends and they have been finding good homes for creations by Geoff Nott.
I have requested that the corner store be reserved for me. Hopefully this gem will find a home here.

It is good to hear that Geoff's work will live on into the future. Do you know if any of his dioramas are headed to this side of the pond such as to the Suncoast Center for Fine Scale Modeling?
Mario Rapinett Posted - 08/02/2013 : 02:59:50 AM
I spoke to a couple of my close friends and they have been finding good homes for creations by Geoff Nott.
I have requested that the corner store be reserved for me. Hopefully this gem will find a home here.

Great to see this tribute build.

I spoke to Geoff's wife last night and hope to see her in the very near future to pass on printouts such as this thread.

cheers all

"M"
Frederic Testard Posted - 08/02/2013 : 02:40:45 AM
Michael, it's good to see you on the project.
Concerning drawings, I use for my math drawings a software called Asymptote which allows me to very easily 'write' the plans (like Postscript language),
and then through a compiler turns the orders into image files. This is the way I've drawn all the 'technical' and 'architectural' plans in my Sao Martins
topic.
I like your set of goals.
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/02/2013 : 12:59:53 AM
Thanks Kris,
It's good to be building something again.

How about you? Are you working on anything?
hon3_rr Posted - 08/01/2013 : 10:47:19 PM
Michael, Glad to see you back at the bench. Looking forward to seeing your build.
silveradonorthern Posted - 08/01/2013 : 10:24:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I thought Iíd do an update to this thread. Most of my modeling time since my last post has been learning to use a newer version of TurboCAD. While Iím not any kind of an expert, Iíve learned enough to make simple drawings that Iím using in my project.

There are a couple of things that I set as goals for this build:
1.) Full interior to the extent that can be viewed through the windows.
2.) Craft most of these details myself
3.) Use a different method to color both interior & exterior walls
4.) Explore as many different options as possible

The first decision I made was to use foam core board for my sub-walls. What Iím using is 3/16Ē thick which scales out to 9Ē in O scale. This bothered me at first, but I think Iíve come up with a way to disguise this. The only areas that will show this thickness (on the inside) are around windows and doors. Since the view of the interior will be limited to what can be seen through the windows, when I get to that point Iíll explain/show my solution. Cardstock was an option but I felt Iíd need to brace it more than the foam core and it would be hard to disguise this bracing. The foam core will give a nice smooth wall to decorate.

There are three structures that make up this build. Iíve chosen to start with the simpler of the three; the Emporium. I cut the four walls out and lightly tape them together around the floor to make sure everything fits. While it cuts easily it is hard to trim thin amounts away unlike basswood or balsa. It was important to cut everything Ďjustí right.

Here are three pictures of the wall sections taped together. Nothing fancy about the pictures just quick ones to show what Iím doing.

I haven't yet cut any door or window openings

Before cutting the walls I cut the floor from the foam core and applied 1/32Ē thick strips of basswood a scale 12Ē wide. I generally find one foot wide boards a bit too big to my eye but in this case the flooring will be covered by cases/racks and such so very little will show. I colored the floor boards using Pan Pastels. In this case the color is called ĎOrange Extra Dark.í As you can see the color is more a warm brown than orange. I didn't feel the need to add any texture to the boards as I didn't think it would show up. Iím really happy with the color.

Below is a picture of the flooring. The foam core was sprayed flat black prior to adding the wood. The black at the bottom of the picture is the front of the store. Iím using a casting from Grandt Line that has a recessed door flanked by large windows, much like the original kit had. I need to wait until I have that item before I cut and lay the floor boards in place. The black area towards the top of the picture is where a partition wall will go. The original design showed this wall and I would have placed one there regardless. It keeps the viewer from looking in the front window and seeing all the way back to the large freight door on the rear wall. (Not very realistic)

Well that is all for now. As I did at the beginning of this thread I invite anyone who would like to join me in a Geoff Nott inspired project to do so. As you can see Iím a slow builder and I expect this project to last awhile.

*** If there is anyone wanting scale dimension for this structure PM me and Iíll send you what I have. At this point only the Emporium has been drawn up.
dallas_m Posted - 07/08/2013 : 8:46:36 PM
Off to a good start!
silveradonorthern Posted - 07/08/2013 : 7:39:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

Quick update.

I redrew the CAD drawing to show the basic layout/footprint for Shenandoah Crossing. All measurements are scale dimensions. While not shown in the drawing there is a passageway from the emporium into the gas station and one from the garage into the gas station area

I grabbed a couple of pictures of the completed boardwalk. If you look at the pictures of Geoff's build you will see the emporium and boardwalk sit lower than the gas station. I'm sure this was a modification on his part as I'm not seeing anything in the instructions for the original kit to support this layout. Back in days when this kit was designed there was little in the way of multi-plane construction. I like what Geoff did and built my boardwalk to closely match the pictures. The two sections are not glued together. I placed small 1/4" thick pieces of wood under the long section to raise it up to the intended height for the photograph.

For this project I'm using a new (to me) product called 'PanPastels.' They are a dream to work with. Like other pastel chalks they have a base color then a lighter one called a 'tint' and two darker ones called 'shade' & 'extra dark.

For the platforms I first added graining with a file card brush then put in the nail holes/marks then applied the PanPastels. For this I chose 'Raw Umber' and 'Raw Umber Shade' I then washed the powers in with a light black wash of A/I. When the boards were dry I gave them a light sanding with a 320 grit sanding sponge. The sanding really helps pop the grain and nail marks.

Next up I need to draw up the wall sections in CAD. I'm trying a new program so the going is slow. I may end up going back to my older computer and TurboCad.[:-banghead]

That's all for now
silveradonorthern Posted - 07/07/2013 : 12:14:45 PM
Thanks Rich

Yesterday I built the boardwalk that will go in front of the emporium. I hope to be able to grab a couple of pictures later today.
Pennman Posted - 07/07/2013 : 08:44:23 AM
Hi Michael,

I have always admired Geoff's work and this model. I will be following along in this tribute to Geoff.

Rich

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000