Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Wichendon Machine Company

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deemery Posted - 01/16/2012 : 8:05:35 PM
I got a copy of Laser Modeling 3's "Winchendon Machine Company" for Christmas. I didn't get the machine tool or boiler add-on packages, as I already have lots of SS Ltd, Model Masterpieces and other belt driven machine tools "in stock". The base kit comes in a box with a huge number of laser cut parts, plaster castings, styrene castings, stripwood, fiber optics, etc.

This will not be a conventional build thread, since I tend to work "bursty". So it may be some time between updates. But over this long weekend, I got a good head start on this kit and came away with some observations/tips/lessons learned to pass along.

dave
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Orionvp17 Posted - 12/07/2019 : 9:50:58 PM
Nice fix on the foundation, Dave!

Pete
in Michigan
railman28 Posted - 12/07/2019 : 9:29:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I wonder what the guy in the video would make of the fact that the first post in this build thread was back in 2012?!?

dave

That gave me a Chuckle.

Bob
deemery Posted - 12/07/2019 : 7:40:18 PM
I wonder what the guy in the video would make of the fact that the first post in this build thread was back in 2012?!?

dave
railman28 Posted - 12/07/2019 : 6:45:00 PM
Yes it does fit better.

Bob
deemery Posted - 12/07/2019 : 6:39:41 PM
Structure definitely fits better on the extended foundation.

dave
railman28 Posted - 12/07/2019 : 5:48:57 PM
On the Video; I find it very interesting. For ME, I don't understand why you spend that kind of money for a kit and not get the full benefit of all that detail. I build kits in multiple too. Like Freight cars. But, two complex structures isn't my cup of tea.

On The Shop Kit. I would recommend the building of a story at a time. Start with the main framing. Do not add the floor supports for the 2nd story until you have all the machinery and line drives in place. You need all the access you can get when you add the belting to machines. Yes add lighting and make the roof and at least one wall removable for viewing.

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/07/2019 : 2:39:58 PM
Well, I hope I didnít sound critical; I was hoping to strike a balance. I did watch most of it and will watch part 2 when it becomes available. I noticed he was unhappy with warpage in the walls and I want to see if everything goes together ok. Sort of a cliffhanger.

Mike
Bernd Posted - 12/07/2019 : 11:40:32 AM
You're welcome Dave.

I found his video's a bit long winded but interesting at certain points. I watched his video of making buildings just using blocks and then gluing on the exterior shell very interesting.

Bernd
deemery Posted - 12/07/2019 : 11:17:29 AM
Water putty is drying...

Once it's dry, I'll repaint and I think the patch will blend in nicely.

dave
TRAINS1941 Posted - 12/07/2019 : 11:02:27 AM
Dave if you notice in the video the building overhangs the foundation on both ends.

You did a good job by extending the foundation.
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/07/2019 : 10:15:01 AM
The video is entertaining in a funny sort of way. He spends a lot of time complaining how much time it takes to do the details and explaining how heís going to skip a lot of the work. On the other hand these are apparently the first large craftsman kits heís done and despite making the usual little mistakes heís doing careful work. Wichendon is intended for his layout, which might affect his approach and reluctance to spend time on details that wonít show.

Itís interesting that heís doing two kits by different manufacturers simultaneously.

deemery Posted - 12/07/2019 : 09:35:23 AM
Thanks, Bernd. "Wichendon" is a great kit (except maybe that foundation piece), the interior details are very well done and the kit goes together very smoothly.

dave
Bernd Posted - 12/06/2019 : 8:21:06 PM
It's from this Galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZkntmY3Rg

Bernd
TRAINS1941 Posted - 12/06/2019 : 8:07:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Dave this Video was posted this morning. You might find it helpful.

-PZkntmY3Rg

Bob

An what galaxy is that from?????
railman28 Posted - 12/06/2019 : 7:21:06 PM
Dave this Video was posted this morning. You might find it helpful.

-PZkntmY3Rg

Bob

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000