Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 1957 Woolworth Menu

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike Hamer Posted - 08/22/2012 : 10:45:24 AM

I think I'll have a Super De-luxe Ham Sandwich, with a slice of Apple Pie and a glass of Orange Juice and finish it off with a Banana Split, and only for a buck!

Ahhh, remember when! [:-apple][:-apple]
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RonH56 Posted - 08/29/2012 : 09:19:28 AM
In '57 I was only a year old, but growing up In Stamford, Ct we had a big old fashioned Woolworths downtown well into the seventies but the lunch counter was gone in teh late sixties I believe.
I remember it well. We also had The Farm Shop which was kinda like Friendlies, Chicken in a basket was the specialty and of course White Tower and "The Big Whitely"
YUMMM...
Mike Hamer Posted - 08/27/2012 : 1:32:16 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the great stories of your memories of this wel-known store with its luncheon. Nice to see the old photos and seeing a Woolworth's modelled as well! [:-apple][:-apple]
Ray Schofield Posted - 08/26/2012 : 10:11:13 PM
Well I turned 16 in 57 and got a car so we went to the HoJos (Howard Johnson's) or the A and W drive ins. Man those were the days and while I was still into trains OTHER things occupied much of my attention, as I am sure if you were near that age you may have done some of the same things. My girlfreind and eventual wife bought me my first HO train, a Tyco (Mantua) RTR Mikado for about $15. What no one has mentioned is $1.50/hour was good pay for a HS kid. Great memories though
umtrr-author Posted - 08/26/2012 : 5:08:37 PM
Woolworths lives on my N Scale Wilmington & New York Railroad, in downtown Au Sable Forks:

This is the Imex model with some extra roof details. I thought they nailed the sign.

The ones in which we shopped, including the big one not far from Macy's flagship Herald Square Manhattan store, had a lot of trains. The last one I set foot in was in Burlington, Vermont and I picked up a pile of bags of Woodland Scenics ballast.
Michael Posted - 08/24/2012 : 9:50:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Eating at Woolworth's was a real treat when I was a kid, but it usually followed an excruciating visit to the dentist across the street. Remember the slow-speed drill that rattled every bone in your body? The sound still gives me the willies. [:-shake] [:-scared] [:-shake]

Mike, lunch sounds good to me. When? I'll buy!

Pete
in Michigan

Oh man ... I don't mean to get off topic here but ... as a kid, at the dentist, I would get my choice of the highspeed drill or the old rumbling drill. I took the rumbler everytime! The whine of the high speed drill makes my blood crawl! Memories!

Joe <><

Talk about the dentist's drill. It doesn't bother me . . . but . . . before becoming a paramedic, I worked as a producer for a radio station in Ottawa, ON. This particular day I was searching the sound effects library looking for the sound of a dentist's drill. While I was sampling the effect, and unknown to me, the young lady who scheduled the radio ads for the on-air shows happened to walk into the production studio. Well, I was quickly startled as she let out a loud, blood-curdling shreak and abruptly turned 180 degress exiting quick as bunny. After finding her in her office, at the other end of the building, I asked her what was her problem? She confided in me saying she hated the sound of the dentist's drill!

Michael
Fitter Roger Posted - 08/24/2012 : 8:34:42 PM
In the early 80's my Woolworths in Janesville Wi had the lunch counter upstairs over looking the Rock River and MODEL TRAINS in the basement! Mostly AHM and Athearn but it sure was cool. From my parents house it was a walk along the dying MILW Road, cross the CNW than down town to Woolworths and Larry's and Phil's ice cream and hobby shop.
MudHen 462 Posted - 08/24/2012 : 5:36:04 PM
In '57 I was stationed in Germany, but I saddled up to the Woolworth counter many times as I grew up.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Mike.

Bob
MarkF Posted - 08/24/2012 : 4:59:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/5662/1930woolworthswilmainthefront7.jpg

Woolworths on Dixie Hwy Louisville KY

My Aunt 12th from the left.

Cool photo! I love the sign in the backgroud that advertises a 20 cent lunch!
Philip Posted - 08/24/2012 : 3:31:35 PM
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/5662/1930woolworthswilmainthefront7.jpg

Woolworths on Dixie Hwy Louisville KY

My Aunt 12th from the left.
k9wrangler Posted - 08/24/2012 : 1:03:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Eating at Woolworth's was a real treat when I was a kid, but it usually followed an excruciating visit to the dentist across the street. Remember the slow-speed drill that rattled every bone in your body? The sound still gives me the willies. [:-shake] [:-scared] [:-shake]

Mike, lunch sounds good to me. When? I'll buy!

Pete
in Michigan

Oh man ... I don't mean to get off topic here but ... as a kid, at the dentist, I would get my choice of the highspeed drill or the old rumbling drill. I took the rumbler everytime! The whine of the high speed drill makes my blood crawl! Memories!

Joe <><

Let's face it, a trip to the dentist is a white knuckler no matter the drill. I've had both, I'm not sure but I think the one in my childhood had a foot pedal, not really but it was nothing more than fancy dremel.
postalkarl Posted - 08/24/2012 : 12:08:45 PM
Hi Mike:

We had a Woolworths in Ambler, Pa. where I grew up. That menu doesn't have the burgers and fries on it. They were in the same type price range. When I was growing up my allowance was 25 cents a week And a $1.00 for mowing almost an acre of grass. But that buck and a quarter went a pretty good way in those days.

Karl S.
rutlandfan Posted - 08/24/2012 : 11:14:01 AM
When I was in Lake George NY last week, I drove by one of the few remaining Howard Johnsons on US Route 9. Sadly it was closed and for sale. My Grandmother worked at the Woolworths in Brockville Ontario during WW2 and she showed me menus when I was growing up of food available then, and the prices. Now I can't take my kids to McDonalds without it costing $40+.

Times change, sadly.

Phil
Thorn Creek and Western Posted - 08/23/2012 : 4:50:00 PM
A very fond childhood memory is of my mom buying me a strawberry ice cream soda at Woolworths. It was a rare treat at the time. Those sodas cost a quarter in the '50s.

Here is a period child's menu from Howard Johnson's--

Sorry about the image quality but it is mostly readable.
-Dave
Chuck Doan Posted - 08/23/2012 : 12:23:55 PM
Someday todays youngsters will get all misty eyed remebering the Mcdondalds inside of Wal Mart.

Department store lunchrooms...I was too little to remember, but they sound great.
brakie Posted - 08/23/2012 : 07:20:48 AM
Ah yes..

There was a Woolworth on South High Street in Columbus and one habit I picked up was going to Woolworth's for a snack Saturday morning after going to Halls hobby shop..

I usually got a milkshake or a coffee with apple pie-I started drinking coffee when I was around 10.

And if I may.

There was a elderly lady that worked there and if she was working I knew better then to buy coffee because she knew my aunt Dot and would tell on me and Aunt Dot would inform my dad I was drinking coffee at Woolworth.Kinda of a double standard since aunt Dot and my dad was coffee drinkers.[:-bigeyes2]

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000