Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dutchman Posted - 04/10/2020 : 09:57:05 AM
I love that low-light shot, James.
Orionvp17 Posted - 04/10/2020 : 09:46:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Yeah, there needs to be a lonly passenger on the station platform to complete the Hopper 'sense of isolation'.

dave

Social distancing!

Nice scene, James!

Pete
in Michigan
deemery Posted - 04/10/2020 : 09:44:13 AM
Yeah, there needs to be a lonly passenger on the station platform to complete the Hopper 'sense of isolation'.

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/10/2020 : 09:17:10 AM
James,

Although you say itís not photogenic, your photo captures a real mood. Sort of a lonely, Hopperesque feeling.

Like your photo, your scene is developing nicely.

Mike
Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/10/2020 : 08:17:28 AM
Love that last shot, very nice work!
jbvb Posted - 04/09/2020 : 10:29:17 PM
Today's work was dividing my LED lighting for two power supplies, then adding more strips to fill in dim spots. So not very photogenic. But I got the inter-track fence installed a few days ago:

The gate is the next part, then painting. But because last Friday's paint order (from 32 driving miles away) arrived today, tomorrow 28 Winter St. will be airbrushed.
jbvb Posted - 04/05/2020 : 10:12:54 PM
George, I agree. I spent today doing this to about 30 inches more of it, for east of the baggage crossing.

One minor problem is that Model Memories had applied some kind of coating, presumably to keep the brass bright. This made it harder to solder to. If I'd been patient I could have asked them how to remove it chemically. Instead I got out the Bright Boy, source of the few bent hairpins visible near the RH post.

While blackening it (not very well, see above re: coating), I noticed the reinforcement bulked up the fence in a good way. If I need fence close to the edge of the layout or in a place where operators reach but both sides are visible, I'd use DA flat bar or K&S 1/32" brass angle. That would improve realism a lot. But I had the .020 wire on hand and the back of this is invisible.
George D Posted - 04/04/2020 : 6:59:55 PM
That fence looks very fragile, James. That's going to be a nice scene when it's done.

George
jbvb Posted - 04/04/2020 : 6:19:42 PM
There is indeed a convention, which the Hub Division is hosting Columbus Day Weekend. By which time we all hope very much we won't be in crisis mode. But actually, the layout is getting the benefit of "Do your farming when the weather tells you to" and the suspension of most of my other volunteer and recreational activities. I could have finally bought cable, or streaming video, but no, not me.

No crowd of RailRun operators last weekend, maybe visitors and operators in October. Or maybe Tour de Chooch visitors after Thanksgiving. Someday...
Orionvp17 Posted - 04/04/2020 : 5:37:45 PM
Chuck,

I've heard something about some convention up there somewhere sometime, so maybe there is....
wvrr Posted - 04/04/2020 : 4:13:41 PM
You sure are working hard on the layout, James. Is there a convention coming up?

Chuck
Orionvp17 Posted - 04/03/2020 : 10:40:08 PM
Looking good! Keep the narrative coming, too... helps things "come alive."

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 04/03/2020 : 10:09:16 PM
Thanks, Frank. Pete and Dave, my attention has been elsewhere, but a few days ago I got my shipment from Model Memories.

Bexley station is on a sharp curve with bi-directional double track, and a quarter mile from the West Portal of the single track Bexley Tunnel. So a pedestrian overpass and inter-track fence are de rigueur, lest most trains crawl through at Restricted Speed per Rule 107. Years ago I'd bought some of MM's etched brass 'Hairpin Fence', so with the platforms and baggage crossing finished, I measured and purchased enough for the whole job.

MM uses thin brass, and I do operations. So after soldering the pieces together, I reinforced the whole length with .020 phosphor bronze wire (Tichy) soldered on the hidden side of the horizontals. I also soldered .020 posts to the verticals. This is the test assembly in its drilled holes, tomorrow I'll blacken and paint it.

I bought a fence/gate pack too, but the gate turns out to be scale 9' 9" long. If my platforms were as wide as many prototypes, this would have been OK. But considering how to get a baggage cart turned 90 degrees and through a gate without dropping a wheel to the ballast, I made my crossing 14 feet wide. Once I have both segments of fence in, I'll scratchbuild a 16 foot rolling gate.

The stairway to the left didn't fit Bexley Tower, so I found a home for it connecting the inbound platform to Chipman St. And of course, the photo shows how badly the platform needs sweeping.
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/19/2020 : 7:14:39 PM

James nice progress.
deemery Posted - 03/19/2020 : 2:20:05 PM
I got mine from Amazon.

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000