Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elminero67 Posted - 07/04/2011 : 11:32:12 PM
i haven't posted on RRL for a while, so I thought Id post progress of the mining railroad as Im working on it-as a footnote, it is located in the garage, which has horrible lighting for pics, particularly for a sun-baked desert. It is on wheels and rolls outside when Im ready to take better pics, so bear with:
The railroad is a copper mining railroad set down near the Arizona/Sonora border circa 1940. Currently Im struggling with a mining town: When I started the layout, I didn't plan it with photography in mind, but lately that part of the hobby is starting to appeal to me.

The mining town shows some of the challenges: From this angle the dirt road leads the eye directly to where the backdrop ends: Another problem in this photo angle is that the track is too close to the edge of the layout for pics. Ideas? Suggestions?

This angle shows still under construction town from the other side. I had originally planned to build a row of businesses on the lower left, but after mocking it up realized that it blocked the train from operators and photographers: May do a low profile station instead, but looking for other ideas as well...

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ray Dunakin Posted - 06/27/2014 : 01:04:19 AM
Welcome back! And yes, I recognize that mill, it's the one in Park Canyon.

MinerFortyNiner Posted - 06/26/2014 : 11:34:50 PM
You've been missed, Duane. Wow, that looks like fun...its work too, but it certainly beats banging away at a laptop computer in an office...
BigLars Posted - 06/26/2014 : 11:14:35 PM
Duane,
Welcome back. It looks like you are having fun with the jeep.
elminero67 Posted - 06/26/2014 : 10:34:44 PM
Been missing the ON30 world and the friends I've made here, so thought I'd post a quick update:
I'm knee deep doing research on the evolution of the stamp mill and how the architecture reflected the available technology and materials. I'll see if I can get it published at some point... Over the last year or two, me and the trusty ol' Willys/Jeep have visited countless stamp mill and stamp mill sites in California, Nevada, Oregon and Idaho, to see what materials were used, when they became used and how the technologies spread across the west. In a nutshell, that's what I've been doing.
So in the meantime, Ill keep lurking admiring everyone else's layouts and projects,

Regards, Duane
(bet Ray will know this 1860s mill...)

MinerFortyNiner Posted - 11/04/2013 : 11:43:04 PM
I sent Duane an e-mail a few days ago...he is busy researching his mining interests and otherwise occupied with 1:1 stuff...I also miss his posts. Perhaps he'll drop by and give us an update.
CieloVistaRy Posted - 11/04/2013 : 9:20:50 PM
Yes, Duane. Where have you gone?
Pacbelt Posted - 11/04/2013 : 06:45:13 AM
Yeah, Duane!!
I just got started looking at your amazing work!!!
You & Verne pretty much model my back yard.... Even though I live in the Sonoran Desert, my heart is logging in the Pacific Northwest.

And Travis - AMAZING Saguaro!!! Anyone who's attempted those realized they're MUCH harder, than they look like they would be to model. [:-banghead]

Even if I were to attempt Southwestern Deserts - I'd never do HERE!!!! (Tucson!)
I'd need about a Million of those Prickly Giant, Woodpecker & Scorpion filled monsters!!!

You guys make difficult scenery look easy.....
If I EVER wanted to do desert, I'd do southern Nevada.
Make some rocky hills, get 100 cans of brown and tan rattle cans... DONE!!!
LOL!!!!!!!
darrylhuffman Posted - 11/04/2013 : 05:38:27 AM
It has been almost one year since any new photos have been posted on this link.

Have you abandoned all of us in mid-layout?

Your modeling is truly great.

Thanks for sharing.
elminero67 Posted - 12/21/2012 : 09:19:06 AM
Those look great-what materials/techniques are you using?
n6nvr Posted - 12/21/2012 : 02:32:38 AM
Definitely good looking. No saguaro where my roads run, but ocotillo will be in profusion. Then again, I might need a saguaro or two for some ideas. Any chance of a "how to" on them?
MinerFortyNiner Posted - 12/21/2012 : 01:41:23 AM
Travis, that is a fine looking saguaro...and ocotillo. And the Magma Arizona provides great inspiration for a layout project in any scale!
Ray Dunakin Posted - 12/21/2012 : 01:10:03 AM
Holy carp! That is a great looking saguaro! In HO, no less! The smaller cactus at lower left looks good too.
azflyer2001 Posted - 12/20/2012 : 09:35:59 AM
Here's a little teaser Duane. This ptoject is HO scale and will feature a standard gauge branch or short line similar to the Arizona Magma Railroad. This cactus still needs to be painted but you get the idea. I'm planning on somewhere between 100 and 150 more.

More to come soon.

Travis in Tempe

Download Attachment: Cactus-1.jpg
129.86 KB
MinerFortyNiner Posted - 12/12/2012 : 12:50:39 AM
Thanks, Duane...references to the articles would be a plus, I certainly respect your desire to publish on that topic and not stepping on that content here.
elminero67 Posted - 12/10/2012 : 4:42:38 PM
Thanks for posting that, I Hadn't seen the Ojuela bridge from that point of view. Hard to imagine even small tramway cars crossing that spindly span, I wonder if it moved and swayed like my version of it did on heavy trains?

Verne/Marty I just recently sent off a couple of articles for publication on mining camp architecture and landscapes to a publisher. I'll see what I can dig up that doesn't overlap those articles.
Im a little overwhelmed with work and "honeydew" projects at the homefront, but promise Ill get something out as fast as I can...which isn't very fast. Things tend to move slowly here in the land of manana...

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000