Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyson Rayles Posted - 04/13/2021 : 07:05:36 AM
[:-thumbu]
Michael Hohn Posted - 04/12/2021 : 10:34:16 PM
The houses look terrific. What a talent!
wvrr Posted - 04/12/2021 : 9:49:52 PM
She couldn't start with something small, eh? She is doing a great job!

Chuck
Orionvp17 Posted - 04/12/2021 : 10:56:36 AM
New buildings look really good, James! Very nice work!

But I'm gonna call "no fair," because she gets more done in two days than I can in four to six months! Enjoy your Blessings!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb Posted - 04/11/2021 : 9:32:25 PM
Now that the April NERx is just about over and I've learned to CadWeld rail bonds at Seashore, it looks like I need to do another Tichy order:

My wife, whom a few of you have met, worked as an architect until 2007. She'd recently built a 'mass model' of a house suitable for Thailand and had been making clothes for herself. Talking about this, she remarked that family and friends didn't need more bird or pet paintings, and she was tailoring to ward off boredom. Newburyport needs lots of scratchbuilt buildings, so I offered to show her how to scale from photos and tax plans, and build out of styrene. 10 days later, I had to start work on foundations:

She's finding styrene and molded windows much easier to work with than the paper and wood she used at university. Roofs tomorrow, so I need to order shingles too.

It's late so if you want to see prototypes, ask Street View for 24 Winter St. and 38 Washington St. in Newburyport. I shortened 24 Winter's el and should have compressed it more. But I'll shrink the station's driveway to make up for that.
jbvb Posted - 04/05/2021 : 2:11:07 PM
Belated thanks, Scott. The silver cars are Rapido's models of Budd Rail Diesel Cars. After about 1955, the B&M owned more of them than any other railroad.

Also, a big hurrah for Tichy Train Group and the US Postal Service. I ordered at 10 AM Friday, Tichy shipped it First Class Saturday morning and the USPS transported it almost 800 miles, delivering it as we ate lunch Monday.
CNE1899 Posted - 03/23/2021 : 09:02:20 AM
James,
Beautiful car builds! I like the photo work as well, particularly the one of the station and silver cars.

Scott
jbvb Posted - 03/20/2021 : 10:23:07 PM
Belated thanks, Mike, Bruce, Chuck and Pete. I've been scratchbuilding my first car, a PRR 'FM' 40' flat car, in brass in another thread:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53619

I haven't posted here since February. I'm done (I hope) with the soldering phase and spent an hour testing it on the layout tonight:

With luck I can get it finished before April; the nice weather makes it much more comfortable to airbrush with the vent pipe out the window.
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/18/2021 : 11:20:16 AM
The car looks good, James. Used, but not abused. Nice!

Pete
in Michigan
wvrr Posted - 02/18/2021 : 10:52:59 AM
The car looks great, James.

Chuck
Dutchman Posted - 02/18/2021 : 08:31:48 AM
Nice job, James. Lime dust color for weathering - I'm going to have to remember that for oxide colored cars.
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/17/2021 : 9:18:36 PM
Handsome car. You did a good job building it. Weathering is realistic too.

Mike
jbvb Posted - 02/15/2021 : 9:47:00 PM
Thanks, Mike. Today I finished the Tichy 4028D kit, adding cut levers and air hoses and trying my first 'powder' weathering job. I used Burnt Umber pastel for the brake dust and rust down low, blackboard chalk for the ash above it and finished with a little Bragdon Lime Dust.

I plan to use this as one of 'other than scratchbuilt' models when I apply for the AP Cars certificate. It isn't be the best of the four, but I have one Merit Award and only need three more.
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/13/2021 : 9:43:21 PM
A couple more great shots!
jbvb Posted - 02/13/2021 : 8:36:37 PM
Thanks, Bruce, but the Franklin St. above was taken with my Pentax Kr DSLR (with some buildings removed to place it). It's fun to see views I hadn't even considered when the scenery and structures were designed and built. However, the $70 webcam is at its limits:

This is more or less the same shot with the C615. Lacking a real aperture, I can't do much with depth of field. Better software might get cleaner edges in the image, but the horizontal lines seem more like a sensor artifact.

This is the C615's sweet spot: Normal light, not a lot of pressure on the limited depth of field, and a perspective like I was standing on a baggage cart out at the end of the inbound platform. I'll use it to 'scout locations' and check things I was using an inspection mirror for. And I'll keep my ear to the ground for better tech; if I knew I'd get DSLR functionality in a package this size, I'd pay a DSLR price.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000