Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mwbpequod Posted - 12/24/2011 : 1:16:10 PM
These 2 are the first of several left over from a large box lot of cars and rubbish (emphasis on rubbish, ) that I had bought a few years ago. I pulled all of the decent cars that took only a few hours of effort to move them to either keep or depart. The rest were salvaged for parts, trucks, etc and more than a few made some great kindling last winter,

But, I kept a few on the shelf thinking that there might be something there other than just kindling.

These 2 were basically wooden boxes with a boxcar roof section all nailed together when I started.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mwbpequod Posted - 02/23/2020 : 08:12:25 AM
Lots done!

mwbpequod Posted - 02/16/2020 : 12:50:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The cupola is almost a model in of itself. Quite a good job on the detailing, Martin.

Mike

Thanks all!

It was a bit of battle getting all of the openings cut out keeping this old scribed plywood material intact when I was getting close to the edge. Wore out 2 scalpel blades; no bloodshed!
mwbpequod Posted - 02/16/2020 : 12:48:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

What did you use for the canvas, Martin?

My standard - single ply napkins from Panera cut into strips and overlapped attached with dilute Carpenter's glue.
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/16/2020 : 10:29:49 AM
The cupola is almost a model in of itself. Quite a good job on the detailing, Martin.

Mike
TRAINS1941 Posted - 02/16/2020 : 10:21:50 AM
That is really nice. Great job.
Dutchman Posted - 02/16/2020 : 08:47:45 AM
What did you use for the canvas, Martin?
mwbpequod Posted - 02/16/2020 : 08:07:34 AM
Got the cupola just about ready to attach now; trim added, painted, glazed, roof and grabs installed...

mwbpequod Posted - 02/09/2020 : 12:53:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Another fine model, Martin. It's shaping up very nicely.

I could be wrong, but when you secure the cupola to the roof (if it isn't already) I'd probably center it between window and door. Seems like the cupola access would interfere with the door as you currently have it.

Just where you suggest is going to be its final resting place - where it is in the current photo is just to show it resting on the roof
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/09/2020 : 11:42:54 AM
Another fine model, Martin. It's shaping up very nicely.

I could be wrong, but when you secure the cupola to the roof (if it isn't already) I'd probably center it between window and door. Seems like the cupola access would interfere with the door as you currently have it.

Mike
mwbpequod Posted - 02/09/2020 : 11:08:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Martin, do those roof boards have beveled edges to match the curve on the roof?

Nope! I just fiddled about with the board width until I got one that left it pretty tight. After I get the the canvas on and get that painted, it'll be fine.
Dutchman Posted - 02/09/2020 : 09:24:44 AM
Martin, do those roof boards have beveled edges to match the curve on the roof?

mwbpequod Posted - 02/09/2020 : 08:28:34 AM
Roof on, cupola assembled with roof on (needs a few trim boards), and all test fitted together.

[url=https://martinbrechbiel.smugmug.com/Cabeese/Peare-Box-Caboose/i-TVLHNn2/A][/url]

[url=https://martinbrechbiel.smugmug.com/Cabeese/Peare-Box-Caboose/i-rJLRZD2/A][/url]

[url=https://martinbrechbiel.smugmug.com/Cabeese/Peare-Box-Caboose/i-BGfpn4B/A][/url]

Got to wrap up the cupola, paint it, and get the windows glazed.
mwbpequod Posted - 02/02/2020 : 2:46:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Looking good, Martin.

quote:
Like the others, I'm beginning to think about the wood kits I have sitting on the shelf.

Hmmmmm..........eventually I might get around to building a few on my shelves, too!
George D Posted - 02/02/2020 : 1:09:23 PM
Looking good, Martin. Like the others, I'm beginning to think about the wood kits I have sitting on the shelf.

George
mwbpequod Posted - 02/02/2020 : 08:57:15 AM
Closing up the roof a board at a time....

[/url]

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000